1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU picoPSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Evil, 10 May 2012.

1. Mr.Evil

Mr.Evil What's a Dremel?

my bequiet sfx 300W is dead, so I was thinking about getting a pico psu to save more space inside the case ...

do you think that a picoPSU-160 XT with 150 adapter may be enough for this setup ?

Intel Pentium G620
    Asus P8H67-I
    Corsair 2 * 2 GB
    Sapphire HD6570
    Artic Freezer 11 LP
    1x (maybe 2) NoiseBlocker XL1
    Crucial M4 128GB
    2 or 3 WD EARX 2TB

and with a more powerful adapter or removing the video card, would it change anything :worried: ?

thanks guys!

2. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

I'm not sure if a 6570 will agree with it, if you could stretch to a 190w picoPSU I would rest easier in your position.

3. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

A 6570 is rated to draw up to 60W and G620 has TDP of 65W, so I think you should just about be OK

Last edited: 10 May 2012
  4. Mr.Evil

Mr.Evil What's a Dremel?

thanks to both of you

on the same shop, i saw a 150W pico + 168W adapter, this could be a better solution ? or it change nothing?
    there is also a 160 XT with 192W adapter, but I'm a little bit undecided, I wouldn't have an oversized system if I remove the GPU...

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Your system is hardly oversized at the moment! Are you making a custom SSF Case for your system?

If not why are you looking at a PicoPSU? It'd be cheaper to replace it with a decent lower wattage mATX or ATX PSU...

6. Mr.Evil

Mr.Evil What's a Dremel?

well, I have already did a custom case for this cfg :D, but as I wrote, the SFX psu is dead now :wallbash: ...

now, I'm also considering to convert this computer into a server / HTPC, and with a picopsu I was hoping to save some space to add more disks.

anyway, this is my PC :)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

The reason I'd say to get the bigger one is that hard drives and optical drives can take up a lot of power, more than you'd expect. It's also always better to have way more PSU power than you need, as that lets the power supplies operate at maximum efficiency.

8. Mr.Evil

Mr.Evil What's a Dremel?

Well, I sold my HD6570, and I finally turned the PC into a fileserver ...

Now, do you think is enough a picopsu for a Pentium G620, four green HDD, one SSD and two 120 mm fans ?
    and if so, what model ? 120W is enough or should I stay on the 150?

9. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

120w would be enough, but go for the 150w. PSU's are always more efficient at around 70-80% load and the extra overhead will allow it to run cooler and therefore longer. And everyone knows that MOAR POWAR is always better.

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

If it's useful as a rough benchmark, I put a watt monitor on mine last week out of curiosity.

AMD X4 610e @ stock everything
    AMD 785g
    4x4GB DDR3 1333 @ 1.5v
    2x2TB Samsung F4
    2x SSD
    DVDRW
    1x92, 1x120 low power fans

Less power than I thought it would be - 40w from the wall at idle (e.g. having spun down the HDDs) and I couldn't get it higher than 89w no matter what I tried load-wise. Conservatively allowing for ~15% inefficiency in the PSU, that's a DC load no higher than 75w - you should be more than fine with 150w in there.

11. Mr.Evil

Mr.Evil What's a Dremel?

wow, this is an excellent result for a quad core CPU with 95W tdp!

so, for my pentium could be enough a 150w pico + 120W brick (140 peak) o should I buy a model with a 150w adapter ?

thanks again for the advice guys!

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

95w? Try 45w!

None the less, I'm still pleased that it's only sipping power, as it's on 24/7. Mainly though, it means I can keep the cupboard in which it lives closed up, meaning what little noise it makes is silenced. I used to have it cracked open all the time when a 955be was in it.

No harm in going for the larger adaptor. When I've used a pico previously I used an adaptor that was only just up to the task (a 65w brick with a system which pulled up to around 55w from the wall, chosen as it was the largest I could find at the time without a fan), and it got very hot at times, too hot to touch for more than a second or so.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2012
  13. Mr.Evil

Mr.Evil What's a Dremel?

You're right, I forgot the "e" during the research :thumb: ... the X4 640 has 95W of tdp, your (with the final "e") is only 45W ... my mistake

so, in the end, do you think is better to take an adapter with the same power as the pico, although 120 W are already oversized for my setup ?
    i'm asking, becouse I saw that 150 + 120 would be cheaper than 150 + 150 ...

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Your issue will be the hard drives.

2 or 3 WD EARX 2TB = 2-3 x 2A @ 12V at POST = 4-6A@12V already gone. That is 48-72W just for the hard drives. P8H67-I & G620 & RAM & SSD will jump to ~50-60W at the POST, so you are already at 100-132W for the boot. Without the graphics card.

And the question is the distribution of that power consumption. When you look at the manual, you will find out a disturbing fact - 12V - 8A (15A peak - max 60 seconds).

You could be fine without the graphics card, but you will be very close to the maximums of picopsu.

15. Mr.Evil

Mr.Evil What's a Dremel?

so, if I want to use 4 or more disks (raid 5) a picopsu is not an option :duh:...

Well, I think that I will take a seasonic 250su-ss, this should be good, right ?

Tags: