1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crysis 3 preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 24 Apr 2012.

1. Bigspleen

Bigspleen What's a Dremel?

Your waiting for pressured high scores from immature game sites to sway your purchase? LOL.

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I reckon it was down to the fact People didn't like them cause they couldn't handle going from hunter to hunted. Either that or the whole complexion of the game changed and they didn't enjoy the later levels as much therefore blamed it on aliens. Aliens couldn't just be head shot and move on, some where annoying to kill.

3. Deders

Deders Modder

They were if you used the gauss gun with (or without) a mid range scope to snipe them out of the air, obviously automatic weapons weren't going to be much use but you can't really complain just because the game expects you to think about who you are fighting.

4. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

They should never listen to conventional wisdom, because it is, by definition, always wrong!

Make the best game you can, with graphics that make the best cards nVidia and AMD can send you cry and explode!

Yours in Imperial Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

If you're talking about the big flying squid efforts and their sparkly little offspring, then uzi lover is right - they weren't as fun or as satisfying to put down as the KPA forces. If you mean those crap floaty aliens inside the mountain/mothership, they were just sh!t. A padding-out level, if I ever saw one.

PingPong likes this.
  6. Deders

Deders Modder

I first played the game long after it came out, so I had no idea of what public opinion was at the time, (and my machine at the time could pretty much play it at the highest settings).

So when I played it without bias, I found the alien ship level to be quite enjoyable, a very atmospheric set piece. Once I realised that automatic weapons were useless, switched to the shotgun, I found it satisfying enough when I did land hits on the aliens as they floated past. Of course It was frustrating at times but they had the upper hand as they were in their own environment.

As the game went on, I'd rescued prophet (which was more of a survival level, the essence of which is often missing from actual survival horror these days) and got my hands on the Gauss gun again, their proverbial ass's were mine.

I loved the sniper rifle in Far Cry, would spend so much time taking out entire bases or people from cover that I actually got quite good at using it at medium range in an almost twitch reaction style to stop them in their tracks before they got too close. I found this very satisfying and I found that in Crysis, dancing, weaving and sniping my way through these aliens to be almost as satisfying and a lot of fun. So much so that I'd sometimes prefer to do this than to sit in the AA guns (although I also like to preserve ammo).

The aliens in Crysis 2 weren't half as much fun

Last edited: 26 Apr 2012
  7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

If you think the only part anyone pays attention to in a review is the score, then you are an idiot. Maybe a lot of people do only look at the number, but as for myself, and I expect many others, the review is where you find info on issues that might be more significant to you than the reviewer, and likewise for the good parts.

8. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

A bit unnecessarily inflammatory, methinks :nono:

Surely the best thing about shooters is the realisation of ammo penetrating skin, flesh ripping from muscle and bone, blood gushing out of punctures, skulls in smitherines... where's the enjoyment come when shooting fabricated beings?

9. Deders

Deders Modder

Whatever turns you on...

Also please see post #46

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

They were actually quite easy to take down, especially if you saved some incendiary rounds for the KPA assault rifle (the name escapes me, and I CBA to google). Fire off a couple of rounds at a distance, make for a dark corner and then cloak. They come to investigate and you give em a burst in the face.

My point was, I didn't get the same satisfaction from killing them and I did from taking out KPA grunts or even the aliens outside the mountain.

No arguments from me on Far Cry's sniping prowess - it was epic. Again though, another game that suffered from the inclusion of later enemies.

Agreed.

11. Deders

Deders Modder

I partially agree with the whole trigens thing, on the one hand they were very difficult, but then I guess they were supposed to be. Some of them had impossibly long reach and there was no guarantee that you would survive any given encounter (frustrating when you can't save but kept you on your toes). On the other hand the feeling I got when I overcame insurmountable odds (sometimes with full health and armour) I remember points where I had to take deep breaths before continuing.

I do remember repeating some parts many times over just to find the most optimal way to kill everything, which was fun in it's own right.

12. Bigspleen

Bigspleen What's a Dremel?

How long have you been on the internet kid? The majority of people look at the score and start trolling and start posting their one sided biased without a second though please. Ironic the name calling no?

13. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

*whispers* Don't tell anybody, but I'm with you.

Whenever you leave that ice dome...thing, and all hell breaks loose my heart was pumping and my jaw was scrapping the floor with the intense action and stunning visuals. I loved that part, and there wasn't really much left after really. It helped mix things up a bit and I for one welcomed it.

Crysis is probably my most replayed game since my long forgotten teenage years.

Tags: Add Tags