1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple New 15" Macbook Pro with 2880x1800 res

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Picarro, 11 Jun 2012.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Yes, it is running at 1440x900.

2. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Not surprising as asus have got 13" ultra books with full HD IPS screens.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

in that case, it's really not that much of screen space to be honest. it would even be a step down for those 1920x1200 MBP users.

might as well buy the Air IMO, same screen real estate, but more practical as a portable computer.

edit: 1920x1200 15inch and 17inch are gone!

Last edited: 12 Jun 2012
  4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Like with the iPhone, the tech behind the display will be slightly different than people are used to. it will still "look" liek a 1440x900 screen (or proabably rather 1400x900), but apps that support it will upscale to 2800x1800 and increase in crispness.
    Apps not specifically made for the iPhone 4's retina display also work without having a half-sized logo, don't they?

It's the biggest hurdle for Samsung, for example, that they can match the resolution of the iPhone screen, but not the pixel density without compromising useability. The tech used is different there, and that will eb the case for this screen as well.

Bottom line: That 15" MBP with retina display looks like an amazing piece of kit:
    Ivy Bridge @ 2.3GHz + Turbo Boost (out of the box OC that on the 2.7GHz flagship makes it jump to 3.7GHz), 8GB RAM, 2x Thunderbolt, HDMI, SD Card, WiFi N, 256GB SSD, USB3.
    All of that at half a kilo less than the previous one (and 6mm less height) sounds VERY appealing to me...

5. wyx087

[​IMG]

am i seeing this correctly? reporters using ipad to take photos??!?

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Probably got one device to liveblog from, taking pictures and pushing them along with text is better than juggling five devices.

Pretty cool, actually.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5996/how-the-retina-display-macbook-pro-handles-scaling
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5998/macbook-pro-retina-display-analysis

Basically, it's awesome.

Default mode is, as suspected, 1440x900 that is pixel-doubled. However, scaling works at multiple resolutions up to 1920x1200 (which matches the now-defunct 17" MBP). No 2880x1800. However, to bypass quality issues, it looks like Apple are doing crazy things.

If you want to run at 1920x1200, the desktop is rendered internally at 3840x2400 (pixel doubling, best quality) and only then is it scaled. Equally, switching is very fast, so I can see people actually changing scaling depending upon task.

Not only that, the cover glass is gone, the panel is IPS and glare is down.

Gaming reveals the full 2880x1800 resolution. However, if not updated, tiny tiny text ensues.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Dout we will see this on other laptops Due to apple buying the supply of all retina panels for the future

9. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

The AnandTech "Display Analysis" article if anything confirms my fears rather than allays them - look at the screenshot comparing Chrome (not updated for new display, using scaling) to Safari (updated for the new display).

@Guinevere, yes, I certainly recognise Apple has done a lot of work towards the transition, but only Apple have. I don't buy their products, I'm only interested in this display technology for when it makes it into standard monitors that I will be able to use on Windows.

The work they had done is a reasonable interim workaround, but it is just that - a stop gap compared to proper support in applications. Taking an existing application and simply turning each pixel into a 2x2 grid of pixels isn't going to enhance the quality at all, it's just a way to get around the "tiny tiny text" problem.

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

True, but the bottom line is that all the big applications will start supporting the retina display. This will include Chrome, the Adobe Suite, etc. They all adapted to Retina displays on the iPhonce/iPad as well...

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Simply put, that is the developer's problem, not Apple. Apple have provided the technology and a best-attempt workaround for non-supported apps, but the onus is on developers to update their software. HiDPI is going to be the next thing on the block, and they need to bake in support.

Why should Apple be castigated for pushing hardware? Everything starts somewhere.

12. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

I agree, and it wasn't my intention to castigate Apple for introducing it - quite the opposite, I welcome new higher resolution displays.

I was simply pointing out that there is a lot of work to be done by the industry in general to properly support them. Legacy applications, video standards and most significantly graphics power are all going to need significant work/improvement before they become suitable for general use, at least for Windows users - it seems Apple have a definite lead on that first point at the moment.

13. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

The ability to have more real estate as an option is of course great, but how it looks at 1920x1200 we'll have to see. The biggest issue with the HiDPI displays is that you either increase the resolution without gaining real estate, or you stick in a really high resolution "standard" DPI panel. The solution to all these problems would be to increase the HiDPI resolution even more, but the cost to do so is :waah:

Must say, however, that I think the HiDPI displays are a must with mobile devices. wuyanxu, I really don't know how you have found there isn't much difference between the 3GS and the 4, as small text on the former was completely unreadable!

14. wyx087

perhaps my eye sight is going, i always zoom right in. or used the reader feature whenever possible.

yes tiny text was unreadable on 3GS but neither are they on 4 unless my nose is touching the screen.

15. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

that sheds some magnificent blinding white light on the situation. I give it about a week after they start getting to users before 2880x1800 can be selected for normal desktop use. As far as application support, give it a couple months. I'm impressed that he was able to get 20 fps in a relatively intense scene in Diablo III. I don't know how optimized that game is for Mac, but it still shows that the GT 650 has some grunt. Once again, the biggest downside comes down to storage space. If they only offered 512, or maybe 368 as an option for the base model, I wouldn't have any problems. As it is, I'll have to see whether or not cheapish fast and convenient Thunderbolt storage solutions have arrived by the time I have the money.

16. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

For looks or performance? Because I personally would and have gone for the Asus g75 and 73 previous to that, but that is performance, they look ok

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Okay, I just bought the bottom model, so I can let you all know how it is...once it ships in 2-3 weeks! Now need to offload the Air.

18. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

I think it's more for feel than either. Looks probably play a part into it, and the performance is fairly average, as GPU power goes, but the feel is probably beyond the current G series. I know that my old '09 MBP feels way better than a friend's '10 G series, in terms of build quality, trackpad and keyboard, sturdiness, weight, and that's disregarding the OS entirely.

19. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Am I reading this correctly apple can not manage to force scaling for DPI set char in the system level...... you know like DOS.

Please tell me I read that wrong.

20. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

apple still trying to sell their gimmicky displays of to their oblivious fans ?