1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware PC Hardware Buyer's Guide May 2012

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 18 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

About time :). Been waiting a long while for this. Was one of the reasons I came to the site in the first place. I still think you should do it quarterly and not monthly though.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

In the Gaming Workhorse, do you mean Asus Xonar DX for the soundcard? I thought the DS was PCI and that board doesn't have any PCI slots!...

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Well spotted GeorgeK. I've updated the system to now include the DX.

5. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Good - wasn't my morning tiredness playing tricks then! I'd recommend that sound card too - paired with SP2500s the sound is fantastic!

And - as cookie and 3lusive - awesome to see this feature back :D

7. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Good to see it back. Now tell me to ****** off if you like, but how about an additional category for htpc since there's a lot of it about, frequent questions on recommendations and most people would be looking for sff with a different emphasis?

8. Combatus

It is something we've been considering but we'll need to get some HTPC-specific gear through our lab first in order to make some recommendations. I'd be interested to hear what's people's budget for such a system is too - the bare minimum to handle 1080p content, Netflix and BBC iPlayer HD, or something a little fancier?

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

+1 I'm going to be building one soon myself.

10. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

+1

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Nice to see it back!

Typo on the Gaming workhorse page, 2nd paragraph "out list" should read "our list".

12. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

So go get it! :D How about 2 versions - an entry level and premium? Since components/functionality would be listed people can then simply pick and choose to meet their requirements.

13. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Not the DGX? I assume because you haven't had one in for testing?

I was also somewhat surprised by the 3770K in the premium player, I was expecting an X79 system.

Last edited: 18 May 2012
  14. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Yay!
    Amazed by the impact that some price changes have had.

The amount of processing power you can get for not a huge amount is great.
    £300 basically gets you top level processing power, and with SSd's being so cheap the total system prices are really coming into budget.
    Motherboards are still difficult to recommend because the prices are higher than they used to be, and the features you need are so individual, but overall a great selection.

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys about time it came back.

16. Combatus

It was a tricky decision but in the end we felt that an X79 system would only be significantly faster in a very select few tasks. In fact even the Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition is actually slower in several key tests than the 3770K - not really what you want to hear when you're spending £600 more on a CPU and nearly £100 more on a motherboard. We'll add more info on this decision next time but we felt it was more important to consider the PC for general usage rather than just for rendering and video editing where it's extra cores come into play.

17. Combatus

oops duplicate post.

18. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Ooo, while I think about it, the gaming workhorse and premium player both have the same motherboard listed (the maximus gene V) but at different prices.

Is it the same motherboard and the prices are wrong, or is there a typo and its a different model mobo?

19. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Recommending a 1200w PSU to power to power a 3770K, 680 and a few HDs? Are you sure?!

I would have thought a decent 850w would have been more than enough to even use for SLI.

Anway, glad to see it back - I know it is such a handy resource that many people find useful... :thumb:

20. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I'm about due for that Gaming Workhorse. I really don't need it since most of the games I play are still running great at 1080p on my 4 year old hardware, but it's been a while since there's been such a really great cpu + gpu combo.

Anyway, I'm glad that this article is back.

Tags: Add Tags