1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Long Pause between pressing the "on" button and actually seeing anything.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BloodlessDawn, 29 May 2012.

1. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Post on mine takes about 10 seconds, then the four colours of the windows loading logo just about finish flying into place when they are replaced by the login prompt.

2. Jackypoos

Jackypoos Will it blend?

I post in about 3-5 seconds on my new Mobo. Pretty sure it was RAM compatibility issues with my ASUS board. That was at least 10 seconds before I got my beep :c

3. BloodlessDawn

BloodlessDawn I know nothing.

After speaking to Bindi (I think he knows a thing or two regarding ASUS products... haha) he suggested an issue with memory could be causing the long pause between pressing the on button and seeing post. Something about the memory being retrained? And following that he also suggested upping the voltage.

I've googled in a couple of other places regarding memory issues and voltage. I've found many people suggesting that when they use 4 sticks or more, they up the voltage slightly.

The question is now: what should I up the voltage to?
    The Memory is Corsair Vengeance 4GB (SKU# CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8). 4 Sticks = 16GB in total. I believe it runs as "standard" at 1.5v.

Any help would be great :)

Will also ask Bindi regarding this.

4. Jackypoos

Jackypoos Will it blend?

Have you tried the Mem-OK! button? I always thought it would be good up to 1.65V; but that may be the memory controller on the CPU, though I had mine at 1.65V with only a little extra heat generated.

I ended up just replacing my board, though I should have bought an expensive one in the first place ;)

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Do people still disable all of the features they aren't using in the BIOS? Such as LAN, onboard sound, RAID controller, firewire, IDE controller (if you are only using SATA), USB3 etc (depending on what you use).

I have always done this as a matter of course along with only filling 2 memory slots... I'm sure this helps POST times.

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I totally do. LAN, Onboard Sound, Firewire, Serial Controller. The whole lot is canned. I keep USB3, though, simply because I need the extra ports on the motherboard.

7. BloodlessDawn

I definitely agree, it'll help the POST times to no end.

The problem is the time between pressing the on button and actually getting to post.

Bindi is sure that my RAM is being retrained each time. It doesn't "remember" it because it's at a low voltage. I assume this means it isn't running as fast as it should and the BIOS remembers this. So next time it boots it "forgets" the old ram and looks for the new (working better) ram. Which it should do when I've got the voltage right xD

Going to experiment tonight and will then let you know if I find a fix :)

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yep, but it's only on a cold boot that it happens. Which in my house is all the time, as we switch off every switch, that is not in use. :)

EDIT: Is the OP running a OC, as this can delay the boot?

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jun 2012
  9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's normal. It's the motherboard doing DQS training to check the memory and IMC stability I think.

Solution: never turn off your PC.

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

And increase global warming :p:D

11. BloodlessDawn

For me, no, it's not only on a cold boot. Happens on cold, luke-warm, and hot.

Doesn't matter whether it's switched off at the mains. shut down then started, OR even restarted... I get a black screen for at least 14 seconds before POST even comes up.

Is DQS training absolutely necessary? If not, is there a way to disable it? :)

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Might this be my problem as well? I believe the comment for one BIOS revision mentioned a bug with 4GB of ECC memory. Also, I'm still waiting for that 1501 BIOS that's mentioned for my board on the CPU support list. ;)

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Without training your memory won't work. I'm just guessing though. Something is happening which the BIOS engineers feel is necessary.