1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the h*ll is going on with Bit-Tech???

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by greypilgers, 16 Mar 2012.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Honestly, I've had adblock enabled on here ever since you started advertising things like Marks And Spencers and everything else unrelated. It's obviously not getting any better, and more annoying for that matter, and so the forums won't be in my whitelist for a while to come it seems.

2. Canon

Canon Reformed

Personally, I really like all of the adverts, there's so many and such variety amongst them, I really like all the flashing bright colours. It's good for some light reading to take my attention away from all this content that could quite possibly be both informative and entertaining, too much of that couldn't be good for me.

I also like to take some time out from my day to fill in brief, or not so brief surveys to be in with a chance of winning a piece of technology that I probably don't have an interest in currently but might do one day! And if they're willing to throw in some malware for free we should be thankful for their generosity.

Keep up the good work!

mars-bar-man likes this.
  3. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Seriously If I see that f#####g banner add at the botom of my screen again I'll go mad. I'm glad I use add block at home, but at work It's just annoying to have an add cover over the site content and have it reappear on different pages even after you've closed it everytime it has appeared previously.

4. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Just saw my first blasted banner add at the bottom of my screen. What is this rubbage?!? I am really ticked off right now! Each time you try something like this, it gives me pause to seriously consider leaving bit-tech. I use to try to help out the site by not blocking adds, and even clicking on those that seemed remotely interesting. Now days its random unrelated crap and annoying/intrusive advertisements all over the place. If you really want to see the site tank, annoy those who contribute the most valuable content to your site.

When the modders leave, so do the mods, and with them go the page views. As much as I have enjoyed the articles in the past, it really is the mods that keep me coming back. I know more than a few of the great ones have left because of the crap happening to the site. I may not have much clout, but I believe I speak for more than just one or two members when I say you are risking your main source of revenue when you do this. No mods means no project logs, and no search results, and no add revenue.

Last edited: 25 May 2012
  5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

These banner ads at the bottom are annoying the hell out of me, and this morning I get this...

[​IMG]

I've never adblocked Bit tech because I want to support it, but you've gone to far. You're adblocked to death now. So you've lost ad revenue from me for a start. Well done you greedy ass bags!

I just can't be doing with massive full page ads popping at random when I'm trying to read and write.

Skimlinks in article... fine... banner ads.. fine... but you've crossed a line now.

The fact is though, you probably get more traffic from random web searches than you do from the regs, so looks like your corporate whoring attitude will just ignore us.

8 years.... oh well... it's been nice, but seriously, I'm not putting with this ****. Please make it go away.

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

This is getting to be a f***ing joke, I've never used add blockers in the past but now after these f***ing banner adds I'm going use one on every computer I have.
    You would think Dennis would know by now how the bt community feels about this crap.

Dennis obviously dont give a **** :miffed:

Apophis54 likes this.
  7. Pookeyhead

Actually... no.. I'm going nowhere. Sod you bit tech.

[​IMG]

I was quite prepared to accept all the other ads. You know what? I used to actually click on them too to... every little helps right?

But sod you....

Adblocked. I get nothing now. Not a single skimlink, banner ad... nothing. I'm just gonna carry on enjoying the forums and give nothing back and it's your fault for being greedy and not listening to your readers.

[​IMG]

Oh yeeeeaahhhhh!!! Ad free.

Of course they don't. Most traffic for this site will come from web searches. Why would they give a crap about you? Typical short sighted corporate whoring. I won't even explain why this strategy is short sighted, If they're too stupid to work it out then they deserve everything that's coming.

They don't give a crap about you, me or the fact that i've ad blocked actually. It just made me feel better to tell them they're ass bags.

8. Pookeyhead

Some ads are still managing to gather data despite the ads being blocked.

Go here....

[​IMG]

Select UK....

[​IMG]

You'll end up here....

[​IMG]

turn everything off...

[​IMG]

Please pass this info on.

This alone will not block ads, they just won't be using your browsing habits. Use adblock, and do this. You can also disable tracking in your browser.

tristanperry, Teelzebub and Carrie like this.
  9. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Nice tip Pook! Thanks!

I think that bit is just going to get worse, I know that I have started to use other forums more and more.

10. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I have no such issue with my S2 :D /smug mode

On topic, I've also AdBlocked bit tech, as much as I want to support the site, the ads are getting too much.

Apophis54 likes this.
  11. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Whaeyyyyy Pookey!!!! Also Bittech Adblocked now, 0 revenue from someone else.

Pass the message on. Step to far BT, a step too far... talk about back fired.

Apophis54 likes this.
  12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm not quite at the stage of blocking ads at work yet, because for some reason I don't get very many on my workstation. But I habitually block ads on my smartphone because they just slow everything down.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Before everyone starts stringing Bit-tech up by the gonads, bear in mind that Dennis Publishing owns the site and it's likely to be Dennis making the decisions on ads. If you wanna lynch anyone, lynch Dennis Publishing.

And I'd love to know where RTT found this photo of Felix Dennis...

Oh yeah, and damn good spot Pookeyhead!

14. Shirty

As BLC and one or two others allude to above it's worth bearing in mind that whilst Simon, Joe, Anthony, Harry and the newer writers such as Craig and Max are responsible for writing and publishing the content on the main site, they have nothing to do with advertising. In fact most of them have posted their concerns about this in other, similar threads in the past.

Bearing in mind that Dennis still seem to think that James Gorbold is the editor I don't know how relevant this page is, but you are best off firing an angry email to Dan the advertising man. Whether he is still the person responsible or not is questionable, and whether you'll get a response without copious amounts of cash involved is even more questionable.

We need Simon to come and mediate again.

:sigh:

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'm a freelancer, so I don't work on the site full-time anymore, but I will drop in to say that Dan Hellens is no longer the ad-man for Bit-tech as a far as I know.

Comments would probably be best directed to either the editor, Simon, or the publisher, Paul Rayner.

16. Shirty

Thanks for clarifying Joe, it's all a bit of a mess isn't it. If I was looking to advertise on Bit and landed on that page, the horrendously out of date info on there would not fill me with confidence...

A real shame, and it would only take someone at Dennis maybe an hour to update it all.

Apophis54 likes this.
  17. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I think you would find they are to busy putting adverts on the forum.

Apophis54 likes this.
  18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've had Bit adblocked for years now.

I love this site, and the ads were taking away from that so they went.

Please for the love of god bring back the pre-Dennis forums..

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Oh well, I'll be adblocking the site when I get home tonight. Enough's enough.

Apophis54 likes this.
  20. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Had Adblock on ever since the adverts became, well, not about PC related stuff. But this... My god... You've gone too far!

Also, excellent tip Pook! :thumb: