1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage got an SSD itch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by minimad127, 25 Apr 2012.

1. minimad127

minimad127 CPC Refugee

ok so basically i have f all money,

but just browsing (as you do) i have spotted the OCZ 32gb onyx ssd drive for ~£40 (http://www.ebuyer.com/199805-ocz-32...ad-125mb-s-write-70mb-s-15000-oczssd2-1onx32g) and now have got myself seriously considering upsetting the wife and buying it to use as my OS and program drive since i am still using a nice old Samsung F1 drive as my OS and storage drive (*of course partitioned) and just wondering how much quicker it would likely be and if it would actually be worth while upsetting the wife over

so guys what do you think?

2. Phillthy

Phillthy What's a Dremel?

Hey Mini,

Which operating system are you thinking of installing? Windows 7 will pretty much fill that leaving next to no room for programs. If you could save a few more quid and get at least a 60/64GB you would probably be a lot happier in the long run.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I read that title as "got an STD itch" :worried:

I think you should save up a few more pennies and get a Crucial M4 64GB for just £20 more. You'll be much happier for the extra space and it's a faster drive all in all.

4. minimad127

minimad127 CPC Refugee

ta very muchly for the suggestions

as to the title, i guess the Mrs would be more angry at me if it was the STD than the SSD, so i guess i could use that as a plus point......

otherwise, will be vista 64 (yes i know! but as stated no money so have not bee able to upgrade to 7 as much as i would have liked it, but hey only me working 3 kids and a stay at home wife what can i expect - must get her back to work)

5. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Another option if you are using Windows 7 is to use the small SSD as a cache drive, and it will cache your most used files. I can't tell you how, maybe Pocket Demon will be able to help.

6. bleeper

bleeper What's a Dremel?

+1 on the crucial drive, so much better bang per buck. Even on sata ii it screams compared to old HDD!

7. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Wouldn't recommend that small a drive. Go 60GB minimum so you get some programs as well as the os on there...

Sent from Bittech Android app

8. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

The most immediate problem with a SSD caching option is that it needs either an isrt compatible mobo or Win7...

Well, intel's Smart Response Technology i think is only on the Z68 & Z77 boards (though based on the drivers will work on any OS from XP onward)...

...whereas, for SSD caching, you'd need to be using a software based implementation...

Now, the OCZ Synapse & Crucial Adrenaline (& all other consumer options i've seen) that are sold specifically for caching use Nvelo's Dataplex software... ...whilst it 'should' theoretically work with any SSD, it appears to be only sold to OEMs & SSD manufacturers.

This works around the issue of needing a specific mobo, but you need to have Win7.

(Oh, & there have been reports of issues of the software not working properly all the time)

Personally, whilst i guess there 'can' be situations where a caching SSD would be a reasonable budget option, i don't regard it as the best use of money...

...however, it doesn't appear to be available to the OP at all anyway so is moot.

(i'm assuming he's not using a Z68/Z77 mobo)

Otherwise, i would agree with the couple of comments that the OP should really be looking at a 60/64GB SSD minimum... ...either a *sync nand* SF or a M4...

(the SF should be the faster one & would be far more robust since Vista doesn't support trim - *but* there's a small chance of compatibility issues that would result in you needing to return it & getting a M4)

...okay, they're certainly not as fast as the 120/128GB ones but, not least since the Solid drive is no great shakes, it would be poor value for money to be going for something too small.

Okay, normally i'd say that a 60/64GB wasn't great value for money either, but if cash is *that* tight then... ...well, better to get something that's got a bit of flexibility to it than running things that are going to heavily cripple things from day 1...

...Vista being something of a drive hog by itself & it's very unwise to be overly filling a SSD (unless it's for effectively read only data).

9. minimad127

minimad127 CPC Refugee

thanks all for the advice, guess the Mrs will be pleased as looks like i will have to wait a while for a upgrade -

and no still running a very old system, E8400 at 4ghz, 4gb of ddr2 800 and a 8800gt with vista, but hey once the Mrs is back at work i can probably start pushing for an upgrade as its been 4 years ish since i last got an upgrade so i think a full system might be in order...

or one can dream at least!