1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Prometheus

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 22 Dec 2011.

1. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

I liked it but then again I'm the kind of person who just accepts it for what it is. I had high expectations and yes there were a couple of parts I felt were pointless and didn't bring anything to the story but I thoroughly enjoyed the couple of hours.

Visually it's pretty amazing. I can't see 3D so I can't talk about that but as a standard film it looked glorious.

Michael Fassbenders performance is the standout performance in the film. Its a shame the rest of the crew got relatively little character development but at the end of the day I knew their names, their reasons for being there on the ship and really thats all I felt was needed to enjoy the film.

The script wasn't great, the acting was sufficent if not spectacular, the story was a bit aimless at times and the script left something to be decided but you know what? i don't really care. I'm no film critic. I went in to it just wanting to be entertained and it filled its purpose pretty much. I enjoyed it plot holes and all.

My question still remains did Alien, a 70s sci-fi horror icon really need further explaination? Personally I don't think so.

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

The real thing didn't reached the expectation level but the whole movie wasnt a disapointment. I put it in the same bag as Avatar, just a bit more thrilling.

Ps: Prometheus isn't a prequel to Alien, it have its own agenda.

3. dieharder

dieharder What's a Dremel?

4. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

i really enjoyed the movie. Got me thinking about it long after the credits.

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Watched it on 3d.

Films are being dumbed down, its ok to make an adult slightly high brow movie that is gripping and meaningfull.

They were all in the pyramid, then there was some big issue and they all had to leave, then straight away two guys are back in the pyramid and every one else is back at the base? That was disorentating.

The two feild guys in the pyramid that got stuck in there because of the weather a little later on, and had to wait untill morning....

The captain is watching and they stumble uppon the large collection of Engineers piled up and the captain was not in the least interested.

there was movement regularly from the ball sensor and he had no interest and turned off the camera and left them.

....? If this film is ment to be in the same leage as Alien then can we have some adults in the script and dirrection production team of film making again like they used to do years ago?

compare terminator 1 to Terminator Salvation...

I understand a very large amount of Americans can not concentrate for more than ... 4 seconds and ideas have to be double layered and repeated so that they follow along but come on, on the important big films that are meant to be "classics", or follow in the footsteps of classics, its right to push the boat out and demand your audience are able to handle a mature film.

Sit down and watch Alien, Aliens 2 and then watch this film, a film can be done in a real and life like manner to how those chracters would actually be, watch 2010... aliens, abyss, abyss was a little bit cheesy a touch but it is a CLASSIC, it worked, where was the scence capable when they got stuck in the sub and the water was coming up, that is cinima right there, that is LIFE, and yes I know in Prometheus they nearly got blown away and that was great but that is bruce force effort to blow us away.

This film is like Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Also not sure if this is acureate but look at this.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Jones_(franchise)
    [​IMG]

That is a pretty interesting chart right there, where are the Indiana jones 4 awards?

What does it mean that there isnt any..

It means some one needs to do a rethink about the way movies are done.

Where are the Raiders of the Lost Ark films today?

And its not do with Budget either, film cost $120–130 million

Sci fi is ment to be thougtfull, impacting, resourcefull, ingenious, defining, your soul and dreams are ment to be believers of what you have witnessed.

Sure we are not going to get Star Wars every time we go to the Cinima but lets have a demanding rewarding film to watch.

Also yes its ok to have a scotish person cast in main leads in films but its also becoming a bit of a cliche?

What are they doing that so the American audience can feel that they have had a exotic cultural night out, give me a break.

Also I did not assoicate with any lead chracter,

David was interesting but there was not enough about him in the film, we needed more of him since he had the presence.

How about Michael Fassbender(david) as lead captain and Charlize Theron (blond girl) as the on board Robot???????

More of a stronger lead, more suspense, less fool hardness and a greater seriousness on the reality of what was being done.

Also I would like for there to have been more time on the cold unforgiving nature of space, the nature of exploration, a 2 to 5 minute pan and visual of practial life in space with out human voice, for the viewer to have been force to be a true part of the ship through a greater binding with chracter and situation.

SCI fi is ment to embroil you, the only things I remember about this film are.

1-The part when she uses the emergency surgory machine
    2-The excelent fx of the engineers (good models ) and the fight one had against the ocotopus or what ever... the old dude with stupid aged face that looked fake, some mountain with stuff in there that was dark, a nice strom scequence

Maybe im being to hard, but for sure this film was not as gripping as Alien 2 thats a bad example but aim high and make it works thats your job, thats why 130million dollars should buy,??

The film was bland..............right......... it was dull .

Also lol at this review here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/

Everything looks beautiful and the world is quite fascinating. But it stumbles when we go to the script, storyline, and the characters.

Yeah so just the whole film then..

It also suffers with weak character development. It looks like the soulless character of the film, Android David, has more soul than the human characters.[/img]

Lets go back to basics..... because its in the basics that problems can be found...

Lets go back to 2009 for example with this film..

Sherlock Holmes (2009)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0988045/

Right click on the above link to IMDB and scroll down to the actors...

Scroll down to Mark Strong - Lord Blackwood,

right, click on his name and look at his picture...

if you dont want to do it fine ill post the picture here:

[​IMG]

who is that.... who does that look like.............. thats sherlock holmes.

Why is hollywood putting above said guy in Sherlock holmes major motion picture as the baddy, Lord Blackwood.

Hollywood is the LAST place that good movies are made, they are not there to make GOOD movies that are meaningfull, that add to your life, that are visual AND in story AND ACTING rich experiences.

Lets put it this way.... you wont find me in a Cinema for the rest of my life.... I may buy a dvd or watch some thing online but as far as im concerned the film making business is over.

6. The Toy

The Toy The Ticking Time-Bomb

Get this man some P.T. Anderson and Darren Aronofsky, STAT!

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I think you missed a part of the film, ater the found the decapitated engineer Fifield & Millburn (geologist and biologist) said they were going back to the ship. When the others get back to the ship and those two are not there, they are then shown walking around (got lost) saying they have been here before.

Because Vickers has just offered him a sh*g he's not in the mood for a

Not sure how you thought that David wasn't one of the lead roles, he had way more screen time than the captain which was a minor role really!

Vickers, David and Shaw were the lead roles in the film IMO.

There's a big chunk of the film missing as soon as Weyland appears, hopefully this will be sorted in when the extended directors cut is released.

8. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Don't watch Hollywood blockbusters then, there is a world of films that aren't made by big studies. Films where character and plot development are more important than special effects and bums on sears.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I don't see why everyone's beating their chest making out like this was a terrible film. Maybe because you all watched exciting teaser trailers?

To my mind it was a good solid Sci-Fi, nothing to proclaim my love from the rooftops about, but some very nice visuals, good soundtrack etc. It's always been the way with Alien et al to leave chunks of story unexplained. Imagine watching Alien again now, so much is without any explanation, yet you accept it. The same in Prom and it's scandal.

10. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Some people in here are starting to sound like those weirdos who write reviews on IMDB, that expect everything to be as critically acclaimed as films that are 20 plus years old.

You are over thinking EVERYTHING. People are not as impressed as they used to be, that is the simple truth. It's all been done before. If you filmed this with an old camera from the mid 70s you would probably cream over it.

Basically I'm just trying to ask said people politely to kindly stop talking sh*t lol.

11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I loved the 3D in this film, it was great to see it done realistically and not like bits had been 'cut out' and brought forwards.

12. Apocalypso

Sorry for expecting certain things from a movie i.e. a decent script, solid plot, characters developed beyond one dimension and actors able to deliver those characters as believable individuals.

If people don't want these things then maybe something by Michael Bay or McG would be more up their street because I was expecting something with a little more weight considering the back catalogue of Ridley Scott.

Cinema deserves better than apologists who are prepared to lower their standards simply because they think that quality is something that can only be achieved by films of yesteryear.

bob_lewis likes this.
  13. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

I think you are making it out to be far worse than it really is.
    The movie does has some issues such the part where nobody questions what happened to Shaw after she busts in on Weyland.

The "1-dimensional"character complaint kind of gets to me.The movie runs for about 124 mins. I don't think there was all that time to flesh out every bloody character. This is not a TV series and I think some people are expecting the characters to be unrealistically deep for a 124 minute film.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2012
  14. bob_lewis

bob_lewis Lurker extraordinaire

This! So much this!
    (rep was given)

15. Krikkit

This.

There were some flaws, I won't deny that - the two that stood out were the two guys who suddenly overcame fear to pet a weird alien, and everyone just ignoring a woman who's supposed to be in cryo wandering around with fresh operating scars covered in blood.

But expecting huge character development is completely over the top. Go back and watch Alien with a critical eye, you will see the same styles going on; we only know more now because there were 3 subsequent Alien films and a hell of a lot of back story/extra footage released for increased storytelling - another Ridley Scott theme.

Incidentally I was excited and crushed to learn that The Forever War is coming from Ridders - nice to see it get some recognition, but I'm sure it'll pale to the book's magnificence (probably my 2nd favourite literary work after HGttG).

16. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

^^^This +1

Yeah go watch a James Cameron loud bang cgi fest for the popcorn kids.

Apophis54 likes this.
  17. Krikkit

Fact is chaps, most people disagree with you - film critics and audiences both give it good ratings. Just because it doesn't fit into whatever fairy-tale picture you had of what it'd be like doesn't mean it isn't a decent film. :p

18. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

FTFY :D

Apophis54 likes this.
  19. Apocalypso

It's just over two hours which is more than enough time for a decent scriptwriter, however Lindelof who wrote/produced Lost, Star Trek is clearly not that person. It's not a TV series but it's been written as one. There are too many characters to develop if all they are meant to do is die.

This is an issue not with the audience but with the film.

It doesn't matter what I thought it might be, what matters is what it is.

Flashy effects and grand bombastic scripts don't make a sold basis for any movie without the depth or characters to carry it off no matter how many religious images and analogies you stuff in.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed watching it despite the flaws and I was hooked all the way through but that doesn't mean that I can't be critical of the points mentioned previously.

Most people disagreeing with the voices of dissent is not a strong argument otherwise Michael Bay would have an Oscar per film.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2012
    Apophis54 likes this.
  20. Krikkit

I see what you mean, but what I'm saying (again) is that you are judging it too harshly. There seems to be some mythical idea that this film is special because it's made by Ridley Scott and has some tenuous links to other classic film series. Fact is, most of his films are pretty average at best; he's produced a few brilliant films, no question. This is pretty average action-scifi type stuff produced today, I'd say it was somewhere between Avatar (at the crap end) and Moon (at the good end) of the scale.

Fassbender was awesome as the ambivolent android, Rapace did a decent job as Shaw, and the other casting was a bit generic, but not awful.

As far as ratings go I'm not just talking about random punters who go and watch everything with explosions, that includes genuine film critics who view this in a different area of film altogether as the latest Bay craptacular.