1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Strangest headphone amp question ever...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KayinBlack, 28 May 2012.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

All right, bear with me.

I have a Jupiter Electronics KITT voicebox for my build. It's designed to be wired into a car's 12V radio system. I have TONS of 12V (I'm running an 1100W Delta PSU with an i5-3570K) but the outputs from onboard sound aren't enough to make the voice box trigger (it's a simple LED VU meter, just adjusted to higher sensitivity on the center bars.) I've hit upon the idea for a headphone amp, but can I integrate a DC headphone amp into the case and be done, or do I need something different?

If I do need something different, pictures and links are appreciated, I'm no EE, just a very interested hobbyist. I was planning on grabbing a pair of headphone amp kits (one for the voicebox, one tube for my own use) and I wondered if I'm barking up the wrong tree or I need something even more exotic.

http://www.jupitere.com/faq_.htm There is a line that says I can use a PC as my 12v source, but I still can't seem to get any activity. I'm gonna scrounge around for wire later this week (cooking out today, drop by if you're in the area) and try to wire it straight off, but the creator of it said onboard chipsets seldom had enough power to drive it, and running a pair of sound cards could get expensive (though if it's a simple fix, it might still happen.)

I've torn out a fair bit of my swiftly receding hair over this, and I still haven't gotten my speakers for the voice box wired in (Toshiba laptop speakers, figured I'd drive them off the same output as the voice box) but if the voice box won't light then I'm stuck.

2. does_not_compute

does_not_compute What's a Dremel?

Are you using the speaker/headphone out output from your onboard sound? If you are using the line out output the level will be considerably lower than a speaker/headphone output. In a stereo signal, the left channel will always be stronger and it is used as mono in certain circumstances.

Most headphone amps use a wall wart/power supply. You could probably find one that uses 12v. A 4 channel headphone amp will be about the size of a single 5.25" drive bay.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Amperage and Impedance may be the answer you're looking for. I have a feeling with my limited knowledge that your output driving the voicebox may be a bit too weak. It isn't the box if you will that would be the problem rather thhat the output isn't powerful enough to drive the speakers/voicebox.

So if you have an amplifier for your onboard, it should in theory work. :)

4. KayinBlack

Yeah, it's not my area of expertise either. I can liquid cool anything, I can make a potato gun that can destroy a car. Not so good with electric theory, though I'm rather good at soldering. Tell me what to assemble, I can do it.

5. Elton

From what I gather, you're trying to get an output that will register on the voicebox correct? Remember, that it isn't simply voltage but the impedance of the output. So in theory if your output is loud enough it should trigger. However what's the source?

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

FAQ implies high impedance source is required, so I imagine something like a Fiio would do the job, and it should be small enough for you to find a place for it internally. With a little bit of custom cabling for HD audio header to 3.5mm and power I'm sure you could come up with something to keep it tucked away and hidden inside.

KayinBlack likes this.
  7. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Maybe you should try connecting the speakers in parallel to the Voicebox like what is stated in the FAQ. The Voicebox FAQ states it has a high input impedance which would seem to indicate something a lot higher than most car/PC speakers.

KayinBlack likes this.
  8. KayinBlack

I can make a custom cable for that with no problem, and putting the speakers in parallel with the voicebox was intended, so KITT would talk at the same time the voice box triggered.

I'm now off to find out what a Fiio is, and can I make it myself. May as well use this time at the ER wisely.

9. KayinBlack

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-150-mW-...980?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256ff8101c

Would something like that work? I saw an awful lot of people that said the FiiO died a lot. Also, it's easier to integrate that into the front electronics stack.

Also, while I'm on ordering, would this be good for listening?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-amp-Tub...181?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc18dcbbd

I'm new to hi-fi, but I'm still able to tell you not only what horn a player is using, but even if they used an alternate fingering or they're circle breathing. I'm just on a budget and a dab hand with a soldering iron.

10. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Vacuum tube based amplifiers are brilliant for adding warm tones to music, but if you ever analytically test one, rather than simply listening and enjoying; they do distort sound a touch, sometimes more, sometimes less, depends on the tubes used, as well as the filtering in place, reportedly; most of the tubes that come out of Russia and china are absolute crap, although i'm not the best source for that information, i can only repeat rumours i've heard.

As far as the Headphone Amp: That's basically all the Fiio is, just, depending on the model, with a little Lithium Ion battery lobbed in to make it portable, plus the necessary parts for Ipod Interfacing. So yes, it would work.

KayinBlack likes this.
  11. KayinBlack

I'm not out to analytically test. I am (forcibly) retired, I want to enjoy listening. It sounds like you're saying that it would create an enjoyable, if not strictly studio perfect sound. Sounds perfect to me, and I can always do a tube swap as well as any other components deemed necessary. It's both impressive looking and decent sounding, so it seems like it's a win-win for me.

Any other ideas I should be looking at instead? Seven bucks for the voice box is not too bad, but the tube amp is a little more iffy. Sure, it's twenty bucks because it's DIY and supply your own transformer. Don't most decent sound cards work as headphone amps?

Please don't point and laugh, I'm learning.

12. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Depends on the soundcard, the Xonar DG, for example, does have an integrated Headphone Amp, while the Xonar DX, the slightly more powerful cousin; doesn't.

As far as an actual Amp; It'd be easier to just build something like this Simply because you can jam it into the case itself if you want, as it'll drink down 12V juice instead of having to cram a Transformer in there to run it off Mains. Also the design seems dirt cheap and you 'Mericans have places like Radioshack where you can actually buy individual components, rather than over here in the UK, so it should be very easy to assemble.

I'd personally use a Headphone Amplifier, even if the soundcard has one integrated, so I balance the load, that way I'm not pushing either to max, and it means that even if my source audio is strangely quiet; I'm not going to clip it just to get it to a listen-able volume.

13. KayinBlack

I see the merits of the one you posted, but chasing around this part and that part (and at Radio Shack's extortionate pricing) was why I was looking at the kit on Ebay-assemble and forget, though there is the transformer. I may do a tubeless one for the sheer fact that it will be easier to fit in my case.

14. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

tubes sound great. Very warm, and yes a little bit of distortion but certainly night and day to solid states. My old tube amp died so I am back on a solid state amp, but I am slowly chaning my set up and I have seen another tube amp I am going to give a bash when I can afford to buy it. (if you interested, its - http://www.streacom.com/products/tl1-tube-amplifier/ )

I think, if you are seeking pure enjoyment from your music - it would be worth going down the tube route, especially as you seem to actually have the ability to do it. Also, it would be something you havent experienced before.

15. Elton

Tubes are great if you enjoy it, but be careful. Finding the perfect tubes. Can be expensive.