1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Want to upgrade to SSD (weird hard drive connector)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theshadow2001, 10 Jun 2012.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I want to upgrade my laptops hard drive to an SSD but my concern is that instead of a normal sata connection to the motherboard there is a weird adapter connected to the hard drive. I'm hoping that it's just some sort of connection adapter and not an indicator of some unusual non SATA hard drive standard. The hard drive itself is sata but I just want to be sure. Forgive the photography it was done impatiently on my phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

It might be a good idea to let us know what kind of laptop it is you're dealing with :)

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Surely if the HD is SATA, just plug the SSD in to this funky adapter and away you go?

4. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

Could be a Mac they use a proprietary sata cable on the iMacs.

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Order the SSD, plug it in, if it doesn't work send it back under the Long Distance Selling Regulations? See Blogins thread for more info.

6. theshadow2001

The laptop is an Acer 7535G

Perhaps but if there is any electronics or other interfaces between this connector and the motherboard it may affect the performance of the SSD or cause any number of issues. I'm not willing to put the price of an SSD down to find out. Hence the thread.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yet their laptops use totally standard SATA connectors. Only the iMacs have extra pins for temperature sensing.

...it works with a HD, ergo, it isn't going to cause problems. I'd just shove an SSD in there and watch it work. If you're that wary, find a cheap drive to try it on first - second hand SSDs are very cheap, especially for a 32-40GB model.

8. does_not_compute

does_not_compute What's a Dremel?

That connector is just a straight through adapter that is used because of the physical way that a laptop HD has to be installed. The drive can't just be pushed straight in like in a PCs hot swap drive bay. In a laptop it has to be pushed down from above.

9. theshadow2001

For the sake of completeness. The adapter was straight through. SSD works fine.