1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU HOWTO clean dust from PSU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bitwacker, 15 May 2012.

1. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Pfffft and I thought it would be a fiver from poundland ;)

Seriously though, compressed air is your friend for cleaning power supplies. No reason to take a PSU apart unless you know exactly what you are doing

2. Bitwacker

Bitwacker C# forever

3. adamix

adamix What's a Dremel?

It will definitely help get rid of most of the dust from within the psu. Obviously, as access to a closed psu unit is restricted, some dust will remain - this will also be the case if you're to use compressed air. The latter's real advantage is speed, really, which comes at a price. Giotto's rocket can be found for a bit less than the prices quoted above, and will probably last a lifetime (why not alongside a can of compressed air?). I agree with previous posts and would also advise against opening the psu - removing the last 5 micrograms of dust won't make that big a change.

4. Williz

Williz Minimodder

That looks pretty useful, think I'll grab one of those as compressed air isn't that cheap!

5. jaydeee

jaydeee What's a Dremel?

I use vacuum cleaner for this task. :)

6. mecha.

mecha. Newbie

7. Bitwacker

Bitwacker C# forever

In the end a trusty vacuum cleaner did the trick. Which bring me onto the next question: what is the best way to stop dust building up again?

8. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Best thing to do is to fit filters to your case's intakes. Remember to clean out the filters once in a while! Other than that, PCs seem to get less dusty if you keep them off the floor (on the desk is good!) and keep the area around them clean, too.

Tags: