1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Should I return my monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phillthy, 24 Apr 2012.

1. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Certainly am, now which part is another matter ;).

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The Dell monitor is a bit higher end one, so you should see a bit less backlight bleeding. I suspect that you should see none or nearly none, on wide screen movies. I have the U2410, which has non on any wide screen movies, but, of course you do on a full black screen. And well.. you see the price tag. :/

If you want 0 backlight bleeding, you will need, as 3lusive mentioned, to look in the professional market. And those are very costly monitors. Like reaching well pass 1000+$ Can/US for a 24inch, and that is still a base line professional, and goes way up.

The only fix to this issue are OLED screen, where the pixel themselves makes light.. so because you don't have a backlight, you solve the problem. But these share their own problems (for now), including high price.

Phillthy likes this.
  3. Phillthy

Phillthy What's a Dremel?

I'm actually not too fussed by bleeding as long as it's not massively noticeable so hopefully I'll be happy with the Dell.

Thanks very much for the info again! :)

4. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

What's the difference in price then? I'm currently budgeting for the monitor from the op but if the dell one isn't much more and better quality I may go for it. My main addiction of choice is EVE Online. So I'll be in space, in the dark, a lot. Haha

5. Phillthy

It's around £40-60 depending where you buy from.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you are playing games that has a lot of dark scenes, then perhaps an MVA panel would be better choice, as you would get no backlight bleeding. MVA is a "cheaper" version of PVA technology if you will... but that was not it's design goal, rather provide TN panel like performance (initially, that was before IPS panels where fast as today). And it does, but also inherit many of it's problems. I mean I don't know the game... but something to keep in mind, if you have a too much of an issue with the backlight bleeding your current monitor. Else then that, no problem.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2012
  7. Nomaipaker

Nomaipaker What's a Dremel?

What are you waiting for? Go have it replaced asap

8. Phillthy

It was collected yesterday Nomai, just talking about replacements and alternatives now! ^.^

9. Phillthy

Replacement Goodies!
    [​IMG]

10. Deders

Deders Modder

(me too), LG's customer service is excellent, they picked mine up when it was out of warranty and dropped it off with a new power section a few days later.

Edit: didn't realise there was a 2nd page

11. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Excellent, that seemed quick. Make sure you're in a dark room when you're checking for backlight bleed, because a dark screen in a well lit room can be very deceiving.

Also, remember that a slight bit of bleed in the corners is not something unusual or should you worry about too much - it's kind of subjective how much people will make do with backlight bleed. I'v had monitors with it in the top and bottom corners and have only noticed it while watching a movie with black borders. At all other times it wasn't noticeable, but that depends on how severe it is of course.

12. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

Well the issue that really forced my upgrade from my archaic old system is the fact someone bought me BF3 fr PC and my current system will not run it. At all. So while my main addiction is a space game with plenty of darkness I'll also be playing Anno 2070 and BF3 probably Diablo 3 when it comes out and the witcher as well.

Current monitor setup is a 32" Samsung HDTV but I wanted to go down to a monitor as the bigger screen seems to lose a lot of the fine detail, particularly on text and numbers. Would the graphics in my sig be able to run a better resolution on the bigger screen? Or am I best of actually getting a monitor?

The problem with eve is I think my old graphics card can't handle much and in the game settings there is only one resolution option. I can get the desktop to run 1080p easy (and hence nigh on illegible tiny icons) but the game won't do anything other than this one res.

13. Phillthy

3lusive

I've tried a few different tests with it so far and I'm very impressed, there is a small amount of bleed in the bottom right hand corner around the power switch but it's barely noticeable and only when the screen is completely black.

Apart from that it's spot on! I'll probably give it a bit of a tweak once my system's up and running though (only tested it using a DVI port on my laptop :) )

14. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Can I just ask, who are you dealing with that sends out replacement goodies in such a short period? I think I want to marry/do business with them.

15. Phillthy

Haha, hold back on the marriage!

I received an email from the place I bought the original yesterday saying they had received the item and it was indeed faulty, I should expect my refund within a few working days.

In the mean time (since I had the money) I ordered the replacement from Scan yesterday, which arrived today! :D