1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Have you fallen prey to Bit-tech's mech keyboard obsession?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shirty, 9 Jun 2012.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

You could probably sell the Choc Mini for £70 if you are willing to give it up :p

2. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I already have an SSD ;)

3. longweight

I thought you might!

4. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

Which returns to what I was saying about them being novelty items. IMO ( :) ) they're not worth the upgrade until the rest of the build is done

5. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Upgrading a keyboard makes a difference that you won't know until you try it.

Similarly upgrading your headphones from your much-loved skullcandy's that you thought was the best that sound could get, to K701s or something, you would never have though such a difference could exist until you actually tried it.

A keyboard is not just a keyboard, its a vital part of how you use your computer.

6. longweight

I was very close to buying a new GPU as my 570 can't run the U2711 on Ultra in BF3 but then I realised what a waste of money that would be so I spent it all on keyboard stuff instead :D

7. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

That's completely fine, I'd probably do the same, were I content with my build

8. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

But with a keyboard you can only go up to a certain extent. Past which there are only personal preferences over looks and brands.

With a CPU, GPU... you can be sure that there will be something better in a year. With a keyboard? Not so much

9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I can't see how that's a point against mech boards? They're VERY well made, great to use and look much better than the usual crap (IMO). You buy a decent board to begin with and you won't have to buy another one the next year.

Much like cases. But you don't see us spending £17 on some cheap crap do you?

10. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I don't imagine anyone would ever spend on a keyboard before they are satisfied with the rest of their build. Because you don't know what your missing and you can't imagine what improvement it could make. So why bother, when you know exactly what a new CPU (for example) would give you and you know you want that? Same with audio.

Once you try a mechanical however, then if given the choice again between upgrading components or upgrading a rubber dome to a mechanical you would start seriously thinking about it.

11. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Which makes a keyboard a much better investment.

You can go to a certain point like you said. We don't upgrade our mechanicals, we buy one (per switch if so inclined) and then bask in glorious comfort for the next 5 years or so of our lives. Join the club and discover

With a CPU, buy one now that gives a smaller improvement over your current, or instead buy a mechanical now that gives a massive improvement over your standard rubber domes and get a CPU next year that is much better than your current one.

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Same and same. I'd rather upgrade my internal components before my external components, but saying that it should be understood that there is a limit to how far those go. My PC is capable of doing everything I want and doing it well, so I spent on a mechanical keyboard and am now looking at an IPS monitor. It's budgeted into the overall PC lifespan as part of the build, which brings me to:
    "Done" is a funny word with PCs. If you're putting a set budget towards building a new PC and calling it "done" then perhaps, if you have a performance level to meet then you might not have spare money. However, this time quickly fades away. The hardware will keep on serving its purpose for a year, two years or more before actually needing an upgrade to keep meeting its performance requirement. In this time peripherals enter the field. The internal hardware may be "done" but the PC is not, the outside is just coming into play.

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'm with Mars, don't see how that's a negative, since if you buy a decent one now, you won't have to do it again for aaaaaages
    Whereas with a gpu/cpu you'll have to upgrade far sooner, how on earth is that saying spending money on a gpu/cpu is more sensible?

14. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

My point isn't against mech boards, but rather that they're not as important as core upgrades to a build you are not yet content with

15. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Ahhh okay. See you've changed how you're saying that now. You were saying when people were done with their build and now it's content.

Another way to look at it is, what does a build actually encompass? Just the tower? Or are you looking at all the external stuff like the KB, mouse, speakers etc?

16. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Even if other components needed to be upgraded, I would spend £30 on a quality cherry G80 mechanical during the upgrade no doubt at all, and anyone that has tried mechanicals would very very very very likely do the same.

17. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I have 5 (not all in one system!) and would take more sooner than a £70+ keyboard. Good thing we aren't all looking for the same thing, everywhere would soon be out of stock :)

18. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Any reason for that?

19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Awesome avatar btw

And you need some guidance my friend :)
    Once you have all your PCs kitted to the max, you gotta start thinking about peripherals mate! Monitors, keyboards, mice, its all about the experience

20. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Not sure which part of my post you are asking that about...

I have several SSDs as I have several systems (including benching systems that could make use of a separate 60GB SSD for different benching scenaria).

If you were commenting on my saying shops would run out. Well, that's basic economics, if something is wanted by everyone it's rarely available in the same quantities :)