1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft attacked over Windows RT software restrictions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 10 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Microsoft said so many times that WinRT will be for folder browsing/file management, IE with plugin and Office ONLY. Not even notepad, or the calculator.

I don't know why Mozilla complain about, it was known since day 1. Microsoft doesn't oblige Firefox to have a button to open a tab using IE ActiveX, so why would Mozilla force Microsoft to allow their web browser. If they they allow Mozilla, then they would need to allow all programs. I mean I don't mind, but Microsoft is trying to remove the desktop. I think if Metro allowed app switching like a task bar, and there was a file management as a Metro thing, then the desktop would not even be their. And that is what I expect from Windows 9 RT (actually I expected that on Windows 8 RT.. but I guess they were out of time).

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

How is this different from what Apple do with iOS? In fact, it's better because Microsoft are actually allowing alternate browsers to be installed in the first place. For some reason, Apple gets a free pass on these issues.

All this is ignoring the main point that Windows RT will be a pure touch experience, so talking about desktop Firefox for tablets is irrelevant anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

4. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

Because when Apple insists on a homogeneous 'family' of apple products and services it's cool, trendy, and innovative.

When M$ does it it's just inbreeding.

Anti-trusts suits, hipsters, and hillbillies aside; I think M$ needs to create a secondary brand that will just re-release it's products under new names with altered UI's all in an effort to hide what they really are. IE9 was actually rather good, not as good as the competition, but good. Yet many of us still keep our browser of choice on a jump drive so we can avoid having to click on an Internet Explorer icon whenever possible.

5. GoodBytes

We are talking about Microsoft, not "M$", Inc.

6. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

+1

Nothing wrong with Microsoft doing this.

7. Woollster00

Woollster00 What's a Dremel?

Anybody care? no?

8. Riffler

Riffler What's a Dremel?

Apple get their products made in third world sweat shop death camps, but it's Microsoft that has the morally dubious obsession with profit. Interesting logic, there.

9. yougotkicked

I know, and I don't begrudge this move in the least, I just like using that nickname for Microsoft b/c they are one of the largest companies on earth. I have seen that nickname used by many since at least the release of Vista.

10. GoodBytes

1- Actually it was used way before that.
    2- Microsoft isn't the biggest company on earth, and I don't even think they are close to be. I believe it's Apple, or at least Apple is the biggest tech company of the world.

11. yougotkicked

1 - I said at least, that was just the first time I saw the name used.

2 - I said "one of", and they are close. According to Forbes M$ is the 3rd largest in the world, Apple is 2nd Exxon is 1st.

Tags: Add Tags