1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding First Scratch built, Questions and feedback

Discussion in 'Modding' started by FallenFate, 16 Apr 2012.

1. FallenFate

FallenFate What's a Dremel?

Hi all,
    I have since a very long time i have been on my as and admired all the projects that have flown past me on this site. :clap::dremel:
    And now its my turn to start whit a case.:dremel::rock:
    But before I get started with it, I'd like to check if there are some knowledgeable people who can give me some tips on my design. :)
    Here is my design and structure and everything I had thought to make in aluminum.
    The dimensions of the aluminum rods are 10mm apart from those on the sides that will be 10x20mm.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The case is going to be water cooled and therefore the large space behind the motherboard plate in which there will be a Phobya Xtreme NOVA 1080th
    That i hope will manage to cool the motherboard, 2gpu and cpu.

But the question is, the fans on the radiator pump air into the chassis and I'll do some type of hole so the air can go out or should it draw air from the chassis and send it out from the chassis?

Then on the other side where the motherboard and everything else is, will it require extra cooling around that stuff?

Sincerely
    FallenFate

2. Plodder

Plodder What's a Dremel?

Hi there and welcome. First of its not a good idea to mount the rad behind your mb like that. If you are pushing or pulling air in it wont work effectively if your rad and fans are cramed behind your mb tray. Maybe better to mount the rad at the top of case especially if the rad fans will be the only fans responsible for air flow. There are differing opinions on weather possitive or negative pressure is best for cooling. Personally i would have the rad fans extracting if i was going for a setup like yours. Main reason being the fans will work more effienciently pulling the air out rather than pushing the air in, (correct me if im wrong anybody). Placing the rad and fans above the mb would also mean they are close to your mem and chipset that arent being watercooled so that will keep a nice flow of air over them. I would suggest though that you have at least 1 intake fan, at the front on the bottom maybe, to help with airflow in the case as well as being near your hdd's to help keep good air flow over them as well as passive vents positioned in the bottom quarter of the case.

As to the actual cooling req for your cpu and 2 gpu's, its impossible to say without knowing what you will be using. So more details needed plz.

Nice design and good luck with it :thumb:

3. FallenFate

Thanks for your response:thumb:, and has now sat and improved my design to be able to have the radiator behind the motherboard plate.
    There will be an air gap of 3cm + between the radiator and motherbord.
    I do not really know what will be best pull or push but this is what the design now,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see I have added a fan that will either suck or blow out air and will even have my night train as it stands, I think the most effective will be the 120mm fan sucks in air.

Then, on to which components will be cooled by water,
    Motherboard: Gigabyte UD7 1155
    Graphics Card: EVGA 580 soc x2
    CPU: i7 2600k
    Radiator:

Who needs some air:
    Frame memory
    Note hd (OSZ Vortex 120GB x2)

These are my constituents and do you think this design will work?
    Or should I just glöma it and start over again?

/ / FallenFate

4. Plodder

Plodder What's a Dremel?

Well with that radiator you will have no problems at all with virtually anything i should think. Remember though good water cooling isnt only about the rad. A couple of pointers, make sure you pump is up to the task. Anything you put in your loop, any fitting any waterblock, tubing, quick release conecters etc all massively affect the flow rate. Ive never used a radiator of that size so hopefully some more experienced guys will be able to give you more pointers on that score. Dont mix your metals in your cooling loop (you probably know that already).

Personally i would still have your rad fans pulling air from your rad and blowing out of the case. How many fans are you putting on rad ? If you are using lots, ie 9 120 or equivalent thats a lot or fan power so you should try and utilize it for air flow in your case. This can be done by good positioning of passive vent holes.
    For example your mb wont be using up all that space so you could have vent holes to allow air to travel from the mb compartment/side of case to the rad enclosure. In my opinion with a rad of that size and (i really mean the amount of fans you have space for to mount on it), i would probably not use any other fans, especially if you are only using ssds, and i'd try and good airflow over the mem by good positioning of passive vents and let the negative pressure you would create in the case handle the air flow. Remeber though, if you have to many vents in the rad compartment you would reduce the flow of air from the rest of the case with this method. Hope this makes sense.

Something for you to think about anyway. Hopefully some more experienced guys will take a peek and give you some more concise advise, because i'm probably rambling on to much :)

I like the design though, good luck.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

With a rad that size I take it you'll be using fairly low speed, low pressure fans, so the gap at the back needs to be 30mm minimum, so I'd say you'll be fine.

If I were you, I'd utilise some of the airflow from that side of the case to cool the motherboard compartment, even if you only use a small cut out covered with mesh, otherwise it's just a large amount of cooling potential going to waste, and could allow you to clean up the design and remove other fans etc.

Otherwise, I like it - I'd love to see more builds with the super-size radiators as I think they are a great addition to the watercoolers/modders arsenal. Loving the minimalism of the front panel, but I think it could be better if it was entirely clean and didnt have the meshing on it, it somehow takes away from the overall design.

Now go build it.. :thumb:

6. FallenFate

I get how you thinking :thumb: and have now changed my modell:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think about it now? it will take air from the back and the floor.
    Do you think i will need more? and shoud i make the floor solid, so i dont mess up the air flow?:wallbash:

//FallenFate

7. Plodder

Plodder What's a Dremel?

Yea that looks more like it. I reackon you could have the floor mostly all solid . Then the air would be forced to move from the passive vent at the back (i think i see one there), across the mem and maybe have just a small vent along the floor near the mobo tray instead of on the bottom of the mobo tray.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2012
  8. FallenFate

Okej then i will make the floor 80/20 solid.
    And yes its mesh in the back as big as the I/O sheld is.

Now i just need to sitt down and order som aluminium and get some more money :eyebrow: :wallbash:

Thank you all for helping me to get the right design for best for my case :thumb:.
    I will post here to the project loggo when i start.

//FallenFate