1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 18 Apr 2012.

1. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

wow.. one of the few times I think I strong disagree with your rating... I found the combat so incredibly broken .. on normal is was too hard in the beginning and on easy it was pathetically easy the entire game ... I didn't see any sense of scaling or balance with it.. I guess it was just me, but that was a huge negative for my enjoyment.. the environments were also a huge pain to navigate, but I feel that's more of a personal gripe than a (as I percieve it) a mechanical design flaw..

I think I'd enjoy playing Dragon Age II again (bugs and all) rather than slog through this again.. I've owned both games and even bought the collector's edition ... (I very much approve of CDProject Red as a game design company) but I don't think I'd ever rate this a 95% o_O

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Managed to get it for £12 on amazon (a couple of weeks back) and IMO equal to skyrim in terms of playability even though they offer different things. Same it cripples my system on low settings :(

3. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

didnt realise it was free, kudos then.....

4. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Gonna get this when I've finished Skyrim

5. Disposeablehero

Disposeablehero What's a Dremel?

Not only are you exaggerating this was fixed quickly in a patch. The combat and game was great. DAII over this? rofl, ITS NOT EVEN A CONTEST tw2 craps all over Da II or 1 for that matter. Its getting 9's and 9.5 's everywhre for a reason. Said issues with balance were fixed with patches ages ago.

6. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

Relax. I think the response you got was a result of not googling before typing out a presumptuous post. I bought the Enhanced Edition and it's fantastic (went via GoG and got a bunch of extras also).

7. overlorduk

overlorduk What's a Dremel?

I agree about the combat, all that rolling about that you have to do looks ridiculous and is very annoying. I much prederred the combat in the first game. Also, TW2 is a beautiful game but sometimes there is just too much clutter and detail on screen that it's difficult to see the wood for the trees, so to speak. Sometimes I preferred the simpler graphics and wide open spaces in some parts of the first game.

It's still my second favourite game of last year though (after Skyrim) and I would say it's way above average.

8. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

But if the combat is bad, what else is left? These games mostly involving running around fighting, so having crappy combat (and most RPG's do imo), is a total downer. All you are left with some story which you get better on TV. I'll never understand why games like this and Skyrim get so hyped up.

9. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Yes we know its good. But what is extra outside of the opening cinematic and what is compiled in the "beefed up 3rd act"

Is it worth playign this game again witht he added content or not? This review sais nothing Joe's didnt say, and didnt go over the enhanced stuff enough.....woot woot its on 360......what is actually new in this release?

I appreciate the review, but a little disapointed that the new content was not covered off.

10. Deders

Deders Modder

I bet it would be worth playing the game a few times over before the extra content was included. Now it has extra areas to explore, I'm on my 3rd playthrough of the dragon age series right now just to see things I've not seen before.

11. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

I know what you mean, I managed the combat on normal, but it was definitely much harder at the start than once you'd unlocked a few talents.
    But you know you can change the difficulty on the fly? I resisted the urge, but you could set it to easy until you get your first few talents & then up it to normal.

12. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Here's what is said to be in the Enhanced Edition:
    (seeing as everyone keeps asking)

13. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Finally installing this now then. Joe says I'll hate it.

14. Bigspleen

Bigspleen What's a Dremel?

Except the combat is quite good, I mean name another RPG with better? Dark Souls yes, but that has about as good combat as you can. Other then that, cannot think of any. Combat had a good weight to it, lots of options and styles to play (Signs, Bombs etc..)> yuo cannot go in just smashing the buttons, you have to block, time your attacks...... Skyrim yes I agree. this game is underrated if anything, outside the hardcore PC audience very few even heard of this game.

You dont understand why? Well, it's not hard to see if you actually played it. Deep story with lots of great meaty choice, consequence, great writing, dialog, characters, beautiful realized world and good combat.

15. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

Yea, I know you could change it - I actually did change it to Easy when it got frustratingly bad - I just feel like I shouldn't have to play a game where I need to constantly tweak difficulty settings all the time.. *sigh* must be just me I guess.. and yes, I did install the patches and that didn't make much difference if I recall correctly .. I mean -really - having blocking use up your stamina meter?! (or whatever it was called, it's been a while) ..that just seemed a real poor choice to me :-/

16. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

The combat in this game is amazing. It's fast and fluid even from the get go when you have nothing unlocked, and takes time and skill to master.

The only people complaining about the combat are those who gave up early. The updated combat in 2.0 also made it considerably easier for those folks, took away some of the cooler but much harder to land moves such as the rolling stab from distance.

17. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I played it pretty far, I just found it boring. To me it was neither one thing nor the other. It wasn't thoughtful and tactical RPG combat like AD&D games, and it wasn't much of an action game either. I remember playing games like Oni about 11 years ago which had really fun combat and with all these big budgets and high technology, they still can't even match that.

The same goes for Skyrim too, and Gothic/Arcania, Risen, Two Worlds, and whatever else tries to pretend it's an RPG these days. If it doesn't have dozens of spells like Enfeeblement and Ice Storm and Delayed Blast Fireball and Poison/Disease which damages stuff over time and magic resistances and ways to pierce resists etc.. (or similar ideas at least), then it's not a tactical RPG. And if it's going to just be an action game or a hack n slash game, then I at least expect something which is as exciting and involving as Streetfighter 2 but in a first or 3rd person view. All these click click click, dive, click click click type games are just half arsed imo. They might have decent stories and flashy graphics but in a game I want something I can actually play with.

18. Bigspleen

You played an Action RPG and expected a tactical RPG? Thats your fault for getting a game and expecting something it never was advertised to be. AND With bombs, Poisons, signs, you obviously never played much as the game has a tonne of abilities, resistances, stuff that does damage over time, did you even play past the tutorial?

19. Bigspleen

You can sum up every RPG ever made as click, click, dive, click click, the truth as a lot different, for one Dodging, using bombs, signs are important at higher difficulties, Again stop playing on easy and go past the titorial. It's obvious you have an agenda, fact is nothing you said about the combat is remotely true. Click, Click, Dive, Click, Click is like saying every game is button mashing because you hit buttons. Not true and clearly shows you are trolling the game for some weird reason. Every game can be sumed up like that if you dumb it down to that level.

20. Bigspleen

PS: MEant blocking not dodging in post above.

Tags: Add Tags