1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Filter opinion

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by evoyear, 9 Jun 2012.

1. evoyear

evoyear What's a Dremel?

Just want to know more about your guys opinion on Filters.

Is it necessary? Will the image benefit from it?

Last edited: 9 Jun 2012
  2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

What sort of filters? C-pols, NDs and graduated filters all see use in a variety of situations.

As for UVs, there are two schools of thought on them and the Jury's still out. I tend to keep them on and cleaned as much as possible, because I'm paranoid and clumsy.

If you're spending half your shooting time indoors at a studio, it's hardly justified.

YMMV

3. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I use Nikon Clear fliters because I'm paranoid but the last few years, I've really only used them when my lenses are stored and light use. When shooting concerts I remove them because I've had issues with flares because lights shining right into what I'm shooting.

4. evoyear

evoyear What's a Dremel?

great input, thanks.

I read a book says with Polariser filter you can make sky bluer, so i am thinking using PL for sky and UV as a protection. Or I can just leave the PL with my lens all the time when I am outdoor?

from ebay listing,they said MC UV filter can reduce glare, is that ture or just false advertising?

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

MC stands for multi-coating. this reduces glare.

any piece of glass (UV, POL, ND) produces glare, coating reduces the glare.

i've just noticed a massive glare spot in one of my night shots. that's using Hoya HMC UV filter. so during night time shots, it's best to remove them.

for polarising filter, i looked at my shots, they do affect sky a little depend on direction of shot. but not as much as the water, they are magical when shooting water.
    [​IMG]

6. evoyear

evoyear What's a Dremel?

you bought a polariser as well as UV filter? I thought you only got one.

Water looks realy good

7. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I'd say filters do have their place, but it depends pretty much on what you tend to shoot.

If you are a landscape guy, then definitely, NDs, polarizing filters and especially grad NDs should be in your kit.

I'm using a circular polarizing filter & an ND400 myself for the occasional long exposure shot.

I guess UV filters have their place in some situations, but I've never used them. I could maybe slap one on if I were on a sandy beach or photographing waves so close that there would be a risk of a splash. And yes, if I have to shoot in a pouring down rain it would be recommended by Canon to complete the weather sealing, but that hasn't happened yet either.

I take good care of my gear, but I'm not too paranoid about it. Some dust or fingerprints on the lenses, no worries for me since they clean right off.

And to answer your question about leaving the polarizer on your lenses permanently, I wouldn't recommend it. You'll see the why yourself once you got one, but it knocks about 1 stop of light off your lenses when you put it on.

Silver51 likes this.
  8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

here's a great guide on filters:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm

note the part about polarising filter on wide angle lenses. the comparison shots used by companies are probably pointing their camera at a specific direction to produce the large colour difference to the sky.

thanks.

i've got 1 polarising filter that i only use when i see fit. 3 UV filter for all lenses as protection rather than anything else. also a set of cheap ND and ND grad filters.

9. evoyear

evoyear What's a Dremel?

thanks a lot for your input, and I think I know more about filters now.
    Good, need different filter for different occations.

10. veato

veato I should be working

I don't use protection/UV filters.

I do have a collection of filters though e.g. ND, ND grad, Infrared and CPL. All can be useful depending on what you're shooting.

11. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I gave up using UV filters after the first one a I bought as it added glare and I believe UV has little effect on digital sensors. If your shooting primarily next to salt water, then possibly use one just to stop the salt and making cleaning a little easier. If I want protection, I'll use a lens hood.
    I've even given up using ND Grad filters, I'll now take to shots at different exposures and combine in post, its a 10 sec job in photoshop to blend with a grad, and stops me from needing to carry several hard and soft grad filters.
    I now only carry a CPL, as you can't duplicate its effect in post, and a 9 stop ND for when I want slow exposures in bright light, ie smoothing out the sea.
    my kit of square filters and holders now sits at home and the two screw in filters with a adapter rings for the different size lens sits in my camera bag.

12. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

In most cases they help. In some specific severe cases, they make it much worse. Clear filters don't do as much to avoid flare as UV's. I stopped using UV filters years ago.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2012