1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Raspberry Pi review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 16 Apr 2012.

1. wintermute33

wintermute33 What's a Dremel?

Got one on order, but they sent a confusing email about not coming until August. Can't wait to mess with it.

Does anyone know if Scratch will run on this? I'm just wondering if the Ubuntu version would run on the Debian remix. If the main idea is to get kids into programming, this would be the perfect introduction.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Scratch has been talked about an awful lot for the Pi. I don't know if anyone has actually got it running on the real hardware yet (they may have done so on a Virtual Machine), but it's probably in the pipeline.

3. Eldorado

Eldorado Needs new glasses..

Definitely gonna get one when available.
    I hope my son jumps all over it like I did with my Speccy back in the day, but I kinda doubt it :(
    Either way, I'll find a few uses for it.

4. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

For 1GHz you need cooling!

5. davidm

davidm Minimodder

You could always run "FUSE" on it and get the best of both worlds ;)

6. bleeper

bleeper What's a Dremel?

Ah, that'll explain the fan on my mobile phone :)

7. bleeper

bleeper What's a Dremel?

Obviously the difference between now and back in the 80s was back then it was likely your Spectrum was the only computer/games machine you owned whereas the Pi has to compete with everything else.

I am not sure if it will produce a nation of programmers as intended but I would really love to get my hands on one.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I am encouraged, but skeptical, about the educational aims of the foundation. Indeed the whole reason for the existence of the foundation in the first place is to improve computer science education, but education isn't going to be the panacea that people like Rory Cellan-Pr**k-Jones from the BBC keeps blathering about. It is a very cheap piece of hardware which schools <edit> and children </edit> could easily afford, but this isn't going to turn every school child in 5 years time into a programmer.

It will be interesting to see what's in store for the upcoming educational launch. However, as a nerd/hacker, I cannot frikkin' wait to get my hands on one. Or several. I really wish RS would tell me when I can expect to be able to order one!

PS, by the way Rory, HTML is emphatically not programming - the clue is in the acronym: HyperText Markup Language. It's an easy start, but it's not programming.

9. bleeper

bleeper What's a Dremel?

Yes RCJ does come across as the kind of guy who, when jotting down an email address, will ask "is that upper or lower case?"

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

He is the epitome of the BBC dumbing down their content. Claiming that he wrote an app when all he really did was write some HTML was really the straw that broke the camels back for me; it's no wonder that real programmers were, as he put it, "sniffy" about it.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Quick update: I've been playing around with Quake III Arena on the Pi, and performance is surprisingly good: lows of about 27fps, highs of around 45fps. That's with default textures, bilinear filtering, all special effects on, but admittedly at 640x480.

Still, not bad for a £29 piece of hardware - you'd spend more than that on a graphics card to run Q3A.

Tags: Add Tags