1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

[​IMG]
    Just got this from a friend, traded him a 19" Monitor for it. Planning to make it a 1x7 urban commuter. Need to make it look a little manlier.

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

All ma new parts for the bike:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Making full use of the free delivery.. Three locks!

4. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Six locks actually - there are three wire locks ;)

I thought I might as well order Kryptonite locks for my brother and father too since they were dirt cheap compared to danish prices. And the wire locks were only 8 pounds a piece though the quality of them is a bit of a letdown tbh.. And the bike mount for the Kryptonite lock is rubbish..

5. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Made a good start to the year compared to last year, actually getting out riding. Not a massive ammount, been getting to Bracknell\Swinley Forest when I can get time off in the week and doing some yocal stuff. Makes you feel much better getting out on the bike, even if it's windy wet and muddy :)

Has anyone discovered Strava.com yet?, it's a good bad influence (you'll know what I mean if you use it).
    You basically record your ride via a GPS enabled device (Garmin\iPhone\Android), then you can upload it and share your rides with your mates etc. One of the interesting bits is you can create "Segments", basically chop out a particular section like a climb or technical decent and it compares you against anyone else that's ridden it. You can either get competive with the locals, compare between your mates, or just try and improve against yourself. All good fun and a basic account is free :)

Anyone on it fancy making a BT forum Club?, be nice just to see what people get up to on their bikes. I think you might need a premium account, which I don't have.

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I mainly dodge dog walkers and their crazy long leads but could setup one.

Re brakes ive ordered the deores front and rear along with a set of sintered pads for each. Still not sure if I want to upgrade the front shocks from the suntor xc60s. Something with a lockout could be handy though so its tempting.

7. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I may be interested as I'm trying to get back on the bike
    Just had a short ride this morning

[​IMG]

9. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

10. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

After receiving some parts for my dads old touring bike I've spent some time doing it up.

[​IMG]

Considering its ages, late 80's and the fact it hasn't moved let alone been ridden for the last 12 years its working very well.
    Obviously had to replace the tyres and unfortunately the brake hoods. After some research I found out that some dia-compe ones were likely a good fit and at £7 it wasn't much of a risk.
    I've left the mudguards on for now but the front one at least is disconcerting in that its very off centre.

Some of the parts;
    Cinelli 66-42 handlebars
    Sugino GP 130 cranks and cycloid 130 52T-42T-30. Not sure what the rear cassette is.
    Shimano 600 (non aero) brake levers
    Suntour gear levers and suntour xc derailleur.
    Mavic hubs and Wolber 700c rims.

Never ridden a road bike before, quite different to a mountain bike. Narrow hard tyres were more of a change than I had expected, proved just how bad the roads here are.
    That was easy enough to get used to but the friction gears are giving me some issues. I think its more the levers being very stiff rather than the change from indexed. One has loosened off a bit now already so will improve I expect.

11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

looks a lot like my old Raleigh, kep the mudguards, they add character, be a shame to lose them.

12. TomStar

TomStar What's a Dremel?

13. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

"So I herd you like bicycles"
    [​IMG]

The things I do when I'm sitting in my living room and realize something fits together.

14. rak500

rak500 Minimodder

You should avoid the wire locks when possible, I had a wheel stolen because of this. I use some cheapo security skewer set from decathlon. It's more of a deterent, but then again, it's better than wire locks addons IMO.

15. crash32953295@msn.

crash32953295@msn. What's a Dremel?

This is what I ride everyday to work

[​IMG]

16. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

My appologies if this breaks any rules here. Currently got a GoPro Hero 2 Outdoors + extras for sale: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=228696

Figured there might be a few rider but not marketplace regulars here just in case :)

Only used a couple of times in the car and house - never done any outdoor work with it everything as basically as new. Just haven't got the time for much riding so its really just money sat on my desk :(

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I don't know if its the ones in Chelsea or what, but do you find the top gear is set ridiculously high?

Bottom two are too easy to pedal on, and then the third is like climbing Everest with a small moon on your back.

18. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Thinking of building a new full sus mountain bike, can anyone point me in the direction of some good guide/ info

19. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Well, figure out your budget, consider and think about the terrain you plan on riding now and in the future, then go around to a few LBS's to test out some suspension systems (preferably going out on demo days to try the systems on terrain), read a good selection of reviews on the frameset and work out what parts would best compliment the frame from both the reviews and from knowledgeable people with a similar riding style/skill.

Truth be told there is no guide to a "full suspension mountain bike", as such a guide would be longer than you would be willing to read as it is such a complex and varied world of parts, technologies, and incomprehensible jargon that moves at break-neck speed towards ever more interesting and advanced complexities. Needless to say that even if such a guide did exist, it would be horribly outdated and irrelevant by the time it was made available to read. You want to know what frame is best to buy this year? Wait until the long-term reviews come out in a few years. Want to know what part is going to be the most durable for your application? You'll need to wait until market saturation is at such a point where the industry can have some grasp on how it performs in a multitude of hands rather than under ideal circumstances.

So what am I trying to say? Well, first of all I would never waste my time with a singular resource when trying to find something that will adapt to my riding style and requirements as otherwise you'll fall prey to bias and personal opinion of others, and secondly is that the best - nay, only - way of finding the bike that suits you is to physically ride one on terrain you're accustomed to.

Somebody like myself can talk all day about the benefits of this platform over that one, or their first impressions of this part or that, but none of this makes any real difference to how a bike works for you, nor is it very interesting (unless you really like the technical side of things - like I do :D ).

20. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Ok, so... I've had this wobble in my steering for a while. Just took my forks off to find the quill has snapped inside the fork.

Anyone know what kind of fork & quill I want for a hybrid bike? Or is this a bike for the bin :s