1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding DIY 3.5" adaptor for SSD

Discussion in 'Modding' started by CozaMcCoza, 6 Jun 2012.

1. CozaMcCoza

CozaMcCoza What's a Dremel?

Has anyone tried making their own 3.5" adaptors for a SSD?

Just got a new SSD and it didn't come with an adaptor to install it to my case. Was wondering if anyone had a go with bits and pieces lying around incase there is an easy and cheap solution

2. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

most people just screw them on on one side because there so light.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I bought mine direct from Crucial for about £3.50. Nobody is so poor that they can afford an SSD and not an adaptor.

(I'm sorry, that sentence wasn't in the spirit of modding but you'll appreciate the sentiment!)

4. CozaMcCoza

CozaMcCoza What's a Dremel?

I suppose screwing in one side would be the way to go. Thanks for the suggestion.

The only reason I ask is that my SSD arrived today at work and I really want to fire it up at home tonight, but I don't have time to get my grubby hands on an adapter which was why I was asking if anyone had built any.

Cost isn't really a problem, I was just more concerned with time

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

As long as you don't start polka dancing whilst cuddling your rig, I'd say it'd be pretty safe to fire it up resting somewhere in your case for a few days. There are no moving parts so the worst that can happen is the SATA cable gets disconnected (again as long as the case is stationary).

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Building a tray for your SSDs to fit in the 3.5"-cage is pretty easy, especially if you're doing it only for a single SSD, but fitting two SSDs is not that much harder either.

Little bit of 1mm aluminum and the usual tools like a Dremel etc, that's all you need. Bending 1mm aluminum is easily done without a press-break aswell.

[​IMG]

If you want to do it even easier, then grab some strong rubber-bands to fix your SSD into the 3.5" cage.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2012
  7. jon

jon Chief Phrenologist

You beat me to it, jrs ...

I was going to recommend tin snips and an altoids bin ... ;)

8. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

My SSD and 4 of my hard drives are just stacked on the floor of my case. Life is all good. You could always just stick some Velcro on the thing as well :)