1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Ivy Bridge Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Posicoln, 12 Jun 2012.

1. Posicoln

Posicoln What's a Dremel?

Budget:
    £1000 I need a monitor as well which can go over
    Main uses of intended build:
    Gaming: SC2, Minecraft (also run a server), some media editing, folding when available.
    Previous build information (list details of parts):
    nil
    Monitor resolution:
    probably 1080p - looking to buy one ~£100-150, possibly looking at more in the future. I know that the 560 Ti 448, and most nvidia cards only support 2 outputs, can you run a third off of the GPU integrated chip? If not it is not a reason to buy a better graphics card - 2 will suffice.
    I want nvidia as running ubuntu, and AMD linux drivers are, well, dire.
    Storage requirements:
    Mass storage ~ 1TB, thinking about combining with an SSD - is it better to manually configure the arrangement to boot from SSD, store on HDD (don't mind time to set it up) or use intel smart response SSD caching?
    Will you be overclocking:
    Yeah!
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
    Fan headers as I don't want this machine to be too noisey but dislike fan controllers as I think a computer should be automatic. It needs to be quiet as I sleep in the same room as it...
    Extra information about desired system:
    Will be running ubuntu, don't go yelling at me saying I can't GPU fold on ubuntu, or gaming is a problem - I know ways around that...
    As I said I need this to be quiet as it is in my bedroom.
    First ever build.
    Parts required:
    Current Plan
    CPU: i5-3570K
    CPU Heatsink: Artic cooling i30
    GPU: 560 Ti 448 (but which is quietest/best cooling? tending towards MSI twin frozr ATM)
    PSU: Corsair HX650W (modular)
    MOBO: Gigabyte UD5H (just don't like the gene)

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
    OPTICAL DRIVE: DVD RW

STORAGE: SSD/HDD combo, looking at:
    SSD: 120GB, not really sure what - any ideas?
    HDD: 1TB Hitachi 7k100.d, SATA 3
    Obviously if I used smart response i would use a smaller SSD.
    I think all of that is going to work, please tell me if I am wrong:
    now for the case.
    Needs to be quiet with at least one front USB 3.0 port - mid size tower

Fractal design arc midi: possibly too loud?
    HAF 912 plus: no USB 3.0
    Corsair Carbide 300r, but again, too loud?
    Fractal design R3: best bet I think, but adequate air flow?

Is this just overkill for what I want it for? I know folding doesn't really have a limit, I want something that can do all of my other things with ease, but can also fold well.
    Thanks in advance,

Posicoln

Last edited: 14 Jun 2012
  2. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

3. Posicoln

So could the integrated gpu run as well as the graphics card?

4. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

The noise from the stock fan of the PNY GTX 570 is questionable. About £10 more and you can get the MSI Twin Frozr III edition which is better overall.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2012
  5. Posicoln

It is so frustrating not being able to post replies without a moderator approving, but thanks both of you. I have never heard of PNY read a little bit and it seemed okay - apparently they're stock model - I think i would go for the twin frozr III. I am guessing you thought that the 570 was worth the extra cost over the 560 Ti 448? Is the difference really noticeable?
    So would it be possible to run a third monitor of the ivy bridge IGPU (not to game on, but for browsing/status windows etc...) in that mobos bios?

6. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

The 570 will always be better than the 560Ti 448, and costs the same (on Scan at least) and if the fan on the PNY is questionable, then go ahead and get the Twin Frozr III :) As for the 3rd display, I think that requires lucid virtu, but im not sure...

Edit: I think it'll work... Link

7. Posicoln

Thanks both of you - if it doesn't work I'll just get another cheap GPU and shove it in there, would add to folding too.
    I am assuming that virtu isn't just a windows software thing, and hardcoded into the chipset, right?

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Virtu is a software thing (has to be installed). Comes with motherboards that support it.

9. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Not sure if many will agree with me here, but if you really are overclocking then i wouldnt go for an ivy bridge chip.

If it were me i would get a 2700k instead. Same socket, board and cooler. But the chip will overclock nicely and will not produce the insane temperatures that ivy will.

Especially in a r3 which depending on your fan config can get a little toasty. Just my opinion :)

10. aNuclearPidgeon

It really depends on how much you want to overclockand what voltage you set goes across the chip.

11. Posicoln

I am going for a moderate overclock, nothing really high - hoping to get something like 4.3-4.5 GHz. Even if I didn't, it will still be a way faster than any other computer I have ever used :).
    the 2700k is still a lot more expensive than the 3570k, and I don't really have a need for all those extra cores.
    Do you think it would be better to put more fans in than the stock configuration? perhaps add one into the front and buy another one to put as an exhaust? (Would move the exhaust down so front fans matched).
    Overclocking isn't too big of deal, from what I undesrtand the 3570K is still pretty good at stock, but I would want to push it up a bit, but I have heard IB is difficult to overclock - must play gently.
    Also, I would have to have a different mobo if i went on sandy bridge chipset as for front USB 3.0 is not native to SB... I had considered the previous gen, but they haven't come down in price enough to make it worth it.

I should also add that this is my first build (so never overclocked before) , but i have read far too many guides/watched far too many videos - I think I know what I am doing :)

Last edited: 14 Jun 2012
  12. aNuclearPidgeon

well according to some benchmarks they say that 3770K OC @ 4.2GHz is faster than an 26/2700K OC @ 4.5GHz. So I'm guessing the same applies to the 3570K & 2500K.