1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mod Gods - The Best PC Mods Ever Part 1

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

3. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

One more question since I could not find it, last year (or before that) there was a casemod compo where the winning case was going to be produced by a company. Did it ever happen?

4. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

My favourite is still Orac3. I don't usually fully appreciate the normal box shaped type mods but the attention to detail was spectacular at the time.

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

+1 The mod that launched a thousand mods. WMD was cool too, but Orac3 was there first.

A bit-tech piece on the Gods of Mod without mentioning Orac3!! Shame on you! Back in the day the orac articles were bit-tech's signature piece.

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2003/09/16/orac3_part1/1

My favourite mod of all time though, has to be Renovatio:

http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/systems-2010/renovatio/038.htm

Got to love that idea, the colour scheme and the implementation.

6. Risky

Risky Modder

7. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

+1 on that.

Who did even win the comp ? Last thing I recognized was a semifinal of a view Huge not so smart cases

8. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

It was the Phobya case design competition. Phobya is currently in the process of ironing out the details and making it - takes a while to do.

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

+1 Nexxo, if you can sort your pics out you might land a place in Mod Gods ;)

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'll +1 this as well, I haven't seen the photos of this mod for years.

11. Pelihirmu

Pelihirmu What's a Dremel?

Where's Orac3? :p

12. Shirty

I think the "Part 1" gives it away, I'm sure most of the classics will appear in subsequent instalments...

13. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Dark blade for me has to be one of my all time favs. It doesn't look like it was built 6 years ago, it could have just been finished yesterday.

14. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

THIS. I hope orac3 appears in part 2 of this installment, otherwise it's incomplete!

15. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

A very good list posted , and so are the suggestions here

what ever happened to Heavy Metal by Cord8 ?

16. Spectrator

Spectrator What's a Dremel?

Brings back memories! I remember those days when I just started overclocking and modding my first PC and found the Orac3 project that blew my mind! And with it bit-tech.net =) Been hooked up ever since.

17. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

You might want to change the title to Best Mods Ever on Bit-tech...you cannot fathom the amount of case mods or custom builds through out the world that would be worthy of such a title, you would have to compile a global one it would take years to do.
    This appears to be based on the amount of views on bit-tech.

18. Shirty

Well, this is Bit-tech... you wouldn't expect Google to run a feature on the best iOS apps, even if some of them are also available on Android!

Not taking anything away from the plethora of awesome mods not featured on this site, just pointing out it's a commercial business.

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Dark Blade :eeek::D I remember seeing this when I wasn't a modder & just had no idea how something like that could be made, times have changed & found it was CNC :D but that project still rocks hard but makes me want a lathe quite a lot looking at mods like that, think I can get by without CNC but a lathe would really come in handy. :D

BaDassumption - Never seen it before but it looks excellently made, very creative & old sci fi style crossed with classic cars even, yep a kickass project for sure. :D:rock:

Blackmesa - Another one I don't think I've seen before & only heard about it, totally awesome & love the smashed window side panel & all the decayed weathered effects on this, top quality half life mod.

Battlefield projects look perfectly done, well worthy of the spot. :D:clap:

Nice part 1, this will be an awesome series to follow. :) I don't know what is wrong but don't seem to get front page updates by email anymore, even checked in the sub part & it is checked to receive them but I don't, not even in my spam.

One little request though for whenever a members project gets chance to do a front page article, I looked back at Orac3 with it being mentioned a lot on this thread & it totals to 76 pages spread out over 5 front page articles :jawdrop: vs the 6 pages people get now, some projects that's enough, some though is no where near enough so can make for a very half arsed article because the modder has to cut absolutely loads of info & pictures out so it just gets so diluted it can look a lot more simple than it was.

The Orac3 articles was a true mini project log so with it having depth in an uncluttered order was like a 2nd chance to write it out after the project so it all goes together wrapping up perfectly at the end, this will be a big factor as to why it is such a popular project. of course it is an awesome project but still a high quality article like that will make a big difference for the projects people remember well, just my 2p. :)

Actually it has given me an idea, a very good idea.
    Do the logs live day to day like some do including me & after the log could we have 1 more category for completed case mods & scratch builds in another part of the forum so they don't hog new projects time & so we can re-write the whole log in a better way so it all makes sense, would be similar to the Orac3 article but on the forum & we could add links to the first line of the project pointing towards them. I think it's a great idea because when doing a 6 page front page article the link to the mini log could be added instead of the cluttered log which could be difficult to read through if it's a long one, I think it would make it a lot better, if people can't be bothered then they miss out on having an uncluttered log which is easy to view. :)

Last edited: 26 Apr 2012
  20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Fair comment. :D

But the title does sound better doesn't it? :D

Last edited: 26 Apr 2012
Tags: Add Tags