1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nokia launches 100Mb/s 4G modem

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I like the idea, but I can see the cost of the devices and cost of the service from mobile companies being quite prohibitive for a few years yet.

3. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I cant see this taking off except for business' that need high speed internet on the move and as such get everything cheap due to mass ordering on contracts.

would be nice to get better than 1.4mbits that comes out of my modem.

Andy

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Can' be much worse than the 3G pay as you go dongles ! especialy on the 3 network - High Prices & Crap Service, my built in 56k modem worked faster normaly !

On a more positive note if the sustained rate will be 12 Mb/s, the service providers will surely have to increase the download limit to something better than we get now - to reflect the speed increase.

5. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

So 2gig per month then?

As great as this sounds in practice it will be crippled by the cellular providers carging too much and allowing you too little in usage allowances. The carriers are far too slow to upgrade their networks and to change with the times and demands of their customers.

I would love a mobile contract that gives me mobile data as it's main focus and a few calls/ texts thrown in as I mainly use my Hero for data and not calls.

6. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Nevermind the download speed of these what about the latency. If they can make it have a sub-20ms ping THEN I'll be impressed. The only great thing about having decent wireless data connection is being able to take out my netbook on the train and playing Crysis on OnLive/Gaikai.

7. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Excellent, 12mb/s every 20 secs then (courtesy of T-mobiles current performance...). Oh, and I hope it uses less power than the current 3G systems. A 70%+ drop in battery life between 2G and 3G is bad enough thanks.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wait 4g is that much faster then 3g??? talk about a huge jump, maybe 4g will finally make cell phone internet worth it.

9. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

The US are already getting LTE trials, I heard... I just wish they'd release it already.

10. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

isnt it also known was wiimax, or that somethign different?

god i hope the Palm Pre comes with this to the UK

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

What network are you lot on that are complaining about 3G speeds? I usually get ~3Mbit out of Vodafone :eyebrow:

Hopefully its not too far away, as 12Mbit sustained would be lovely and all, but its not all that big of a jump.

12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Pics or it didn't happen. This is gonna be seriously expensive no matter what, £60 a month is the figure I have in mind, no way will I ever invest in mobile broadband EVEN if that means living without the internet for a month if I move home (why the crap should it take a month anyway?)

13. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

wimax and 4g dif tech, 4g is more range and network frendly, wimax less range but faster, what mobile phone makers need to do is sort out the cut off for switching towers,around 20% signel cut off for be 3g/4g as my phone hangs onto 3g when there is no longer an signel but there is 2g still there (norm happens around 1 or2 bars)as my second phone rings so that could of been an missed call if i did not have it on dirvert on no ring

14. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

I have a 3g Sony Erricson phone, and have tethered it to my laptop, I get around 3.5mb/sec, enough to stream youtube, iplayer and play games, where I go, my internet follows, in the last 4 months, I have used 890gb download and 250gb upload, Three's pay -as-you-go £15 deal is great value, 250 minutes, 3000 texts and unlimited data, and It really does mean unlimited, I have no idea why the carriers charge so much for data dongles, Three currently charge £5 per gb of data for their dongles, yet offer unlimited data for the phones, doesnt make sense, I did have to "root" my andriod smartphone to achieve tethering, and download an app from the marketplace, but it was no big deal, I dont pay line rental to get broadband access, and can take it anywhere, and top up when I choose, really flexible, take not, BT, Virgin etc, mobile carriers may just start biting into your business....

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The Necromuncher strikes!

Tags: Add Tags