1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Keyboard Conundrum!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phillthy, 27 Apr 2012.

1. Phillthy

Phillthy What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

As you can imagine I've read a CRAP tonne of reviews for a whole host of keyboards and I don't seem any closer to a decision.

I have a few keyboards in mind but I just don't know which to go for.

The first is a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate.
    I really like the look of this and pretty much would have bought it without hesitation but there are plenty of reviews on line documenting keys sticking, it seems a fairly common fault. Hence my dubiousness. This along with your warranty being void if you remove a key is more than a little off putting.

Second is a Corsair K90.
    Another one I really like apart from the macro keys! There is no way of removing them obviously so Its something I'd have to get used to. I wouldn't mind if it was just a row or two and they were mechanical but it's also the mix of key types that puts me off a little.

Lastly there is one of the Logitech keyboards (G110 or G510)
    I don't mind the look of either of these but I'm not sure how much use I would get out of the screen on the G510. Which brings it down to the fact that neither of them are mechanical.

I'm looking for a decent keyboard for gaming and occasionally other typing work, with a blue back light and a good reliability record!

Thanks in advance! :D

2. Phillthy

Bump!

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Firstly, I'd leave the thread longer than a couple of hours before bumping, especially during a working day ;)

What's your budget?
    Have you tried any mechanical keyboards? I would highly recommend trying as many as you can, with different switches so you can get a good idea which you think would be best for you.
    I'm currently typing on a KBC Poker with blues which I love. However before that I had a Poker with reds (which my brother now uses) and various other keyboards, just bought one with browns and another with reds (a PLU-87 and Noppoo Choc Mini respectively)

Out of those 3, I wouldn't choose any of them really, since you can get better alternatives in my opinion.

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Same opinion here.

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, ewwww Razer. Corsair K90, no thanks rubber domed F-keys. G510 double ewww for being rubber dome.

For the same money as the Razer or Corsair, you could get a decent mechanical board that I'm sure you'd be much happier with. WASD, Filco, even Rosewill make decent boards in that price range, I'd go with any of those over what you have listed

5. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

+1 switches. Need to find what's for you.

IMO Filco if you have £100. These are available in the UK.
    If you have £200+ happyhack2, only shipped over from the US. (if you like to crouch with Ctrl and play lots of amazing fps like 1.6 ;), don't buy this).

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I got a Razer Ultimate and a Filco with brown switches.
    Love the sound of the razer and the back lit keys but the NKR on the Filco makes BF3 so much less frustrating no more key locking.

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Filco TKL with browns would be my first choice, great introduction to mechanical keyboards.

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I agree, go with a Filco with MX brown. It's one of the best options for UK buyer as you can buy it locally and it's a high quality board without gimmicks. Browns is the safe choice for switch as it is quite 'generic' in terms of the MX family. It's sort of a bit of everything. Tactile but not overly so, not too heavy and not super light. It's a good all arounder, for both typing and gaming. But for **** sakes, get the ANSI version. You'll thank me later once you want to customize it.
    Otherwise if you're looking for a bit of 'bling' I would suggest Ducky Shine, or if you're looking for something smaller perhaps the KBT Race.

9. longweight

Oh yes I forgot to say.

ANSI all the way, such a better layout!

10. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

Ok, I joined this forum knowing little to nothing about computers in general, now there's all this info on different keyboard types. Aren't they all the same? With letters and numbers you push? What are switches for and what's their significance?

11. longweight

12. IvanIvanovich

Yeah... input device is the MOST IMPORTANT part of the pc. It is 100% how most people interact with the machine. Sure, not everyone will care but if you spend a lot of time on your pc, like I imagine most of us do, why would you want to skimp on the only things that you have real interaction with? Spending a little more on a more reliable and comfortable keyboard just makes sense. Cheaping out on keyboards it's like buying a GTX680 and using a monochrome 320x240 terminal monitor... so many people spend oodles on their machine, and then the only things that really matter to use the computer is like an afterthought. Mechanical might not be the best fit for everyone, but you really should think about it when selecting the keyboard. There are some nice less expensive domes/membrane out there too, like Keytronic.

13. Phillthy

I'll have a look at the recommendations, thanks!

As for try before you buy, I don't actually know anywhere nearby where I could try out the different switches etc :S

14. longweight

You have to buy, try and sell on :p This is what I am currently doing, just got red, green and clear to work my way through on the MX switches then onto Alps / Topre!

One a month...

15. GeorgeStorm

Haha, longweight speaks the truth, I currently have the 3 boards I mentioned above, but I'm always keeping an eye out for a nice leopold with clears, and am considering picking up some stems/springs to try modding my poker entirely to ghetto greens to see what it's like.

16. longweight

I would love to buy a HHKB but no Windows key?!

17. GeorgeStorm

HHKB is a little pricey new for me, but I am keeping an eye out for one 2nd hand.

When it comes to ANSI vs ISO, I don't mind ISO, at all actually, only reason I'd recommend ANSI is due to the replacement keycaps.

18. IvanIvanovich

Who needs windows key? Ctrl+esc does the same. It's not too horrible of a reach on a HHKB. But I have more of a problem with where ctrl is... I hate it there for gaming. If I ever bought Topre I would go for an 87U.

As for try before buy, you might try Bruce at keyboardcompany UK, I hear they come out to lans and stuff sometimes. Or you might try signing up for the switch try sinklist.

19. longweight

I use it all the time for WIN+E....

Oh yeah and the lack of proper control...

20. IvanIvanovich

Sure, I use shortcuts too, but a dedicated key isn't a deal breaker on my older 101's.