1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Where to begin

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ~<(MoD-Urn)>~, 14 Jan 2002.

1. So far the only mods I have done are changing LED's in my Microsoft keyboard and e-machine hdd LED and power LED. I have an old Dell computer doing nothing. I'm looking for any ideas on where to start modding at. Take a look at the picture if you would and help me put together a basic idea of what to do. I'm not the most creative person in the world, just looking for ideas to help stimulate my brain....

[​IMG]

I know the pic is a little vague, just all I could find atm.

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I think spray it black and add a window .... perhaps a top blowhole aswell ...

3. Warbear_nG

Warbear_nG What's a Dremel?

see the spot on the front where the vents are - where it has the reverse "L" - paint the case and load some LEDs in there to glow out over the paint - would look SPIFFY

4. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Nice idea :D

5. vivid

vivid down in fraggle rock

pick axe through the side would look nice j/k

stealth the cd drive and add a rheobus, i like Warbear's idea about the LED's that would look cool :D

6. SonicSilicon

SonicSilicon What's a Dremel?

Another idea for the front "vent"; modify a slot fan to draw air into the system.

LEDs do sound very nice, too.

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

yeah that LED idea is great ... but improve it by wiring up the leds in macrosmans hdd activity module and have red and blue glowing out the L slot so when the hdd is used it flashes red and then is blue the rest of the time :) ... now that would rule

8. ChriX

ChriX ^

Exactly what I thought when I first saw that case :)

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

what about some nice case handles, or maybe a shoulder strap?

Stealth the CD rom drive, maybe stick an LCD on the side of the case, and mod that, change the LEDs on that...

a window would add some more scope, you could add some nice UV cable wrap then, or even paint the fans in UV paint and have a UV cathode in there, so you get some nice glow off the fans :)

Alternately with the fans, you could add a led in there, and make them into "Glowy fans" :D this one looks seriously cool ;)

Also you could mod your NIC (if you have one) and have the activity LEDs on the front of your case... looks awesome with all those flashing bl0000 leds :D

try some of these for starters :) (The last one is the hardest ;) )

BiGGiE

10. BannedMojo

BannedMojo Banned

Black, a splash of light radiating from behind inside that little inset grill bit at teh front - just a bright LED... blue LEDs on a black case would look very nice...

Good luck...

11. Geek

Geek What's a Dremel?

With the LED thing, you'd want a dark background to really show off the LED, I'd think - you could do black and green, or dark green and blue, or dark blue and red. I'd do black/green, but that's just my taste :--)

Gordon

12. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

how bout some usb ports on the front thing? you could take them off the metal bracket and mod the front to hold them !

13. I was thinking about a blowhole on top but I ran into a small problem, the PSU and Drives only give a very small space in between them. I didn't measure it and I'm at work atm but It is about as wide as a 5 1/4 drive is tall. I had an old hard drive fan that fit into a 5 1/4 slot and it was about a perfect fit.

Also, on the removable side panel there is a metal sheet. It is very thin but if removed it doesn't look possible to affix onto the panel again. After looking at it for a while It seems as though it helps hold the side on. I would send pics but my friend is borrowing my cam.