1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Quite a bit this weekend, actually.

Sons of Anarchy Seasons 1 through 4
    7/10
    Clearly, this wasn't made for back-to-back watching. While characters are strong, and Seasons 2 and 3 are GREAT, season 1 is a tad slow, and season 4 rehashes old stuff, although it does make me want to watch Season 5.
    Chalrie Hunnam is GREAT as well.

The Guard (the 2011 Irish flick with Brendan Gleeson and Don "Captain Planet mother****" Cheadle
    7/10
    Good fun, though you really need to be in the mood for a cunlture shock-flick. An American in Ireland is bound to be fun, and Gleeson and Cheadle play off each other well. Enjoyable.

Fright Night (2011 remake with Colin Farrell)
    7/10
    Again - Enjoyable, funny (mostly because Collin Ferret makes the worst bad guy... pretty much ever), and well paced. The way cheap horror should be.

A Good old fashioned Orgy
    6/10
    Not as funny as I had hoped, but funny enough, and lots of semi-naked women. Call it a "teen comedy aimed at the mid-20s".

2. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Saw this last week was a really gd film till it got to the end fight sequence, went too far with it.

7/10

Though their are 2 more planned now and a possible american remake.

3. alf-

alf- Minimodder

The dictator 6/10

It's certainty better than bruno, but its not particularly amazing either.
    There were quite a few really funny scenes, but the majority of the movie was just, meh.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Contraband 8/10

This one really exceeded my expectations (which were... Mark Wahlberg). One of the best action movies I've seen in a while.

The Raid 9/10

Excellent, probably would have gotten 10 if the subtitles had been done by an English-speaking person. Amazing fight scenes and very well paced... brilliant movie.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Iron Sky 9.5/10

****ing Brilliant, not only did it push all my buttons in terms of science fiction geekery but it took absurdity to a whole new level, incredible to believe it was made on only $7.5 million. Political satire at its finest.

Last edited: 30 May 2012
  6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Avengers 9/10

Loved it, especially
    the look on Loki's face when the Hulk pounded him "Stupid god"

7. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

ftfy :thumb:

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Dr. Strangelove

9.5/10

Elton likes this.
  9. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I want to watch that movie so bad. Dunno if it will show here though :( Will buy it as soon as it hits the shelves!

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Finally watched Alien - 8/10

I enjoyed it, thought some of the shots were slightly odd, lingering for aages at points where I didn't really get it, that may just be the directors style, not sure.
    Considering the age of the film, it's aged quite well apart from the space scenes where there's no sense of, anything really.
    The film racked up the tension well, and you felt for the characters, had me jumping in my seat once or twice aswell.
    Not my genre of film really in general, hence the maybe slightly lower score than others may think.

Also watched Safehouse - 7/10 a couple of nights ago.
    Really enjoyed it, as always Denzel played his part beautifully, and I was impressed by Ryan Reynolds, since I've not really seen him in that kinda role before, thought he did well. The story was nothing particularly special, but the film had some decent scenes and just overall well worth a watch.

Last edited: 31 May 2012
  11. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

First time? If so, did you spot the alien hanging in the chains when Jonesy ran off to hide?

12. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Tongue in cheek Sci-Fi B movie which stumbles a little at the end but overall, very well made. Loved it.
    :thumb:

13. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Watched this last night

Best poke at politics have seen in a while and just a decent sci-fi that isn't trying to be serious

14. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

When I first saw that I almost pooped, you wouldn't notice it unless you were waiting to see it!

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Err, don't think so?
    Got all of the rest of the Alien series now, and am getting the Predators aswell :)

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Prometheus 9/10

So, Prometheus....

Damn good watch. Really enjoyed it. Solid cast, good script, great score, fantastic effects (proper sets for a change), some really good suspense/tension in it.

It's been hyped to hell and back. I went in with uncertain expectations, but generally high hopes and I wasn't disappointed. So many good nods to the original Alien and Aliens. Prometheus is NOT a direct prequel, so bear that in mind, but damn it's good.

Going to see it again so it all sinks in. :)

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

The Raid - 9.5/10

A fairly simple plot and cast, but my god or an action/fighty/shooty/killingy film is great.

The choreography for some of the fights is down-right spectacular

18. chrisdj

chrisdj What's a Dremel?

Prometheus - 9/10

just seen it at my local, and am really impressed. the first movie that used 3d in the correct amounts, and not just to wow. acting good especially fassbender, and some eye candy in charlize. plot so so but hey its the alien universe. a good sci fi yarn, a fantastic musical score, good use of visuals. a must see in my book, especially on big screen and in 3d! :clap:

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Looking for a non-3D review of Promethius.. anyone?

I want to IMAX it.

20. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Well Ridley Scott said on 5Live this avo that it looks beautiful in 2D (the lack of reference to how it looked in 3D may or may not be significant), but I guess he may not be as objective about it as you may like.

Will be avoiding 3D at all costs. The last film I saw in 3D may as well have been in black and white, the colours were so washed out. Promotheus visuals look like they deserve to be seen at their best, which to me means 2D.