1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Experiences with the 'paranormal'?

Discussion in 'General' started by Zabuza, 6 Mar 2011.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

You never went to university, did you?

Sloth and Jumeira_Johnny like this.
  2. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

Or secondary school...

3. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

It's a shame I can only rep you once for this.

4. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

i wouldnt say experience as such, well maybe, on a recent visit to the blair street vaults in edinburgh with my wife we heard what sounded like small stones being 'rolled' on the floor in the safe room, i kept taking pics but couldnt see anything at all, on a lighter note, baring in mind the vaults are supposed to have the most amount of paranormal activity in the uk (and very dangerous some would believe) i decided to take some pics of the most haunted room there,its haunted by a man they call the watcher ( supposedly a very angry ghost or entity or whatever) turned round to discover everyone had already f***d off and left me standing there on my own, boy did i **** my-shelf, needless to say it didnt take me very long to catch the rest of the group up lol

Teelzebub likes this.
  5. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

When I was four. I KNOW I woke up and saw a UFO outside my window. What's weird is that I woke up by my windowsill with my PJ's inside out. Congrats- you have my 1000th post- Give me rep!

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Sometimes I wishfully think that I'm able to convey my thoughts to my pet cats, and them to me. There's so many times where I know exactly what they're about to do, or how they'll react. Sometimes it even seems like I can tell them what to do telepathically.

Never anything conclusive, obviously. Cats are pretty routine animals, spend 5+ years with one and you're bound to have their personality well understood. Just a little creepy when you consciously think "he's going to tilt his hear, turn his head to face me, stare for 2 seconds, make a slight meow, walk up to rub against my leg but stop short, look up and make another small meow, then rub against my leg and hop into my lap" and have all of that happen exactly as described.

7. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

If I were to try and explain this, I would probably put it down to subconscious influences and atmosphere. I can't find the right words to describe it, but I generally have dreams that follow similar forms and patterns based on the room I am in / how I felt at the end of that day.

It might sound stupid, but the noises of the world and how your days went might have influenced a similar pattern dream. Any idea if you two had a similar day? :D

Here's an odd one from today. I was chatting to the girl on skype (just text) and she went to go shower. A little later, she starts typing to me again, and then says I called her 20 minutes ago, and was talking nonsense. It was definitely my accent, and my voice, only somewhat deeper, as though I had been performing. Death growls tend to make my voice drop a tone / a tone and a half for a few hours. Apparently I responded really broken up and didn't reply anything relevant to the conversation. Then hung up.

I don't have this call in my log at all. Kinda freaky. Either someone is pulling jokes, or Skype has been trying to steal my brain.

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You can see it using technology though.

It's the same way we can calculate exactly what elements make up various stars light years away.

That's not to say we can measure/detect everything yet though.

Carrie likes this.
  9. boiled_elephant

No, but anyone with a half-decent familiarity with the state of modern physics knows that any remaining dimensions, fabrics, substances or forces are hiding themselves extremely well. The most vital question remains why the supernatural, if real, hasn't been corroborated and detected by instruments and scientific testing. Make no mistake - if a human can see it, hear it or feel it, scientific instruments sure as **** can detect it too. So far they haven't, meaning either it's a complete load, or the supernatural actively hides from scientific investigation (which is on a par with God burying fossils, frankly).

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

So are you saying that we pretty much understand everything there is and that there will be no more revolutionary discoveries that will completely change our understanding of how the universe works? I wouldn't want to bet on that position.

11. boiled_elephant

To say that there are gaps in our scientific understanding of the world is not the same as saying that there is room for the supernatural (defined as ghosts, the afterlife, spirits, etc.) to be plausible. These things are not - cannot be - tucked away in the remaining blind spots of science, which concern exotic things like dark matter and quantum mechanics. If the supernatural consisted of these things, there is simply no coherent way it would present itself as the humanly perceptible phenomena people describe as ghosts and the like.

The phenomena described in supernatural accounts are very tangible, very material - they involve audible voices, visual apparitions and physical interactions, allegedly caused by actions on some other plane of existence or of beings consisting of a matter not known to science. These sorts of things, by their very nature, should be recordable and testable; if they were there, if they were a part of the world on the human level, manifesting in these physical ways, we would have recorded and sampled it millions of times by now.

The odds that people live after death, interacting with the physical world in a variety of humanly detectable ways, but that such interactions have never once been recorded clearly by any instrument? I wouldn't like to bet on those odds.

It's tired now, but I feel obliged to quote Dara O'Briain again:
    There are gaps in science, of course. They consist of things like quantum entanglement. If you try to shoehorn the supernatural into these gaps, you're going to end up saying that quantum entanglement and other such obscure phenomena occasionally cause people to see their dead aunties in the night, to hear footsteps on their stairs or to hear voices - and there's still a big causal gap in that explanation that gets harder to fill the more you cling to the supernatural part of it.

12. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

They may have done. Film and Media Studies is a popular course :eyebrow:

13. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

One day in the very distant future... that may, tragically be a reality. The day we are able to build Stargate's/Space-Faring Galactic Battleships/Dyson Sphere's and all sorts of sexy high-tech e-peen inducing futuristic awesomes.

I might be thinking of a specific tv show mind...

Don't even get me started...

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The more we learn, the more we realise how much we do not know.

That's not to say that everything is possible but then again the improbable isn't necessarily impossible.

15. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I'm not willing to concretely rule out much given how limited our understanding of the universe is. We have no firm idea what 95% of the mass of the universe consists of, nor do we have a workable theoretical framework for gravity. We can't correlate the two basic theories of physics (classical vs quantum). And that's just the stuff we KNOW we don't know. The unknown unknowns are literally infinite.

Based on that tenuous grasp on the nature of the universe I'm not willing to rule out a whole class of phenomena which have been widely reported by humans since the dawn of history.

Just because we don't have a way to measure or document a phenomenon doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It also doesn't mean that it it does, it means that we don't know.

16. Faunus

Faunus What's a Dremel?

What is interesting, is not knowing how much we do know.

Does your government know about certain "stuff", possibly paranormal, that they choose not to share with us, because we would all explode in delight / fear. I suggest that there is a lot of this.

17. casann

casann What's a Dremel?

Sorry to necro a thread but wanted somewhere to post this :)

Our house has been a little freaky since moving in - doors slamming on there own , strange noises , things turning and and off on there own . Anyway the strange things have been taken to a whole new level !

My Son has a Drawer thingy( not sure what they are called but there the things that you draw on witha magnetic pen and can erase with a slider ) and as i was tidying away the screen had all sort of writing on . Now i know i didn't do this as the last time i was playing with it with my son i was teaching him how to smell him name and numbers and he was having fun erasing them away as quickly as i wrote them . I also know it wasn't my son as he is only 2 and can't write yet .

The writing wasn't highly legible however we made out the words Boo ,something like is it you and one loves you ? There was other stuff unsure what it said .

The even stranger thing is it looks like my hand writing !!!

Really freaked me out and annoyed me too ! My fiance won't believe that i didn't write it !

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You wrote it. You just didn't erase it propery (magnetism tends to hang around). Doors open and close in draughts --especially now with the warm weather people have windows open. Power cuts/glitches and flaky electrics can cause devices with soft power on/off to turn on or off. Every building makes noises as it expands and contracts --especially now the weather is warm (there are seasonal variations --how long have you lived there?).

The only thing that came back from the dead is this thread. :p

19. casann

casann What's a Dremel?

3 Months ! And i haven't used it for weeks other then to do numbers or draw a shapes and ,yson and daughter and usd it endless amounts of time since . Plus i'd never write random things like it says:S And the doors have been doing it even before windows open and no drafts coming from anywhere . The doors proper slam shut . I'll give you the other two points though :)

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If you have only lived there three months, how do you know what is normal for that house? It took me a year to get a feel for how our house behaves through the seasons. Especially Victorian properties (which I suspect you live in) have a lot of draughts, because they were designed to ventilate well (you have no idea how much smoke and fumes an open fire and several gas or oil lamps in each room made). There is airflow through the chimneys (even with fireplace removed there is often a grille), airflow under the wooden ground floor boards, and often a central hallway to act as a through channel. The alley way on the side of the house would be another air channel for the underfloor flow via air bricks in the bottom of the house side wall.

Add hermetically sealed PVC double glazing and you concentrate the airflow through these areas. No point trying to stop it --you can't and you shouldn't. These houses are meant to breathe.

The writing on your magnetic toy is an amalgam of all the scribbles you ever made on it --so fragments of different words and sentences. I mean, it's your handwriting. That should give you a clue, no?