1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Electronic hoarding - how much storage do you really need?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ainz, 21 Apr 2012.

1. Ainz

Ainz What's a Dremel?

Just a general question really. I currently have about 1.75tb storage (spread over 3 Hd's) with about 400gb free. I have loads of games and movies stored on my drives but kind of feel I'll never play/watch a lot of them again. However, clicking 'delete' always feels a step too far. Its electronic hoarding syndrome me thinks!

Anyone share this issue? Its of particular relevance to me as i am pondering a new build with an ssd for booting from, but i dont know whether to buy another HD and keep my old rig as it is or take one of the old HD's from my current build (and get into the realm of deleting stuff!).

2. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

If you do have ample capacity to keep them though, why would you delete them?
    I know what you mean, even films and ISOs of games that I doubt I'll use/play/watch again, but storage is cheap, very cheap, so there's no need yet to get rid of them.

I've got a 256GB SSD with two 2TB disks, and literally nothing to fill the room other than 70GB of music, a few games, and a few films. :D

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

No matter how big your hard disk drive it'll get filled eventually. I'm currently at about 3 TB storage and while more than 1 TB is still free I never consider that I might have too much free space. :)

4. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I'm a compulsive storage guys - Over the years I've kept anything i've ever thought I might need again and I also store pretty much everything I have DVD / CD wise digitally as well. Since setting up a Media Centre PC a few years back I'm now very glad I decided to rip my DVD and music. Currently sat at 3TB on a NAS, 2 TB within my PC and 5.5TB sat on the shelf waiting to upgrade my NAS. got about 300GB free at the moment.

5. Ainz

Ainz What's a Dremel?

I think whats at the heart of this is deleting stuff that deep down i know i'll never use, yet somehow the logic of 'I can just buy more storage so dont have to address the issue' kicks in and then it seems silly to remove something - and yet theres a good argument to say its silly keeping something if you wont use it!