1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chimps Challenge 2012 - IN PROGRESS, GET INVOLVED :-)

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 23 Jan 2012.

1. zodac

zodac What's a Dremel?

Looks like you guys have been inching your way up to OCAU today. :)

If it makes you feel any better, the distance from you to them is smaller than for us to OCF at the top. Plus you have more motivation, since it's more fun beating Aussies. ;)

2. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

I sense a disturbance in the force. Amongst others, I think we may now have a Doc in the monkey house.

It’s beginning to feel like old times :)

Your annual self stomping is becoming a bit of a CC tradition. :D

Not sure what coola has been battling against behind the scenes but we are sorely missing Lizard's involvement in the build up and the competition itself.

We're getting clobbered at the folding workhorse level, the guys knocking out standard cpu and gpu work units day after day. It is having a big impact as shown by the low conversion % on EOC updates without a bigadv landing. As low as only 20% of standard work is going to the Chimps. With the scoring system the way it is, a few standard client switches may have a significant impact on the outcome.

Some thoughts on what we could potentially do:

Change avatars to chimp related ones for a bit of subliminal advertising
    PM/email anyone we know to tell them about the CC and appeal to their team spirit in a polite manner
    A separate username/ppd roll call thread to show how many teammates are already involved and which may encourage additions
    A recruitment thread along the lines of one I did for our first CC but maybe better this time :blush:

Does someone want to run with any of these? Any better ideas? I’m just a guest folder this year so I’ll try and keep out of things from now on, honest.

Thanks for the words of encouragement zodac.

3. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Hi Bob - Yep, I'm in! (I did mention to 'Coolamasta' Rob that I'd miss the beginning of the party).
    Shame the CC is these two weeks - one week later and I'd have had a quad socket rig to add to our fight :cooldude:

4. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

I will be adding a gtx 295 soon

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Have we won yet?

6. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Sorry guys I'm on holiday from tomorrow so I'm done with the CC for this year.

I've just uploaded a 6903 so that should give a little boost and will finish a 6098 and 6099 later today.

On reflection, its really sad that so many of our big hitters on both lists declined to join our CC effort this year.

Well done to all those who have made a contribution though :thumb:

7. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

EVGA are making a half-hearted attempt this year. They did badly last year because of the handicap system, and complained a lot. The handicap system is holding us back this year, but we mustn't grumble :)

8. javaman

Thats the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately. Ah well, some fine tuning next year maybe. Wonder if James...........

9. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Had completely forgotten this was starting now!

I'll fire up all the hamsters I can find tonight...

i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
    GTS450
    GTS250
    Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz

Added to the mix.

Last edited: 22 May 2012
  10. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Too much of a Fat F***, can't do the marathon, but just about manage the sprinting (jogging/walk) finish :p

I had a power cut sunday, so lost however many hours then, and one morning a GPU WU didn't want to start. :(

Being positive now, it's nice to see my air cooling has held up admirably in a Define R3 case. It didn't turn into a hurricane in a box, and I got to find out that I don't need to turn the fans all the way up. But the chassis has taken some heat soak.

11. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Hi Guys, big thanks for everyone putting what they can into the CC this year, sorry I've not been about that much the last few days, I am off on a big road trip in Evo my track car to the Nurburgring and SPA Francorchamps this Friday so have been working the day and then spending the evenings and weekends getting the car fully prepared ready to go :)

I won't be around to see the end of the challenge as I will be driving across France, Belgium and Germany on the 25th, but I really hope we manage to sneak up and get past "Monkey_Bollocks" in time, only 15 points away at the moment, its a great shame we have been sat in last please but the reason behind that is because the new point system was based on last years performance and last year we had more people contributing and also Lizard was "not doing" something special behind the scenes to help us out, if we had that again we would be much further up the list. ;)

Never mind though we have all come together as a team and done our best which is what matters plus the science has received some great benefits but hopefully we will level the playing field for next years challenge where we need to pull some magic out the hat and get seriously on the ball before hand and see what sort of exposure we can get in CustomPC leading up to it etc.

Anyway fingers crossed we manage to move up into 7th place, I will try and check what happened from WiFi at the hotel at the Nurburgring, I will be leaving everyone some +Rep for contributing but wont be able to do that until im back.

Thanks again for every single person contributing, will be in touch soon :)

Cheers,
    Rob. :thumb:

12. javaman

A big thanks to you for organising everything! Have fun this weekend.

13. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

13.42 points to put us into 7th, time to fire up the parents/grandparents/kids computers and grind a few more!

14. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Why cant they do the chimp challenge at winter time?

Server in the study is hitting 85°C to 88°C :-(

:brrr:

15. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Winter here, computer is acting as an extra heater :clap:

16. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

With another CC coming to a close, thanks to all who contributed and to Rob for captaining. Despite having the dreaded Monkey Paw firmly placed into our hands, it’s been great to fold with the CPC team again. A fabulous team effort from all who participated.

Congrats to OCF for their amazing team effort and impressive victory.

And it was splendid to chimp alongside you Jon. I’m very much looking forward to hearing more about the 4P rig when it comes online.

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

and... it's over... we're comfortably last with a mere half the [folding, not competition] points we hauled in last year...

but someone has to come last, and despite being last from start to finish and lacking some of the big hitters from last year we still gave it a decent go... didn't put in some half-arsed performance like some teams seemed to [evga]...

so congrats to all who contributed and don't forget to switch your clients back...

18. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Just gone to switch my rig back over, and found that it crashed on Thursday night. DOH!!! Looks like one of the GTX 295's is dead too.

RIP GTX 295.

Wonder if there is a purple monkey paw for valour? :)

It's been an honour to fold in such distinguished company.

19. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Hey guys, really sorry for my late reply, after I got back from my Euro Trip its been chaos with work and things so not had chance to get on here to say thanks :(

I am really proud that we stayed at it until the end, we all deserve a pat of the back for our efforts despite coming in last, like I said above this was mainly due to us having a lot more PPD output last year so the average stats formula for this year just didn't work in our favour but because of this it should put us in good standing for next years challenge ;)

I will go through all your usernames in this thread for who has taken part and over the next few days I will leave you all some Rep (can only leave certain about of feedback within 24hrs) if I miss you out please let me know :)

Again MASSIVE THANKS to all that joined in and hopefully next year it will all go smoother :thumb:

[​IMG]

Oh and if anyone is interested here is a couple of quick pics from my trip to the Nurburgring and SPA, will be putting up a full thread with pics when I get time :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. javaman

Ill fold to that!

Pictures of your trip > winning chimps challange!