1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Problem with RAM on Maximus IV Extreme-Z

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mattyh1995, 9 Jun 2012.

1. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I have an issue where i can't boot if I try and put memory in slots 1 & 2. Currently I have the memory in slots 3 & 4.

I know practically nothing about this particular area but would like some help diagnosing the problem if possible. All's I can say is it's running at 1600mhz with 9-9-9-24 timings at 1.5V. It worked fine earlier, but when I rebuilt my of after cleaning they don't work anymore :S

It hangs on error code 2E or 34 on the debug LEDs meaning "Memory initialisation" and "CPU Post-Memory initialisation" respectively.

Any help would be much appreciated ^^

2. narwen

narwen narwen

ram should be in the second and fourth slots from cpu

3. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Shove that RAM in slots 2 and 4 and you need to RAM it home, its a tight fit to get it deep into the groove. Unless you really give it a good push to get it into the slot it could look like its in but its not in to the full depth. That last bit of thrust gets it home.

I had one of them Maximus IV Extreme-Z boards and the RAM is a tight fit to get it in nice and deep to locate correctly.

Itchy Rim

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

*head explodes*

5. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Tried. If there's a stick in either the 1st or 2nd from the CPU, it won't boot. At all. There's nothing in the slot, nothing wrong with the RAM :S

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Tried just one stick in the 2nd slot?

7. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Tried all combos that can be done with two sticks.

8. Kodongo

Kodongo What's a Dremel?

Firstly, do not force them in like someone above said. If they weren't installed properly, the motherboard wouldn't recognise them and you wouldn't have this boot problem. Once they click in, they are good to go.

I had exactly the same problem with my Maximus IV Gene-Z where I was only able to get single channel with the memory. I tried three different sets of memory sticks and the same problem occured with all of them; basically it refused to boot with anything in slot A1 or A2 (nearer the socket).

I went over to the ROG forum and posted this:

to which I recieved the following reply from an Asus representative:

Asus Support UK told me to take it up with my vendor as I had a one year warranty with them, apparently.

At the time I thought: forget it, I'll just plough on with single channel. After a few weeks, however, the loud noises from the RAM when being used and the slow performance (E8600 + HDD in dual channel booting two times faster than a 2600k + HDD in single channel :jawdrop:) I finally decided that the downtime would be worth it.

I was expecting to be without my motherboard for a while but luckily, Amazon UK does this quickswap where they will send out the exact same item straight away if I agree to send back the faulty one. I only spent two days without a mobo. The new one works perfectly well.

To summarise, of all the cases I have read, the problem seems to be physical and therefore cannot be resolved by a BIOS update or playing with certain settings. Your best bet is to RMA and get a replacement.

Good luck with the problem and I hope I helped.

9. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I'll get on to Scan.co.uk about this then. I thought i'd stuffed something up when I was rebuilding it in some way. I'll have another check tomorrow afternoon and get my RMA filled out tomorrow if I get no luck. Thanks for clearing it up ^^

10. narwen

narwen narwen

Have you tried mem ok ?

11. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder