1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage external hard drive about to fail. which new one should i get.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mally91, 8 May 2012.

1. mally91

mally91 What's a Dremel?

I have around 500gb of stuff on my external hard drive and it recently started clicking and my videos were freezing. I contacted Seagate and they said I should look to back up my data onto another hard drive as it sounds like it might be failing (Me being stupid did not buy two when they were cheap). So I decided to run it through my dell support centre and it reported that my drive was dying. Its a Seagate 1tb expansion external hard drive.

So, what new external should I get?

been looking around and they all seem to be around £80 to £110 so I was wondering which are the best from your personal experience.

2. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

I personally use Western Digital HDD for internal and external drives. I have had 2 250gb and a 1 TB WD drives running in my server that I had in Iraq and still run for the last 3 years 24/7. I also have 2 drives from 2004 that i still use in the same server from WD that have had no issues. I have only had 1 fail in the past 10 years as compared to several maxtor/seagate drives. But this is just personal opinion.

mally91 likes this.
  3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I have similar track record with ANY drives not made by Seagate. Seagate I've had like 6 failed in last 5 years... I avoid them. Basically buy anything else WD/Hitachi/Toshiba. When RMA returns from Seagate (if you're getting one) use that as 2nd back up.

mally91 likes this.
  4. mo2580

mo2580 What's a Dremel?

i have purchased an WD 2TB external usb 3.0 hard drive and it runs for about 12 hours a day and i have had it for about 2 months and its still going strong, its a decent drive and i would recomend going for a usb 3.0 as in the future when most computers will be running usb 3.0 you will benefit from the faster data speeds.

mally91 likes this.
  5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

WD my life in 1 or 2 TB great mini NAS at HDD prices.
    1 TB version

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

mally91 likes this.
  7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Avoid seagate at all costs. I've been using samsung for years. I would choose any brand but seagate though.

mally91 likes this.
  8. mally91

mally91 What's a Dremel?

i like the look of this. can you stream movies from it do you know and what's the transfer rate like?

is pixmania reliable. just that i have never heard of them before.

9. mally91

mally91 What's a Dremel?

cheers everyone (+rep)

10. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Yes, full GB network speed (tested the 2tb one) and yes.
    Pixmania is a giant French company, which is probably why you haven't heard of them.

mally91 likes this.
  11. mally91

mally91 What's a Dremel?