1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Ivy Bridge build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oblivion181, 27 May 2012.

1. oblivion181

oblivion181 What's a Dremel?

Hey there, I am looking into building a new system for the first time in 4-5 years. I am happy about most of the components, but I am not sure one few, and possible if anyone can recommend anywhere to cut a little bit cash that would be nice. I will be using this computer for gaming mostly, also 3D modeling, some Image editing, and programming. Also, I won't be overclocking or SLI'ing anything either.

ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX - Motherboard
    Intel Core i7-3770 S1155 3.4GHz 8MB - CPU
    Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 XMP * 2 - RAM
    Corsair Memory TX750 V2 750W ATX Enthusiast Series - PSU
    Zalman Z11 Plus High Performance Mid Tower Case - Case
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler - CPU Cooler
    Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive - storage HDD
    Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD - Solid State Drive - SDSSDX-240G-G25 - SSD
    EVGA GeForce GTX 670 915MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI - GPU
    Hazro HZ27WCnG LED IPS Pro 8Bit Monitor 2560x1440 - Monitor

The main thing that I don't know is if I need a PSU that powerful. Also, how much better is the i7 over the i5, I know it has hyper-threading and is slightly higher clocked.
    I don't need other than these, as I have all the other things like mouse, keyboard, DVD drive, etc
    Other than the GPU and the Monitor, I am not set on anything so any advice on anything else is appreciated.

Thank you very much

Oblivion181:)

2. Bede

Bede Minimodder

8GB RAM rather than 4.

i7 is good if you're serious about CAD and Photoshop. I would get the 3770K just because you're only paying a few extra quid but you get the potential for overclocking.

Case is your choice, I dislike it but if you've done your research and that's the one you want then that's all that matters.

SSD is a great idea, that's a good size too.

You could comfortably get away with a 500W-600W PSU, but there's no real harm in having a slightly OP one. It should be slightly quieter too as PSU fans tend not to spin up until they are at higher load.

oblivion181 likes this.
  3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

+1 on the k version processor. The tiny saving is not worth the lack of overclocking/selling it to someone who does one day want to clock it

4. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

Hi
    About your PSU do you mean this one?
    http://www.corsair.com/power-supply...d-750-watt-high-performance-power-supply.html
    If it is then I'm fairly sure your PSU will be enough so that you can support another graphics card.
    If you want to save money I'm sure you can cut it down to another PSU with about 600W.
    I'm not sure if that monitor supports HDMI. I've only read that it supports DVI-D.
    Also what games do you/are you going to play?

5. oblivion181

The Ram will be 8GB, Sorry if it was unclear there is a *2 after the RAM. I agree with going for the 3770K.
    I like the case and it seems to be build well for not much money. I hope I will be able to get that size of SSD though if I have to save more I might have to go back to a 120GB one, I hope not though.
    If the PSU will run quieter then I think I will go for something OP, as I am alsways looking to make my computer as quiet as possible.

The monitor does only support DVI, Its the cheapest I could find with that resolution which is what I am married to. If I can afford it I will go with the Dell to get the extra inputs.
    As for games, pretty much anything I can get my hands on :D,
    Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Mafia 2, Arma II, Arma III, Civ V, etc

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

If you aren't going to be using SLI then to answer your question, no you won't need a 750w PSU. 600W would be enough and leave you with a decent amount of headroom!

7. oblivion181

Thanks, very much. Can anyone recommend any PSU that would be better, and more specifically quieter at about 600W, without it being more that about £100

8. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

A very popular PSU is the Corsair HX 650W (modular). It's about £90-£95.

9. aNuclearPidgeon

Just wondering if a 670 GTX will give decent frames at that kind of resolution on max settings. If not you can always tun down some settings if you're willing to.

10. oblivion181

Well, I am not too bothered with having max settings, and I don't think I have much in the way of choice as I can't get anything more powerful for financial reason, and I really want the resolution on my monitor for modeling and other general computing tasks.

11. aNuclearPidgeon

Then other than the PSU you are pretty much set. If you want you can get those nice looking 600-700W modular power supples. Extremely reliable but slightly pricy.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/index.aspx?NT=1-0-38-852-0

12. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

I've heard good things about this PSU, it's meant to be very efficient at an excellent price for it's wattage and has a lot of connectors (theres also a 730W version for only £12 more).

13. oblivion181

Ok, an issue that has been raised by someone I know well, and has been building computers for years has warned me off using a bottom mounted PSU, something to do with the fact that heat rises and so the motherboard gets hotter from the PSU.

Could anyone shed some light on this is it really a problem and I should avoid my case choice or not.

Thanks very much for your help :)

14. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Yeah crap

15. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

bottom mounted psu hasn't made that much difference in my antec 900 case

16. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

Also you can flip the PSU upside down so it vents outside the case if there is a grill and enough room under the case.