1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New PC for Video FX/Editting and gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Palhil, 8 May 2012.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Which units is it missing?

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

The 580 is build more for GPGPU. With the 680 being based off the 104 chip (the 460, just with a fair few improvements), it's biased more towards just game rendering, so the GPGPU falls off, and as a result; so does Video Rendering Performance, at least in the Visual Effects role.

The 480 was released to be more of a multi-use card than just Graphics, remember? (With all the sarcasm and hatred of it we all had on launch; how could you not?) - the 680 was a return to just pure Graphics performance.

3. noizdaemon666

I know that :p lol My question was more technical as in what does the 680 have missing that the 580 has? I thought it was more related to the new design and layout rather than something was physically missing.

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I can't remember if the 680 has as many "Compute" units as the 580. I know it's lost a fair few, but the compute units were really just optimized shaders anyway, so it's likely that Nvidia just reconfigured the shader pipelines for graphics rather than GPGPU performance.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Cuda cores are what is missing below

680 has 240

580 has 512

6. noizdaemon666

I thought the 680 had 1536 CUDA cores?

7. rollo

rollo Modder

guess me is wrong pretty sure thats why the performance in vid rendering is poor

8. noizdaemon666

I'm guessing it's the change in architecture and layout and complete redesign of how the entire thing works.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

10. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Why would anyone be using a discreet GPU for video rendering?

Use the internal graphics from the i7 CPU, it is way better than using a discreet GPU. Also, if you install LucidLogix VIRTU software it automatically switches between the two video systems, ie, for gaming it will use the discreet GPU, for encoding and rendering it will use the internal graphics of the i7 CPU.

Itchy Rim

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Because Quicksync support isn't great, especially with high end editing programs. There is a Quicksync plug in for Premiere, but it's output options are very limited. It also has some limitations, and only really works well if it's a simple encode or transcode. Any scaling is still CPU based, as are most effects.

Also, Virtu still has some issues with certain games, and does introduce some latency.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2012
  12. Palhil

Palhil What's a Dremel?

I'm probably going to stick to the GTX 670. I won't just be doing video effects work on it, I'll be playing games too. I always suspected that the CPU would be doing most of the hard work when it comes to rendering.

I'm going through the components now trying to find the best prices. Amazon seems to be beating a lot of the Scan prices I have at the moment.

Has anyone got any better suggestions for the 2TB hard drive? One of the Amazon reviews for the Seagate drive I have listed pointed out that the warranty was now only one year. Didn't hard drives used to have 3 year warranties?

13. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

14. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

If you were to do any serious work on it I would look into a backup solution. You mention in the first post that you have several external harddrives. Are these used for backups or do you need pointers as to what would be a good backup solution?

15. Palhil

Palhil What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the recommendation mikeyman198.

Picarro, I plan to get a Synology DS212j at some point. I'd like to be able to access files when I'm away from home. It will also act as a back up of the important files on the PC.

16. Palhil

Palhil What's a Dremel?

I can't believe it's taking me so long to bite the bullet and just order this thing. Anyway, this is what I think the final spec is going to be.

As listed on Scan here

Does that still look good? I've gone over budget.

I'm going to try and find the bits cheaper elsewhere. Has anyone bought from the BT Shop? They actually seem to be a bit cheaper on a lot of items.

Also Does anyone know when ordering from Scan do all the items come in one box or does everything come separately? I'm trying to work out if I should get them sent to home where there is a risk I might miss the delivery/deliveries. Or sent to work and then figure out how to get them home (I don't have a car)

Hmmm

17. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

1. You dont need the white version of that RAM this is fine.

2. The H100 isn't necessary, something like the Dark Rock Pro will cool the CPU as well as the H100, is cheaper and quieter with stock fans.

3. While the Performance Pro is good, the Samsung 830 is much cheaper and not much worse than the Corsair.

4. After Bit-Tech's review, the UD5H doesn't seem too good, so the GD65 is a cheaper option.

And would you look at that, suddenly we're in budget.

18. Palhil

Palhil What's a Dremel?

Looks good. I have to admit I'd read a few comments about the H100 having noisy fans. I was being swayed by how neat it looked.

I actually had the Samsung 830 in one of my early specs. The trouble is I see a good review and I switch. I'm so fickle.

I don't know much about motherboards but the UD5H had got some good reviews. Importantly it has a Firewire port on the back which would be handy for a couple of Firewire external drives I have. So I think I might stick to that.

Thanks for the advice.

19. Palhil

Palhil What's a Dremel?

Hello again.

I've started ordering bits and bob for my build. One of the items on it's way is the Corsair 600t case.

I've decided to get the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2 BK017 cooler. But before I order it I just wanted to check that it will definitely fit in the case. Can anyone reassure me that it will? The 600t is a pretty big case and I won't be having a side fan. So I'm assuming that it should be okay. I'm also getting low profile ram, so that shouldn't be an issue.

It's kind of nerve racking spending all this money in one go. I'm scared of getting something wrong.

20. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

Since your video editing, like others have said, more memory and hard disk space is essential. I suggest multiple hard drives and possible some sort of RAID array. Also, the more cores the better. Something with 6-8 cores would be good.