1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Case fans still going after shutdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GregI, 12 Apr 2011.

1. GregI

GregI What's a Dremel?

Just built a new rig about 4 days ago. These are the main specs -

i5 2500k
    Gigabyte P67A UD4 - F3 BIOS
    Seasonic X-560
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB
    Gigabyte 6850
    Coolermaster HAF X
    WD 1TB Black
    Win 7 Pro 64 bit

This problem has happened from the first shut down of the machine. Basically, the case fans keep spinning after shutdown. I have done all the basic tests (making sure that Windows is not going to sleep mode etc). The system itself when in use is fantastic. Got it prime stable for 10 hours at 4.3 Ghz.

The problem happens powering from molex or fan headers. Fan headers present some interesting results. Here is a log of some work I did earlier with the fan headers as to why I am baffled. I have a blackmagic intensity pro capture card which makes it even more interesting.

1. Remove capture card, cpu fan stops on shutdown. Interesting.
    2. Keep card in, fan stays on after shutdown....
    3. Card removed and exhaust fan attached to bottom fan header, the exhaust fan stops and so does cpu fan. The rest of the fans connected to headers stay on.
    4. Connect the 200mm side fan to bottom header, it spins up but eventually stops around the time Windows fully boots up. It's VERY slow. The 120mm exhaust seems to be ok with this header. Can't see any difference from header or molex powering.
    5. Connect the 200mm side fan to the top fan header, it keeps spinning. If I connect this fan to molex it spins even faster.
    6. Put capture card back in and run the 200mm side fan in the bottom header.... it continually spins. No card = stops spinning. Card in = spins.

No fan on molex power powers down with any configuration.

I am about to RMA the PSU. It can't be anything else. I just don't understand it. Why can it be perfectly happy with Prime95 for 10hours but not be able to power down 4 fans.....

I also saw this solution somewhere when googling,

"Firstly, "Click “Start”, on “Computer” click right mouse button and select “Properties”, click “Device Manager”, select “IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers” group, only contains one device called “VIA 1394 OHCI Compilant Host COntroller” on that click right mouse button and select “Properties”, select “Power Management” tab, and finally check the “Allow the computer to tur off this device to save power” box!
    That’s all folks. After that the computer power down normally every time."

I do not even have that. :(

The next solution I thought that could solve my problem is here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f210/fans-stay-on-after-shutdown-446503.html#post2519160

I also have that dual audio wire but only one audio header on motherboard. I am using the HD AUDIO wire. I have to wonder though, how can connecting an audio header cause case fans to keep running after shut down?

Wow to anyone that can fix this/understand the above.

2. cwilliams255

cwilliams255 What's a Dremel?

I have the same issue, only occured since I swapped to the seasonic PSU today

Intel Q6600
    Asus P5K-E
    Seasonic X-560
    XFX 6850
    Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Not really sure whats causing it at the moment, have emailed seasonic for help.

3. idontwannaknow

idontwannaknow What's a Dremel?

Same issue here: After shutdown/sleep cpu fan is on, other fan pins are off; fans directly on PSU (molex) also spinning

Lian Li Q11
    Seasonic SS-400FL fanless
    Intel DH77DF
    front panel HD audio

Did anyone resolve the issue ?

ps: tried to disable audio & IEEE 1394 in BIOS - doesn't help

Last edited: 23 May 2012
  4. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Wow, nice thread res ;)

Aside from that, have you noticed if after a minute or so, they shut off of their own accord? I know some PSUs continue spinning fans to cool the system down after shutdown for a while.

5. idontwannaknow

idontwannaknow What's a Dremel?

Looks like it's a PSU issue, low current is still running after shutdown

Last edited: 23 May 2012