1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project: DIY CNC - V3 Reinforced Z Axis

Discussion in 'Modding' started by lenne0815, 16 Dec 2009.

1. Nortonfan

Nortonfan What's a Dremel?

Many thanks and sincere appreciation

Hello Lenne,

Just signed up to the forum to thank you for your great contributions and insight into this build. I have been a lurker, learning so much from all the information you have posted. As a machinist with 50 years in the trade, I know and understand the difficulties and hard work you have endured; not to mention the financial investment in time, resources and money. I believe there are countless individuals like me who appreciate all your have done to inspire the timid and expand our horizons.

Cheers from California,

Norm

2. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

Cheers norton :D

I didnt update this for a long time because the conversion to driven ball nuts took quiet a long time ( longer than i did expect atleast ) and i had some major problems with it, which are fixed now mostly.

im still far from the speeds i did want to achieve and as it looks like i really need bigger steppers for the driven ball nuts.

anyway there are some nice improvements: speed is up from 2200mm m to 3000mm m but now the more important factor: acceleration is way up from 80 to over 350 and thereby 3d code runs alot faster.

some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. lenne0815

And heres a video of me explaining how to setup stock on my cnc, have fun ;)

BTW: excuse my german accent, its just very german :D

4. lenne0815

And another vid routing Aluminium, now with a proper clamping setup ( and awesome music from Pulsar ;) )

Btw is anyone watching this at all ? :D

5. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Yes! Looking and learning. Thanks. :thumb:

6. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

Most certainly :)

7. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Whilst it seems so many people have access to million pound cnc machines now, i still have to do most old school and manual milling and drilling etc.

However i still am always facinated in watching cnc machines running and love these sort of videos, so i always watch them.

Teelzebub likes this.
  8. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Watching with envy ;)

9. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Yea, tons of envy... Still trying to talk the other half into letting me build a smallish cnc in the garage.

10. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Awesome machine have wanted a cnc router or laser cutter for years. Very nice looking build:thumb:

11. lenne0815

Thanks guys, was just wondering cuz general lack of comments ;)

Back on topic; yesterday i reinforced the z axis, im doing a lot of aluminium lately and the rigidity of the z assembly was more than lacking...

Got two 7075 5mm aluminium plates which are the same length as the moving part of the z axis.
    Drilled and routed them to support the spindle holder

[​IMG]

finished them and taped them to the old z part

[​IMG]

Filled the whole thing with foam ( this is far from ideal, but better than nothing )

[​IMG]

And put it all back on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn really test it yesterday but it already felt a lot stiffer, bit exited to do some tests today :D

If ure wondering what all this cnc building has led to, have a look @ TD Longboards

Last edited: 19 Jul 2012
  12. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Great job yet again Lenne! and also great to see the Longboard store! are you milling all of the "ULYSSES - CNC HANGER" still?

See that Suhner spindles still working like a charm too!

13. lenne0815

Yes i do, started just yesterday with a new batch :) ( and it was a day and night difference to the old z assembly )

The suhner is still going strong, i had to repair it once though, i bend the whole collet assembly with an overlength 12mm bit ( 150mm long ) that was damn loud :D but its easy to get hold of replacement parts for it.

I think im going to replace the whole z assembly with new aluminium plates over time, the profiles on their own are good enough, but for routing aluminium theyre not really precise enough.

Last edited: 20 Jul 2012
  14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Just waiting for you to go 5 axis.:naughty:

15. lenne0815

Thought alot about that but i think it doesnt really make sense at this point, i would need a completely rebuild x - z assembly and 80% of the 5D stuff is possible with a 2,5 D aswell as long as one thinks a lot about stock setup etc.

I might have the opportunity to build an carbon rear diffusor for an aston martin vanquish s, got to show some of that stuff here :)

Last edited: 23 Jul 2012
  16. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Hey dude. Probably be a good idea to seal the ends of your new z plate. That foam will wick your coolant like a som'bitch. We use it all over the place in AK as house insulation, and after a while the shell it forms will break down and then it's like a freaking sponge.

17. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I've lost track of this thread but have come back because I really want to build a CNC router that's big enough to rout most case panels. However, I don't think I can fund it. I'd like it to rout alumuinum but I've heard cheaper CNCs made of MDF isn't a viable options. All in all, I'd like to rout aluminum and wood and have it be pretty precise. Mostly be able to rout a cross, 0.047" and have it be very repeatable (for a keyboard key cap).

Lenne, would you buy a cheap CNC and upgrade or buy more expensive parts over a longer period of time?

18. lenne0815

You could buy a cheap China base cnc and converse it to ball nuts and reinforce the structure over time, maybe that would be the best option if you find one thats big enough for your application.

19. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

May be askin lots of questions soon! Im starting plans for something similar!

20. lenne0815

Go for eet ;) i didnt post any updates here because right now im quite satisfied with how the machine runs on a daily basis, only thin im gonna change in the near future is the main power supply, i do need the orange box im using now back in my workshop, so i saved a fully outfitted fusebox from the bin...

Oh wow, just noticed that were closing in on 100k hits, Cheers guys, cheers Bit-Tech ( Still my favourite modding forum ! )