1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards XFX nForce vrs EVGA nForce

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vega_moo, 10 May 2012.

1. vega_moo

vega_moo What's a Dremel?

Hi, Could anyone tell me, I had a EVGA NFORCE 680i SLI SOCKET 775 MOTHERBOARD which sadley blew up.
    Im thinking of getting a XFX NFORCE 680i SLI SOCKET 775 MOTHERBOARD as a replacement, as i want to try a different manufacturer.

Are they compatible? Will a XFX board work in place of a EVGA board? Will it work with all my other components?

Also, is this a good idea? Is the XFX ok? (my evga board blew a load of capacitors and someone told me this is quite common for these boards so i want to try and avoid getting another if i can)

Thanks!

2. Fire Strike

Fire Strike What's a Dremel?

As far as i am aware the XFX boards are exactly the same as the EVGA boards. When I had my nForce 780i from XFX it was just a Nvidia reference board with XFX logos and branding on it, so i'm guessing its the same for the 680i.

And yes, everything will work fine, just unistall the existing Nvidia/EVGA drivers and reinstall them from the Nvidia/XFX website.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They were both made by Foxconn or Flextronics afaik, only the BIOS varied a bit. They weren't the best quality at the time (2007/8).

4. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Honestly I'd use this is a good excuse to get as far away from nForce as possible and change/update sockets and motherboard.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I can recommend asus boards very highly. Get yourself a striker II nse or extreme as they're nforce 790 boards so a bit more recet. You'll need to do a repair of windows after installing it and I'd recommend flashing it to the 1402 bios.
    However, this might just be the time to ditch the aging 775 and get sandybridge.

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

My Asus Rampage has Foxconn components all over it. So I hope the quality is better now! :)

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

The boards were not ordered built to the best spec, and many of them failed because of it. Foxconn can make it great, or they can make trash, it's what the person buying pays for.

9. nuc13ar

nuc13ar What's a Dremel?

i own one (was two, but the store allowed me to return one). do a search for "tigerdirect" and "XFX 680i"

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Asides from the heat issues which I've now resolved with water cooling and a little capacitor squeal, my EVGA 680i is a top board and the first true enthusiast chipset I worked with all those years ago. If you get enough posts and live in the UK I think there is a 680i board available from the Bit-Tech marketplace for not much. You could certainly move to a cooler chipset but if you're looking for a straight transfer the 680i can be tamed with a little effort!

11. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

He will need new ram with a 790

But yeah I'd sell your old stuff and move on, leave 775 behind if you can

Not trying to shamelessly self promote here, but just so you know I will be throwing up and i7 965 with rampage 3 extreme system later for a good price

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Everyone uses Foxconn components, like rear I/O or sockets, because they are an industry standard, but actual manufacturing is another thing altogether: PCB quality, QA, capacitor choice, board design etc.