1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage What is the more stable and durable SSD ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Edde, 17 Apr 2012.

1. Edde

Edde What's a Dremel?

Hello to everyone.
    I am newbie in the forum.

And I am full of doubts. But the more immediate question I have is in relation to SSD. I've always had good experiences with INtel products and I'd buy a SSD 510 series, and now there was launched the 520 series SATA III.
    After that, some people told me the 520 SATA III is not mature about the drivers and it had bugs, do not know if it's true.
    I was advised to buy Corsair GT SATA III or SH100S3B Kingston HyperX.

Some people told told that Marvell was safer, then said it was better SandForce for speed. some said that synchronous memories are better ( more durable), but not everyone has it in the SSDs.

So... Here I am full of doubts, completly not decided. And I need to make a decision this week because I am building my new computer and this is the only thing I am not decided.
    I really wanted Intel since the beguining, but I don't know what people think about it, the experiences, etc...

I'll try to be clear what I want: I do not mind a small difference in speed between 5-15% of speed or the price.

All I want is an SSD ultra reliable, bug-free, and excellent durability. What would be the best option? OR what would be the best options? I prefer to make a good buy once than buying bad twice. I want one to use it in the sata 6.0 port for my MOBO intel DZ68BC.

Thank you in advance,

Edde

Last edited: 17 Apr 2012
  2. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Anything non-SF if you're worried about reliability. Also, yes Intel drives are regarded as the most reliable, and this is backed up with what some companies are saying and in this (albiet limited) etailer's return rate data.

4. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Intel's drives, or Crucial (M4, C300, C400).

5. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Well, there's a chance of bsod issues with the 6Gb/s SFs...

&, whilst the intel 520 was sold as being immune to the issue, there are still people who do have the problem with it.

Unfortunately, without installing a 6Gb/s SF & seeing if you're one of the vast majority without issues, there's no way of telling - however the SFs do have significant advantages in terms of nand longevity, data protection in the event of nand failure & maintenance of speeds in non-trim environments compared to other SSDs.

it's up to you though whether you'd want to try one or not - returning it for a refund/an alternative SSD if you did have the issue & it was non-resolvable after trying a few sensible troubleshooting things.

That's not to suggest that you could not buy an individual inherently faulty SSD using any controller of any brand or, for that matter, that you might not get something like the unresolvable cold boot/freezing issues with something like the M4, but that the bsod issue that a(n overblown) minority of people get with the SFs is something that you do need to consider.

You are correct about there being a difference in the nand; with the 6Gb/s consumer SSDs -

- there are those (almost exclusively the cheap SFs) that use shonky async nand which is much slower irl - nand typically rated for 3,000 cycles

- those which use sync nand (loads of SFs, the M4 & the V4) - typically 3,000 cycles for 2Xnm nand & 5,000 for 3Xnm nand.

- & those which use toggle nand (higher end SFs (though not the 520), the Corsair Performance Pro & the Samsung 830) - 5,000 cycles.

So, the 2 SSDs you've been recommended are both SFs & both use sync nand.

As alternatives to a SF, until OCZ sort out the low QD reads on the V4 (apparently the new Marvell controller), your best bets for speed & reliability would be the Samsung 830 (Samsung controller) or the Corsair 510 (same Marvell controller as the M4)...

Both use toggle nand, both have a decent rep & both are much faster than the M4 irl...

...the M4 having comparatively slow write speeds which effects performance when used as an OS/apps/etc drive - & obviously more so if you have a heavy write task.

Whilst it depends upon the actual usage type, the 830 will normally be considerably more robust in non-trim environments (though not as good as the SFs).

As to the V4, according to Anand's reporting, there should be a new f/w out for it that sorts out the low QD read speed issues shortly - but until it's actually released then there's no guaranty...

That in mind, although it's currently only available as a sync nand model but *should* end up being faster than the other 2 (& is really very good in non-trim), i'd be a little loathe to actively recommend it until the new f/w's out.

Anyway, that's a basic overview...

So, if you want the best chance of guarantying reliability & performance then it's a 830 or a Corsair PP...

Any SF has the chance that your machine won't play nicely with it - but there are some significant advantages if not... The async nand ones are much slower though.

The V4 should be the fastest drive when OCZ sort the f/w out...

& the M4's an average drive which, at the 256GB level (as the SH100S3B is 240GB so i assume you're looking at this sized models) is the slowest of the sync or toggle nand SSDs irl.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2012
  6. Edde

Edde What's a Dremel?

Hello PocketDemon, thank you for your reply.

Sorry, My english is not very good.
    So... We dont have Samsung SSD here. For what I want ( stable and reliable) , Should I get the 510 series or 520 series from Intel? Or Corsair GT ? Please, don't consider the price.

7. Edde

Edde What's a Dremel?

Oh, thank you, its a lot of information :)

So, my english is not really good. Let me see if understood. I should choose for syncr memories, right? And between 510 and 520, wich one I should get?

Thank you

8. Edde

Edde What's a Dremel?

Ok, so should I go with 510 or 520 series?
    The speed is not important to me, I want the more reliable and stable of these two ones. Thank you. The 510 have Marvell controler ( more stable), the 520 sandforce with sync memories.

9. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Not quite... ...& sorry that it wasn't clearer - i did not know that English wasn't your first language.

Whilst the Sandforce controller SSDs are generally fine, there are some people who have major issues - so ignore them if you are prioritising stability over speed (& other benefits).

To then make a simple list of 256GB drives that less often have problems -

1. Samsung 830 - toggle nand @ 5,000 cycles
    2. Corsair Performance Pro - toggle nand @ 5,000 cycles
    3. Vertex 4 - sync nand @ 3,000 cycles
    4. Crucial M4 - sync nand @ 3,000 cycles
    5. Intel 510 - sync nand @ 5,000 cycles

The currently highest performing for the model size is first assuming you're after a general OS/Apps/etc usage...

Notes -

1 & 2 are very similar in performance - but the 830 is better in non-trim.

3 is faster, overall, than the all the other drives in everything other than low QD reads & has better garbage collection for non-trim - but until a new f/w is released that corrects the low QD reads, it's not the best drive overall for general usage.

[NB notes to others reading - as i'm *trying* to simplify this down to for a non-native English speaker the 2nd sentence shouldn't be read *that* literally.]

10. Edde

Edde What's a Dremel?

Thank you PocketDemon, now I understand that Marvell controler is more stable. Thank you.

So... are you sure the Intel 510 have synchronous memories? synchronous is better, right?

Thank you again.

11. Edde

Edde What's a Dremel?

I appreciate the kindness and all the attention people here gave me in your answers, thank you. I think I'll get even with Marvell and synchronous memories.
    The model 510 has synchronous memories?

12. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Well, both the Marvell & the Samsung controllers are *less likely* to cause problems - though the chances are still low with the Sandforce ones.

(you wanted the least chance of issues of course)

& yes i am 100% sure about the minimum nand spec used in all of the SSDs listed - it's just something that i have as working memory.

(occasionally you might find an SSD of a given model with better nand than the minimum, but you have to buy based upon the minimum spec)

Personally, assuming you're not predominantly using a very specific data type & given your specific requirement for stability over performance, i would look at either the Samsung 830 or the Corsair PP for a general OS/apps/usage atm.

The intel 510 is noticeably slower than the others & tends to be quite expensive.

& the current toggle nand used tends to be better (used in higher end SSDs with a higher cycle count) than synchronous nand.

You just don't ideally want asynchronous nand.

13. Edde

Edde What's a Dremel?

Thank you PoketDemon,

Yes, I am designer, I am not gamer, I am designer.
    I will use the SSD for OS and some aplications ( the files I will save it in external HDD)
    My system will be :
    windows 7 64 bits, video card AMD 6970, 16 gigas of RAM, power supply corsair.

So, should buy one 510 series, 520 series, Cosair GT, Corsair PP or Kingston Hyper X SSD ?

Thank you

14. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

As i wrote in the last post - "Personally, assuming you're not predominantly using a very specific data type & given your specific requirement for stability over performance, i would look at either the Samsung 830 or the Corsair PP for a general OS/apps/usage atm..."

...& now that you've clarified your usage - which is likely to have a reasonably higher level of multitasking than a more basic consumer usage - there's nothing that would change my opinion (given your other demands).

To make it even simpler, unless the PP is much cheaper, get the 830 - since its f/w was updated, it's a slightly faster drive & will be great for what you're after.

(& if you can't get an 830, get a PP)

[Edit]

Notes for anyone else reading -

Again, this is about the OP explicitly wanting stability & durability over speed or other benefits - i've not 'gone off' SF (which would be the more durable but is marginally more likely to fail the stability requirement), but tailored things to what they're after...

...giving 2 drives that have the highest min nand rating, but also very good speeds (given that the V4 needs the low QD reads to be sorted).

Also remember that we're looking at 240/256GB SSDs here - the comparative differences are not the same as at the 120/128GB level.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2012
  15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I've been very impressed with my Samsung 830. Good solid 400MB write/500MB sec sequential performance. Absolutely no problems setting up, no weirdness, crashes, problems.. nothing. Plug and play.

The software that comes with it is nice too... seems to be keeping it in tip top shape.