1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Samsung UN46D6900 - Need help getting this thing working in the UK!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maximilian, 6 Apr 2012.

1. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Hi all,

I have posted this on AV forums but I'd thought I'd also post it here at my beloved BT, I guess a telly is hardware after all!

I hope you can help me with my issue!

I have recently won an ex-display TV from work, It is a Samsung UN46D6900. It is a USA model.

It looks lovely but unfortunately has no stand, no cable, no warranty, no manual etc.

I did get the remote.

Now I live in the Uk so I am assuming I'll need a Voltage step-down transformer.

I have found one for £20 at Maplins so wiill hopefully pick this up tomorrow.

My questions are:-

1. The TV takes a figure of 8 power lead. Will any old lead do? Should I be looking for one with a US or UK plug on the end to plug into the step down transformer I am guessing I will need.

2. From the online manual it seems this TV does not come with a power brick so I am hopefully assuming the power supply is built into the TV. Amazing if so, as its only about an inch thick.

3. Do all Samsung TVs use the same mounting system for their stands? I have found many samsung tv stands on ebay but have no idea if they will fit my model. Would samsung be able to sell the parts I need directly?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give, I'm very excited to get the TV running but am also petrified of doing something wrong and blowing it up!

Max

edit - this is the transformer I found, http://www.maplin.co.uk/300w-uk-to-usa-voltage-convertor-265288

Last edited: 6 Apr 2012
  2. Jackypoos

Jackypoos Will it blend?

Hey Max,

You'll find with most consumer electronics that they will work most places in the world. For example, my TV operates at 100-240V @ 50/60Hz. This covers the US (110V/60Hz) and the UK (230V/50Hz), the figure 8 plug should work as the US has just a Live/Neutral socket compared to us with an extra Ground pin.

Is this your TV?

3. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I have a D6530 so whilst not the same TV it is the same series so I'm assuming they will be similar.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2012
  4. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yep thats the one.

The sticker on the back of the TV does state 'AC 110-120V, 60Hz, 150W' so I think I'll need the transformer unfortunately(?)

5. TrevDX

Best Buy have this TV and handily show a picture of the back of the TV

UN46D6900 Best Buy

It looks very similar to mine (albeit in black and the rectanle base which is used for the black model in the UK)

6. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Thanks Trev, from the manual it looks like there is now external brick for this TV either.

Wall mounting is an option, but I'd prefer a stand.

I just took a pic of mine, sorry about the flash. Just need to find my ruler so I can measure the distance between the holes, I'm hoping the guide stand is pretty much universal for Sammys.

[​IMG]

7. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Your stand would be perfect! I have seen a couple on eBay and from the pic of your stand it looks like the perfect fit.

8. TrevDX

Hole spacings for my stand are

Horizontally : 200mm between holes at the bottom of the bracket and 100-102mm between the holes at the top.

Vertical spacing is 50-55mm (bit awkward as they don't line up vertically) and about 37-38mm from the bottom of the stand and 15mm from the top of the stand.

The back of that appears to have the same indents for clips/tabs as mine also.

Good luck with finding a suitable bracket.

EDIT : If you're anywhere near Oxford then you're more than welcome to nab mine for a test fit before purchasing one for yourself (would offer mine but a. it's white b. I might need it at some point in the future)

Maximilian likes this.
  9. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Thanks so much, I just measured mine and have exactly the same spacings.

I have seen a few stands just like yours for sale so will try and win one on ebay.

Thanks for the offer of a visit, but its a bit far for my push-bike from Newcastle :p

+ serious REP

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

If all else fails you could probably use a generic VESA mount. I'm more concerned about the tuner. As far as I know you'll only be able to use that tv as a monitor over here since ATSC has very little in common with DVB.

11. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Uh oh!

I was under the impression that I would be ok as long as I'm using a sky or virgin box with HDMI?

Am on my way now to pick up the transformer and hopefully a US power lead, will keep you guys posted.

12. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Yeah if you're doing it that way it'll be fine. The TV won't be decoding any info, the Virgin or Sky box will be doing that part of it.

13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Yeah, as noizdaemon666 pointed out you'll be fine as long as you don't rely on the built-in tuner.

14. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Well I have the Tv up and running. The picture is amazing!

The transformer is working with no issues, no heat and no noise.

BUT.. I can't get the Virgin V+ box working at all.

I'm just getting "this resolution is not supported" on the TV.

I have tried changing the display output settings from 720, 1080, 1080p etc.. none will work.

I'm guessing the V+ box may be outputting at 50HZ and can't find a way to change this!

Running out of ideas..

Anyone else have a US TV and Virign cable TV?

15. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Looks like sky and virgin boxes only output 50Hz, so this screen is just good for PS3, Blurays, streaming. Can't even watch a PAL DVD on it!

I'm going to buy a Sony Play TV and hope that works OK.

TBH I don't watch telly anyway so I'm just going to cancel the Virgin TV service, the only thing I will miss is the F1 :/

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

You might try accessing the tv set's service menu.

There should be a fair bit of chance for some option or other, since LCD panels usually always run at 60Hz (or 120Hz).

If you get into the service menu be _very_ careful which settings you change. Best bet would be to write down the previous settings.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2012
  17. mmmmmmatthew

mmmmmmatthew What's a Dremel?

Stand?

Have you got the TV up and running?
    I am still trying to locate a stand for it, any chance you could share the model number/any identifying info about the stand you got for it?
    Cheers!