1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Buying a suit - where's the smart money?

Discussion in 'General' started by Porkins' Wingman, 7 Jun 2012.

1. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

For me I've never needed a "good" suit, I've now got a good enough suit from Slaters at about £150 in black that gets used for interviews weddings and funerals. Another £150 suit in a sand colour silk and linen fabric used for my wedding in Florida, and now taken on any holiday that might require a suit in warm weather from M&S Collezione range. a stone colour suit From some were that I've worn once and never touched again and a cheap suit from M&S for £60 in black that's machine washable and acts as a backup for my main black suit. The £60 suit is rubbish but is a cheap fabric, fits okayish and looks like a cheap suit, however it does travel well and doesn't crease easily, so can get thrown in a case and forgotten about.
    the M&S £150-£200 range suits are fine, reasonable feel fabric, fit fine if your a "normal" shape reasonably hard wearing, and easily available and quickly adjusted for leg length when you need a suit quick. will it look like a tailored suit to those in know? no, but its a great price for an item your going to wear once or twice a year. and a fantastic price for office drones wearing them day in and day out.
    If there's a slaters near you they are great for calling into with a goo range of prices of off the peg suits.
    and go with a Black, Dark grey, or Dark blue colour, you can use them for anything light and colours are for when ... actually I have no idea when I would wear my stone colour suit ever again.

edit. since Hong Kong became part of China again and the British diplomats left, there are several Hong Kong tailors who send staff out to the UK to do measurements on tour each year, and then they make the suits in Hong Kong and send them back to you. its a nearly Thailand Holiday method for a tailored suit, without the holiday, and a little more expensive.

2. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I used to not care about wearing a suit, and in fact despised ever doing it. Then I found some suits that fit me well, I did get into better shape too, and I now feel completely awesome wearing a suit. It is such a confidence boost to wear a suit that fits well. After reading this thread I'm taking a few of my suits to get tailored to fit even better.

3. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Been meaning to say all evening but been rushing posts, this ^ is much appreciated. It's not the sort of stuff that just trips idly off the keyboard and I thank you for going to the effort of bothering to type this. I have no idea whether it's useful or not but I will certainly bear it all in mind when it comes to trying stuff on. Help yourself to the rep buffet.

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Well, I used to have to wear a lot of suits, and I just about guarantee you are all easier to fit than me (try having unequal length arms.) If you buy a suit off the rack (which has worked well for me in the past) then have it altered to fit, most people looking at you won't be able to tell the difference, and I'll echo what's been said-they really are very comfortable.

If I'm going to have one suit only, a charcoal gray or black is the only choice I'd call acceptable. Shirts should have French cuffs, and body type should determine both collar choice and single or double breasted. The thinner you are, the easier to pull off double breasted suits. A fun place to save money is finding silk ties at thrift stores here-you'd be incredibly surprised at how nice of tie you can find there. Want to vary your look but can't afford many ties? Learn more knots. Learn which knots suit which ties. Those two things alone can set off a suit and make your look go from $100 to $1000 with no money actually spent.

Shoes need to be comfortable above all else. I wear a pair of Bottesinis I picked up for $10 on clearance and they're better than even my boots I wear normally. If your shoes hurt, everyone will know it. If you can't dance in them (ballroom/swing, not that junk they call dancing these days) they aren't comfortable. For many years I wore black suede swing shoes with my suits and nobody was any the wiser that they were meant for a dance floor and not a boardroom. All they knew was I was light on my feet (small wonder.)

Pocket square. For the love of all that's holy, please use them. Once again, small investment, big difference. It shows both potential employers and potential business allies that you pay attention to details, and that you are willing to go that extra mile-and women love a man that's properly well dressed. Can't find a pocket square that matches? Boutonierre. The Art of Manliness has an EXCELLENT piece on this little-used accoutrement and how it can be useful in so many situations.

Got all the above? Are your fingernails trimmed? Is you hair at least recently cut? If you wear body jewelry (plugs, etc) are they clean and in good repair? Do you know which end of a comb goes in your hand and which goes through your hair (I already assume you know these things, but the person that comes behind you, who knows what will happen. I have seen 1000 dollar suits snowed in under dandruff.) In the end, a suit is about the little details-the crease of the pants, the pocket square, comfortable yet presentable socks-not just the major expenditure of the suit itself.

Porkins' Wingman and Elton like this.
  5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

This reminds me that I need to get my suits tailored to fit.

6. Porkins' Wingman

From my perspective some of this was superfluous but for the effort and detail I thank you, you may make your way over to the rep buffet marquee when you are ready.

I think it also maybe illustrates a point - if you work on all these details it's probably going to have a bigger effect than whether you've spent £200 or £800 on the suit itself (provided the fit is right).

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Nah, I knew some of it was superfluous for you, as you're apparently well on your way to dapper dress. It's for those that come after us looking for the same info.

I used to get paid to dress decently. I never forgot it. I miss having the reason to dress well.

8. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Whoever it was that mentioned Baumler is a pro. Epic quality materials from them.

Also, when you get it altered, it can be a really good idea to go to the company that does the alterations themselves and get it measured. Sales bitches don't always know how to do it properly and often get it wrong.!

9. splatdeath

splatdeath What's a Dremel?

Just out of interest why are you wasting money buying suites in the first place? Is this because your employer says you must waste you own money wearing a uniform they want you to?

M&S or similar trousers or combats and a shirt is all i've ever bothered with. If company wants me to wear a suite they can pay for it.

10. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

If your in or near Glasgow. Slaters is the place to go. That's where I got my first suit. They also do kilt hire if you ever need one :)

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Matter of self confidence. If you're well dressed you act a certain way. It's pretty psychological. Plus I mean you look good in a well fitted suit.

12. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

What about job interviews etc?

13. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

*suit.

If you have to wear a suit to work you are expected to pay for it - your company pay your wages and wearing a suit is part of your job.

You're company shouldn't have to babysit you.

14. ultrastapler

ultrastapler What's a Dremel?

www.asuitthatfits.com

just got my 3rd suit from them. better material than any otp suit i've ever bought with the added bonus of mtm that they actually fit you properly. never paid more than £400

15. splatdeath

splatdeath What's a Dremel?

Guess my work life has just been a bit differant.

I do own a suit or 2 for weddings etc think they were hand me ups from my brother in law.

Nope Elusive not for interviews, combats and t-shirt at last one, got that job.

Think my point is that i am a little surprised people put any stock in the way a person dresses, its very victorian tbh, thought the world had moved on.

16. Porkins' Wingman

I agree entirely, and I am in no way (despite how some might have interpreted this thread) out to try and play the game that some have eluded to in this thread about status etc. as I personally have no taste for the try-hard look.

But by owning a couple yourself you presumably acknowledge that there are some occasions where it's not worth the hassle of shunning convention (however retarded said convention is), such as weddings, funerals, and a significant proportion of interviews. Hence I have one suit to fulfil the need when it arises. But my problems with the suit I have is that my Dad is 2" taller than me so the trousers are too long (and just too big in general); the trouser lining and main pockets are ripped; the whole suit looks dated and is not worth paying to have it altered/repaired etc. Add all these issues together and it makes it a suit I wear only because it's the only choice I have unless I go out looking for a replacement. And I just figure, with the suit not getting any better looking as time goes by, and with me thinking of looking for new jobs soon and a big family wedding coming, perhaps I should update it and if I'm going to do that I may as well do it properly.

Hence I said 'bang for buck' - no-one is going to convince me to part with more than £300 (maximum), no matter how good they reckon it makes them feel - I have no self-esteem issues in this respect.

Going back to your point about it being Victorian, our parents generation seemed to perpetuate too many Victorian customs, and it both surprises me and disappoints me at how many of my generation and younger just follow the lead with no regard for the absurdity of it.

17. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

For everyday wear I have TM Lewins or Austin Reeds. 2 Button, never black (unless a pin-stripe) as you only wear a black suit for funerals and always wear a shirt that needs cufflinks. If fitted properly you should have about 1cm of shirt cuff showing. I always go for a Windsor or St James collar as they look good both with or without a tie. Really good point about shoes as with Lewin, the trousers come unfinished so you need to be measured up. No turn-ups on the trousers either!

Haven't bought a nice suit for a good few years as my waistline is expanding to a point where I'm outgrowing half the suits I own. Would be a bad investment.

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Having worked in recruitment I've seen people sent away at reception before their interview fir not having a suit many times. It's also common for employers to demand specific haircuts.

Certainly dressing well carries with it many psychological connotations of success, effort, etc

Just as the vast majority of psychological studies finds that we automatically assume more attractive people to be more trustworthy and intelligent.

Not to mention of course that around 80 percent of fortune 500 ceo's are above average height. In fact a little reading up will tell you that heightism is at least as preverlant as sexism in current society.

Your appreance is vital - it shouldn't be, but it is.

Taylored suit everyone.

19. fev

fev Industry Fallout

I've decided on someones chance at getting a job on whether or not they were wearing a suit.
    First time was at O2, you're facing the public daily... I want to see if you can look presentable.
    Currently it's recruiting for an office, even though it's a casual office... still want to see you putting an effort in to impress.

20. RTT

RTT #parp

Everything that this man said.