1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Workstation for Motion Graphics

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DoctorBeat, 5 Jun 2012.

1. DoctorBeat

DoctorBeat What's a Dremel?

Hi fellas

I'm currently on the verge of updating my good, trusty and old workstation.
    My current specs are the following:
    Case: CM Stacker 832
    PSU: corsair HX620
    Mboard: Asus p5q deluxe
    CPU: intel Q6600 (oc'ed to 3.4GHz)
    CPU cooler: thermalright ultra 120
    Memory: 8Bg OCZ
    Graphics card: ati 4890 (with a skythe Musashi)
    Sound card: X-fi Gamer Fatality

It's a rock solid machine, i've replaced (and added a couple on the side panel) all the stock fans with noctua fans, the temps are great and the system is damn silent.I have a fan controller
    Silence is very important since i use my pc as my jukebox as well, (ive some gorgeous sounding Bowers & Wilkins 832 hooked to a CambridgeAudio Azur 650A amplifier, for a true audiophile audio)

My primary use will be for creating motion graphics, film FX, animation, photo editing, that kind of work. My primary programs are Maya, Zbrush, nuke, After Effects, Photoshop, so they squeeze every hertz of your cpu, and the eat a lot of ram.

I've put a list of material, with power and silence in mind. I want to overclock the well out of the cpu,, don't want com compromise on the stability and longevity of the system, since it will be rendering overnight very often with 100% cpu usage.

- The premium option -
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 - 225 €
    Corsair HX 650 - 135 €
    intel 3770K - 310 €
    2x CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 1600MHZ VENGEANCE - 260 €
    Corsair Hydro Series H80 - 100 €
    ASUS XONAR ESSENCE STX PCIe - 160 €
    Fractal design define R3 - Titanium Gray - 100 €
    DELL 23" U2312HM - 184 €
    TOTAL 1.474 €

- the cheaper option -
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 - 225 €
    Cooler Master Silent Pro M700W - 105 €
    intel 3570K - 232 €
    GSkill PC3-12800 32GB Ripjaws Z CL9 (8x4Gb) - 200 €
    Arctic-Cooling Freezer i30 - 32 €
    ASUS XONAR ESSENCE STX PCIe - 160 €
    DELL 23" U2312HM - 184 €
    TOTAL 1.238 €

OBS: the graphics card will be the same since i have it soft-modded to a ATI fire pro, and it works great.
    I have to replace my X-fi since it's the pci version and the sabertooth doen't have pci slot's. I need a audiophile stereo card, no fancy 5.1, dts or dolby.
    the dell display will add to my good old benq FP241w, for a dual display setup.

So what suggestions do you have? i'm counting on your expertise to advise me of some mistakes before i buy the hardware. always keep in mind the silence, my goal is to achieve a very stable overclock with minimum noise possible. And if you have suggestion of what i can make to lower the price without compromising the performance, i'm all ears.

Thanks

Last edited: 5 Jun 2012
  2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Wrong section, but here it goes anyways...

I'm a user of 3dMax and Photoshop myself as a graphics designer and I know what I'd buy these days, if I wanted a reasonable priced rig with lot's of power for graphics-software.

I'd go with a socket 2011 CPU, first the CPUs have hyperthreading and secondly they have quad-channel DDR. You'll heavily notice the increase in performance.
    My list would look like this...

intel Core i7-3820: €300
    Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3: €210
    Kingston HyperX Blu 32GB (4 x 8GB), 1600MHz DDR3: €250
    Corsair H100: €100
    Fractal Design Tesla 650W: €80
    Fractal Design Define R3: €100
    Dell 23" U2312HM: €180

TOTAL: €1220

Same price but way more power. If you still need a soundcard for whatever reason - which I don't think, as onboard-sound is rather acceptable these days even for listening music - then buy something cheap along the lines of an Asus Xonar DSX for €60 or Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 for €40.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Thread moved over for you :thumb:

4. DoctorBeat

tks for moving to the right section

wow, even though i visit bit-tech every day, i never considered for myself a lga2011 system, manly because i was not aware for the cheaper i7 3870. (hexa core when they become cheaper (for a future upgrade), and quad-channel ram , I'm already drooling)
    I'll read some reviews and update my buying list this evening. will this cpu cope well with some overclock?
    My brother as the Cooler Master Silent Pro M700W, and the thing is damn silent. will the frantal psu fit the bill, even if i overclock?

thanks for the advice

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The i7-3820 has a locked multiplikator, so no overclocking there I guess.

However it performs equally or better then a mildly OCed i7-3770k (let's say 4.2 GHz) as it has double the bandwith due to it's quad-channel RAM. The Cinebench, Blender and POVRay benchmarks done with the two parts show these results. In addition you have better options in upgrading to a more performant CPU in the future.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2012
  6. DoctorBeat

hi there,
    been doing some extensive research and found that the i7 3820 is easily overclockable thanks to a special capability of the sandybridge-e platform which is the unlocked "bclk" and that makes it practically a k edition, even though you are overclocking via the bus, the high multiplier makes things much more manageable.
    you recommend the corsair h100, but it seems that it will not fit the r3 unless we cut some holes in it. i didn't find the Tesla PSU selling here in portugal

as for the gigabyte board, don't take me wrong but i've been using asus for more than a decade and it never failed me, my first system (a Pentium III) still runs 24/7 as a server. but i've build gigabyte systems in the past and they are rock solid as-well, so its a matter of personal choice. and most people on the forums are overclocking using asus boards, so is easier for me to pinpoint some wrong settings if the overclock fails.

so my final specs are (hopefully)
    ASUS SABERTOOTH X79 - 300 €
    Cooler Master Silent Pro M700W - 105 €
    i7 3820 LGA 2011 - 290 €
    2x CORSAIR KIT 16GB DDR3 1600MHZ VENGEANCE - 260 €
    Corsair Hydro Series H80 - 100 €
    DELL 23" U2312HM - 184 €

i won't buy the xonar card since the asus has a pci slot so i can use my creative x-fi.

And that sets me back to 1339€ witch i think makes a very good system.
    tell me if you would change anything, otherwise I will order the hardware next monday and have system ready by the next weekend.

thanks for the tips
    Kind regards

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

700W PSU is probably a little overpowered, 500W would be fine for that system as the graphics card isn't high end.

8. DoctorBeat

is there such thing as an overpowered PSU?
    I don't mind dropping to the 600w bar, as long as it very silent and cheaper than the cooler master