1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Good game to start PC gaming on?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by I Greenman v2 I, 12 May 2012.

1. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

Poor guy wouldn't know what hit him if CS was his first PC FPS! It's a fantastic game (I love it to death) but I think it's learning curve is pretty steep for someone new to the platform; that said, if one is willing to take the plunge, the training crosses over quite well to most other FPS games.

I'd say BF3 single player would be a good starting point. Crysis: Warhead could be fun also.

2. SonnyJim

SonnyJim Minimodder

^^^This. The 'assault course' really helps sharpen your reflexes and the game is all-round fun to play. As for mice, the G300 seems pretty good value for money. If you're looking to spend a little more money, the CM Storm Spawn is really good. My friend has one and loves it.

3. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

My first games on pc were rainbow six vegas and tomb raider legend (don't judge me).

And i'm still the biggest noob online, but what ever.

4. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Surprisingly, this is one of the few occasions where I would suggest CoD. Pretty easy to get a grip of, and the earlier ones have a good storyline. Other than that, I agree with the choices of TF2 and Crysis, that is, if your consolified brain can handle the epicness :D. Maximum awesome (and Gunsmith too)

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

As someone above said. BF3 and just play the single player campaigns to start with.

6. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Another vote for HL2 series. single player sharp controls and good pacing difficulty wise. Mulltiplayers probably a bad idea until you are accustomed to the new control system. Another idea might be to see if you can get a copy of UT99 cheap. Was what i started on.

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

8. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Play unreal tournament 1999 or 3 and play against bots or follow the story through, its incredibly fast paced and will help you pick up mouse and keyboard in no time

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

9. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

If your worried about losing a lot then go practice but I just have fun and don't care where I finish..

If I get an even k/d on BF3 I consider that a good round :D

10. nuc13ar

nuc13ar What's a Dremel?

quake 3 live is still free, i think. i always liked how grimy it feels, although i haven't played in a year (portal 2 coop) and they kicked my account.

11. Metaporic

Metaporic Minimodder

Rainbow six Vegas and Vegas 2 are good options. The cover system and maps allow for more careful play styles, while still allowing a rambo style gameplay if that's what you prefer.

You can literally hide behind a crate and hold the fort if you feel overwhelmed. Only problem is the community size, you might struggle to find games at times.

Counterstrike is one id strongly recommend against. Its a old (er) game, yet one with a fiercely loyal community. Put the two together, and you can barely peer round a corner without being snipped from some crazy angle. However some of the mods are great fun, like the Zombie run/survival mods. Good way to learn the basics, particular of movement and no one takes anything very seriously, so no need to feel pressured to perform.

The Deus Ex Series, particularly the newest one, good long single player story that lets you go at your own pace, yet has plenty of shooting/stealth elements.

The mass effect series also offer some good shooting practice while letting you play at your own pace. A lot of RPG elements mixed in there as well, but that just serves to make the games more enjoyable, and ofc you need to enjoy the games as well!

12. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I'd take a long term view to it, I'm currently struggling with getting to grips with a low sensitivity mouse after years office working twitching. It was last year I got into PC FPS with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I was surprised with how well I took too it, obviously my 'office old man confusion with speed and control of my mouse movements' translated well. When I went to BF3 I lowered my sensitivity to around 2.5" for a full turn, then I learned that good BF3 use over 4 inches of travel for a 360 deg' turn, so now I'm playing minesweeper to try and get back what I have lost.

13. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

You know what, stop trying to hold his hand. This is the problem with gaming nowadays everything has to be dumbed down to a level that poses no challenge to the player. Too many games now give the player a false sense of achievement, "ooh i've unlocked a new weapon yippee!". Well great, but did you acheive it by being good or just grinding long enough to accumulate the necessery xp?

It's all very well wanting to be eased into PC FPS, but playing CoD singleplayer or againts bots isn't going to improve you ability one bit. AI apponents are not going to help you beyond your current standard. Keyboard + Mouse isn't difficult to use, if you can click a desktop icon you can play a singleplayer FPS, easy.

There will always be people who are better than you at certain games no matter how much you practice, it's a fact I live with and one everyone else needs to wake up to and deal with.

Sorry about the rant, not a direct critisism of the OP, I'm thrilled he's joined team PC. It's aimed more at the state of mainstream gaming at the moment and it's "need to master game instantly" gamers.

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Has anyone mentioned BF3 coop, would help you get used to the weapons and controlling with keyboard and mouse.

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Good shout.

Reminds me, I really should do the rest of them and unlock the other weapons. :duh::D

16. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

@Smiffy: your advice is fair enough for someone who isn't new to the PC control interface in general, but you'd be surprised how long it takes people who haven't gamed with M/KB before to get used to the controls, especially in a competitive atmosphere like many online FPS these days. Jumping straight into a game like CS is going to be far from fun if the people playing it have got about a decade more experience than you, and if you're not having fun what's the point 'eh?

17. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

Instead of jumping into the easier stuff like playing bots etc, why not jump into the deep end and play something like cs or cod. I know that being hammered all the time for a week or two isnt amazing but itll help you understand the game at a faster level than playing with ai bots. My first pc fps was hl1 then cs 1.6, still play wars etc to this day, been playing since 2005 xD and im still utter pish at at :).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Jump in to offline games. Only way to go. Trying to steer in an online game with people taking the piss is not a good way to learn. CSS can be played with bots.

19. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Online wise if you aimed for more casual end such as TF2 or COD4 then it should be easy enough to pick up as there are plenty of new people in those games as well as just plain bad people. TF2 has advantage of being free as well

Can't recommend CS (Counter Strike) as some people are you'll be spending a lot of time in deathcam not doing much.

20. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Portal to start with - Basic FPS controls, nothing requiring massive situational awareness and nothing requiring ubergodlike reaction times.
    Followed with some Half-Life - brilliant story and an introduction to gunning people down.
    Mix in a bit of Left 4 Dead - just because it's fun and is a tad faster paced to get used to some reacting.
    Now on to TF2 - for an easier introduction to multiplayer.
    Step in to CoD or Battlefield single player - get used to how more 'realistic' games play and feel.
    Jump in to Crysis - Experience a true masterpiece and hone those skills you now have.
    Roll on in to BF3 multiplayer and get destroyed by anyone and anything regardless of how good you've become but thoroughly enjoy none the less because you can C4 people in the face-ish (ok you can't stick it ON them but jihad jeeps are pure hilarity in a bomb).

....it's how I'd do it anyway. :) Go for whatever you enjoy mate.

P.S. If you ever can get 4+ (8 ideally) friends together for Left 4 Dead 2 'versus' games whlie using voice comms (Teamspeak, Ventrilo, Mumble, Skype, whatever) it's the single funniest experience you can have with a gaming PC.