1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other 12v SMD LED Strip lights

Discussion in 'General' started by TaRkA DaHl, 1 Jun 2012.

1. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Anyone use anything like the following:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEDER®-Flexible-GARDENS-AQUARIUMS-KITCHENS/dp/B003N8ESHW/ref=pd_sim_light_3

Says it will run off a standard 12V supply. Rather than buying the 3 I would need, do you think it would be possible to run off an old Pico PSU I have if I just cut the wires off the Molex connectors and soldered them together?

Obviously I would disconnect the remaining wires from the PSU.

If possible I would also get some new wire and extend the cables through the plasterboard so I can run all 3 sets off the one PSU.

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Just looked up the specs. The maximum current pull of a single 3528 SMD LED is 30mA, which means 360 of those will pull: 360*0.030A = 10.8 Amps, which times 12v will be just around 130 watts. Adjusting for differing load levels and the inefficiency of any circuit I would say a 150w PICO PSU should be up to the task.

TaRkA DaHl likes this.
  3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Sounds good, cheers

4. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

One thing to keep in mind is that those LED strips are RARELY ever hooked up with a single LED + resistor from 12V -> GND. It would be safe to assume that the LEDs are hooked up in the typical 12V strip configuration of 3 in series with a single current limiting resistor for the sub-array. This reduces parts count and also reduces power dissipation in the current limiting resistor, since it now only needs to deal with 1-2 volts instead of 8-9 volts. All it would take is a quick visual inspection to confirm, but if that is the case then really your math is more like this:

120 LEDs per reel * 3 = 360 LEDs, but hooked up in series of 3 + current limiting resistor with each sub section drawing 30 mA; and you are really looking at 120 sections of 3 LEDs. Each section of 3 + resistor would draw 30 mA. so 120 * .03 A = 3.6 A at 12V. This equates to 43 watts of power [not including voltage drop over the strings themselves]. To be safe I would go with 4-5A but to answer your first question: I agree with Picarro, you can easily use a computer PSU for this. Just remember which wires you need to jumper to turn it on.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2012