1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other 3 day vacation suggestion

Discussion in 'General' started by mystvearn, 5 May 2012.

1. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Need some suggestions on places which are nice to visit in Europe for 3 days in August. Been to Paris, so that is out. Was thinking Rome, but heard lots of pickpockets, so not sure if its a safe place to visit. Planning to go with wife and mom. Would be better if the place knows some sort of English (so its easy for us to get by).

Looking for monuments, museums, or nature.

Not interested in clubbing, or shopping complex.

Thanks

Last edited: 5 May 2012
  2. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

what type of vacation are you looking for? i would guess from the Paris and Rome suggestions you are looking for museums and arts?

all large tourist destinations have issues with pickpockets so its not really something that should stop you from visiting a place, just be careful with your money.

3. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Why would it be better if the place knows English? In most major European cities there will be plenty of people who speak English but where's the fun in that? Pick up a phrase book, you'd be surprised how people will respond to you trying!

Prague
    Geneva
    Lucerne
    Vienna
    Bruges

It's Europe, we're certainly not short on awesome places to visit!

4. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Updated first thread. Looking for nature, museum, monuments/historical buildings. One place which offers a lot in 3 days without having to travel a lot of distances between the attractions

5. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

How about Liverpool, lovely weather apparently its in the 90's all year round. Friendly people from what I've been told you can leave your car unlocked with the doors open and the local children will look after it for you until you return. Only downside is that English is only spoken as a second language by most of the locals the rest of them speak something called Chavvish as their first language.

Failing that I'd vote for Vienna or Prague :)

6. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Vienna, Praha, Bratislava going there in summer myself plenty of history in each location could also split holiday between the three is a short hop by train between them.

Budapest also an option but is a longer journey by train than the others.

7. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Berlin is actually quite good.

8. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

I would add Athens except, like Rome, if you're going in August and it's a hot summer it will be baking hot in Rome or Athens, anywhere that far south really. How about Barcelona? Beautiful city, loads to see and do

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Stockholm. Beautiful place, tonnes to do no matter what you're into.

My GF agrees it's a fantastic place too, it must be then as she's Finnish - very rarely do they compliment the Swedes. :)

I've spent alot of time in Vienna, nice place if you don't mind dogs being in every eating establishment you go into. I think they've finally attempted to combat the 'every other footstep there's dog mess' problem as well though. :rolleyes:

Bruges is nice looking too, the only thing i noticed was a complete lack of atmosphere. Anywhere.

10. Matticus

Matticus ...

Yeah it is a strange one in Bruges, it is a touristy place but it seems as though the locals try to hide the best places and keep them for themselves which leaves a strange feeling in such a small place.

To have fun there you need to explore it more than other areas where the tourist attractions are pretty obvious, there are really cool bars tucked down alleys that you would never notice.

Food is super expensive there, even for things like chips you could be paying 4 or 5 euros. Beer is good there, really good as you would expect from Belgium. If you do go try and find a bar called De Garre, their own beer is quite epic but it is hidden down an alley and usually full.

It really is quite small. We ended up walking from one side of the main centre through the other and then quite some way outside the main town centre to get back to where we were staying and it took around 40 minutes at 3am while we were not fully sober. So it certainly checks the box of stuff to do without much travelling. The bus system there is quite good and not that expensive if you pre buy tickets in "bulk" (8-10).

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

True. Don't get me wrong we had a nice time there, chilling out and having a beer looking out onto the square and mooching about.

Depends what the you want out of a trip TBH, I only spent 3 days (I think?!?) there, so I can only comment on that amount of time. Like you say though, pretty small place.

12. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

been bruges about ten times. the party atmosphere is great if you know where to go. there is plenty to do there if that is not your seen. dancing on bars with women pouring drink down your neck yes pls

13. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

My shortlist would be:
    Vienna
    Berlin
    Munich
    Livorno

14. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

15. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Thanks all for the suggestions. Will look into it. Maybe not bruges :p

16. Canon

Canon Reformed

The pub?

17. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Nah, we don't drink :rolleyes:

18. Canon

Canon Reformed

[​IMG]

I'll get my coat.

Ljs likes this.
  19. October

October Mariachi Style

Venice?
    Pretty much anywhere in Ireland, you could see a LOT in three days with a bit of driving. Plus lots less money to get there, spend the savings on an extra day or two on holiday :thumb:

20. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Berlin is very good for a short trip away, I went with my girlfriend for 5 nights at the end of March, we enjoyed it so much but didn't manage to see everything we wanted as we ran out of time! Will be going back again later in the year for sure.

Food and drink is cheap compared to the big UK cities and the public transport is brilliant - always on time (which was a change from the UK!), there every type of transport I could think of... trams/buses/underground 'U-Bahn' and overground 'S-bahn' trains all for €6.50 for a day pass :D

There's loads to do and see, especially if you're interested in the war. If not there's still LOADS of museums in easy travelling distance. (here's just a few) Everywhere you look there's amazing architecture, both old and new and pretty much everyone speaks english if your german isn't great :)