1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon 7970

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by queluomo, 16 May 2012.

1. queluomo

queluomo What's a Dremel?

Does anybody know what The 7970 is able to do, if anything at all?
    Also, why is it so hard for Stanford to produce a folding client which can be used by mere mortals, with simple tick-boxes to select/deselect folding options, which would make it accessible to many more people who can't be bothered with flags and other nonsense, but who would still love to contribute to the project with their hardware giving its 100%

2. Slowlemon

Slowlemon What's a Dremel?

99% of people who can`t be bothered with nonsense should be able to install the V7 client with default settings and be up and folding with no problems. If you want to fine tune your folding then you need to learn how to work the software. New graphics cards are not well supported by F.A.H. because of two separate issues.
    1 FAH does not use automatic updates. Apparently this will change in the future but for now you have to manually update the GPU whitelist from Stanfords website.
    2 Stanford needs to write new core software to take advantage of new gpu architecture. This takes time! At the moment a GTX680 gives about the same performance as a GTX560ti, when the new core is available the GTX680 may give much better performance.
    The Radeon 7970 is in the same boat as the GTX680 but I am sure that the situation will improve.

3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

You can also use a program called GPUtracker for folding. Very simple, like V7 in many ways but I prefer it.

4. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

The Radeon cards are not well served by the folding client and it uses 100% of a core. I might be out of date on this.

Tags: