1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Custom Triple Monitor arm (DONE(ish)!!)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Soulmage, 6 Dec 2011.

1. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Here is my custom triple monitor arm that is in the works. What I am still trying to work out is how I should fabricate the mounts for the monitors themselves. I already have plate with perfect 100mm x 100mm holes and closer holes in the center for mounting.

Any ideas are welcome.

Pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Height is adjustable while keeping the monitors at the same angle: (oh and the bottom bolts are temporary)
    [​IMG]

Adjustable pivot for side monitors:
    [​IMG]

I have 3x of these plates for the monitors but I just need to figure out a way to mount them so that they are adjustable:
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!

Last edited: 9 Dec 2011
    Scirocco likes this.
  2. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

I happened to be looking at a twin monitor mount yesterday but don't fancy spending nearly a hundred pound on one!
    Will be watching this with interest!

3. RiPz

RiPz What's a Dremel?

This.

[​IMG]

4. rastaman46

rastaman46 What's a Dremel?

who weld it ?

if that was me im never put monitor on it

(sry im welder)

5. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

I did. And no worries, I know it doesn't look great but it really is strong. And the most weight that will be on either arm is no more than 10 lbs (and that's an overstatement as they are 23" LED monitors)

I had actually started this stand a while back and the supprot arm I was using before was just 3 single pieces of 3/4 welded end to end and the monitors I had on those were almost twice as heavy and they held just fine.

How ever, being a welder, any tips for improvement?

6. Tealc

Tealc What's a Dremel?

You may be only putting 10 pounds on either arm but that central bit of steel and weld is going to have to hold up the whole weight of the arm and three monitors. Saying that though that square tubular steel is pretty strong but in that joint the weld is doing all the work.

Great idea though.

7. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Yeah I am aware of that. That is why when I put in the correct bolts with the nylon washers and such, I stood on it. :)

Again, I am aware that the welds look like ass but given that I had a simaler setup going for about the last 6 or more months with monitors that are twice as heavy as the ones going on this one, I have faith in my abilities. :)

And also given that I was able to stand on the current setup for about 5 minutes while I danced like a fool for the girl friend, I think this will be ok. :)

But any who, I figured out how I am going to do the mounting for the monitors and will post some pics of what I have so far tonight after work.

8. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

And now to show the monitor mounts part one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Part two will be the two mounts for the right and left monitors. The center one will be permanently attached in the center.

Also, quick question, does any one think it would be wise to put a steel 1/2 tube "spacer" between the two joints or would it make that much of a difference?

Last edited: 10 May 2012
  9. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

And she's done.... sorta...

Upon putting on the monitors I found that I messed up some where and the right and left monitors aren't in line with the center so I will have to make some adjustments. For the most part though, I am happy. :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am still debating on whether or not to do the thumb screw idea. With the way this is made, these mounts won't side off and the weight of the monitor (which isn't that much, damn these LED monitors are light compared to my older LCD ones)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any tips? :)

Last edited: 10 May 2012
  10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Very nice! Bet it was way cheaper than buying a triple monitor stand!

Other than the adjustments to make them all level, are you thinking about painting or polishing the stand?

11. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

I will be painting it flat black like the stand.

Also I realized something else while trying to make it so that I can adjust the height, I fail at geometry.

When adjusting the monitors on the ends they become askew and are no longer at the same angle as the center one. Basically I would need to adjust rotation as well or figure out how to keep them on the same plane.

(I re-read what I typed and am not sure it really makes sense... man I'm tired.)

Last edited: 9 Dec 2011
  12. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Figure I would resurect this and just show a few "fixes" that I have done.

Basically the whole stand has been working flawlessly with one down side, it was wobbly as hell when I typed.

First I welded some support between the horizontal pieces that connect the main arm to the stand:

[​IMG]

Then I welded some supports to the vertical post on the base:

Front:
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

Lastly I welded some small pieces on each individual monitor bracket but I didn't bother taking pics. I can if any one would like.

Any who, feel free to copy the design. Or if you would like I can draw up some designs if any one is interested. Enjoy!

13. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

i think thats pretty cool, and because it's hidden, it doesn't really matter wether it looks perfect, as long as it does the job properly. how much have you saved in total over a shop bought item ?

14. echo three

echo three What's a Dremel?

So did that fix the wobble then?

15. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Yeah it helped a ton!. The only wobble I get now is slight and it is from the desk it self.

I think all in all I spent maybe just over $100. I'm not completely sure as I wasn't really paying attention. I do know that it really wasn't much though. The closest I found with the same features were $250 and up.

16. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Just a another photo to show the "action" shot on my messy desk:

[​IMG]

And this one shows no visible wires!! (Sorry for the crappy photo, didn't feel like digging out the big camera so just used my cell.):

[​IMG]