1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Modding fever sets in.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Chanc3, 5 May 2012.

1. Chanc3

Chanc3 What's a Dremel?

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen!

This is my first thread in the modding section of this forum (and probably my first altogether), I've been an A class lurker for a while now, constantly checking up on people's project logs and forever getting inspired and urged to do some modding of my own, but before I go into detail about what I am intending to do, I shall break the ice and say a little bit about myself:

First off, I am the Managing Director of a graphic/web/marketing company that I started up with a friend of mine straight out of university. I love my job, but since it's still a small fledgling business the income isn't as consistent as I'd like, so on top of this I am also a Computer Technician at my Dad's business and the peripherals reviewer for yet another review site (which again I love, but sometimes feels more full time than anything else!).

So in my spare time I'm either gaming or browsing here, which has finally led to a moment of enlightenment of a design I'd love to get out of my head. However, before I do, I'll just say I'm very newb to the whole modding scene. I've little tools and even less experience so this is why I'm making this thread.

As much as you probably don't want to hear this, but I have all the time in the world for this project, which luckily is fairly future proof, so don't expect much from me!

So, faff aside I'll open my set of very newb questions with this one:

Watercooling:
    Do you need to have a certain size res? as in, do you need to have a large one if you have multiple loops?

Cases:
    How easy is it to bend acrylic with a fairly large curve radius?
    Is it possible to make your case air-tight other than where the fans are?

Electronics:
    Is it possible to connect LEDs to the fan headers on motherboard?
    If it is possible, could you make a LED pulse on idle and increase in pulse frequency when the CPU comes under load?
    Is there anyone on Bit-Tech forums who can help design a circuit?

I'm already starting talks with E22 about a custom res, however, is there anyone else out there who makes custom res?

I'm sorry for the many newb questions, but I better ask so I can establish the level of complexity and whether or not this project is plausible.

Anyhow, it's late, sleep for me. I look forward to your answers.

Scirocco likes this.
  2. Plodder

Plodder What's a Dremel?

Hi Chanc,

The size of the radiator/s you need is dependant on the total wattage of the componants you will be cooling.
    Also if you had 2 loops for example you would need a minimum of 2 radiators to keep the loops seperate. Personally i prefer single parallel loop than seperate loops as i think unless your loops and cooling system is designed accurately you get better cooling effieciency this way especially if you are using a single rad for the parallel loop. Nothing wrong with seriel loop either for cpu and 1 gpu its only if you had an extra gpu you may get much benefit from a parallel loop.

Acrylic is easy to bend over a large curve radius.

Making a case air tight would be be hard and totally pointless.
    Is the reason you are asking this to do with dust ?
    If it is just keep it posative pressure, ie more intake than exhaust and have dust filters on the intake. A few passive vents isnt a bad thing, but either way its really not needed to go out of your way to try and make it air tight unless you wanted to accurately control the pressure in the case which you wouldnt be able to do without special fans, pressure gadges etc.

I think i read on another thread once that fan headers can power 1 watt. As i am an electronics noob you best confirm this from some of the experts :)

As i'm sure youre aware there are people on this forum who are capable of making amazing custom resevoirs. Whether or not they take on paid work i have no idea, though i would be interested in this also for future reference :)

3. Chanc3

Chanc3 What's a Dremel?

Hey, thanks for your help. I was talking about reservoirs in the first question, not rads, but other than that, thanks for your help.

Hopefully going to have a chat with E22 about a custom res, just needed to know things like the size.

4. Plodder

Plodder What's a Dremel?

Ahh sorry my mistake. Res size dosnt matter other than maybe slightly easier in filling system in some situations, maybe :)