1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

They did since XP. Microsoft always pushed tablet PC's.

Super old picture:
    [​IMG]
    Man they have come a long way since these days.... And I don't mean iPad's, I mean the convertible ones. Now they finally pack decent battery life, powerful CPU (Core i5 or i7), and a really good capacitive multi-touch screen with digitize pen. Now, it only needs even better battery life, and dedicated GPU, and lower price tag (still around 2.6k Canadian/US fully equipped with 3 year warranty), and now things will be interesting.

Nvidia Win8 drivers aren't complete. The previous version of them, didn't have some shadow effect working in OpenGL. I did encounter 1 game (Fruit Ninja) that cause the game graphically to screw up with the latest drivers, the rest is fine for my GPU. So I guess you have to be a bit patient and check out for Nvidia latest beta drivers.

Sorry I don't have it.

2. ltlukelt

ltlukelt What's a Dremel?

I've been experiencing the exact same issue, as have many people on other forums. This crash has been around since the developer preview for some and it seems to be caused by either the network or GPU driver (It only crashes for me when using a browser).

3. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I've switched to Firefox and the issue has completely disappeared. Looks like there's an issue with Chrome, or at least a combination of one of my drivers and Chrome.

I miss some of the simple but useful features of Chrome. The ability to set any number of start-up web pages but retain a separate homepage was one I used. As was the ability to set a permanent zoom state to pages (I set it to 90%, which was nice to view on my monitor). It's possible to zoom web pages in Firefox, but it's each page separately, and the zoom state doesn't carry over to subsequent uses from what I can tell.

4. GoodBytes

Hmm check for add-ons for Firefox about the zoom. I THINK I saw something that does what you want a few years back.

5. CDomville

CDomville ^ I am THIS Possum

I'm having freeze issues as well issues on Sandy. Possibility of network traffic causing it, but not the whole issue, still crashing with me (less frequently than with Chrome) with FF or IE. Switched to 7 for now, as I'm watching Le Mans and want something reliable, but I'll do some more digging later in the week.

Not sure I'll be upgrading any more, I'll need to have a play with it through my Dreamspark Premium sub when it gets released.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

7. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I wonder if this is a fault in my installation of Windows 8. I can no longer save anything in the following programs: Word 2010, Firefox 14.0 and Adobe Acrobat X Pro. When I click on save or save as, nothing happens at all, no save dialogue box appears, and it's driving me insane. I've tried re-installing Word, and tried a bunch of possible solutions online, but nothing helps. However other programs are able to save just fine, including AutoCAD 2012, 3ds Max Design 2013, Photoshop CS6 and Internet Explorer 10. I've only just installed the trial version of Acrobat, and instantly it had the problem, so this suggests an OS issue, rather than the individual programs having issues. I know Firefox and Word were working until recently. I've checked for viruses and malware just in case, but nothing came up in defender and malwarebytes.

Anyone had any similar issues?

8. GoodBytes

so far none. However I would like to note that Nvidia release official, full, non-beta, Windows 8 drivers for laptop and desktops a few days ago. This might help with those who have a problem with Metro apps.

9. GoodBytes

Also in the news:
    Windows Explorer... is now called File Explorer (which makes more sense in my opinion), in Windows 8.

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

:lol:
    So, because people werent using it, Microsoft decides to force everyone to enter through the Start Screen.

11. GoodBytes

Windows 8 UPDATE Price
    Upgrade Windows XP, Vista or 7 to Windows 8 Pro for 40$!!!!!!
    Yea that is all! 40$!

If you want the DVD disk version, you can get it in stores for 69.99$

Source:
    http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/...07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx

Also:

So it looks like that their is will be a special license of Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro for System builders (us)... that or it's the renamed "OEM" license.

12. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

13. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Why is it a downgrade?

14. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Metro & having to pay extra for WMC and DVD playback is the obvious downgrade, also the fact that it is *NOT* a desktop OS.

Been trying to like it since I downloaded the CP ages ago, if they got rid of all the Metro rubbish and kept all the Media Centre stuff in the RTM it might be considered an upgrade - but it is an OS for touch enabled devices first with desktop elements tacked on.

15. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I might download this version tonight, I tried the DP and it was really nice.

Can you not use VLC for media playback?

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

when you buy the $40 win8 pro upgrade the mediacentre can be activated for free

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Dont get all the excitement on this.

18. fev

fev Industry Fallout

So I've been using Windows 8 for work, I like Metro in the workplace just start typing and then the app appears. Took a bit of practice not to hunt for the start menu but I soon fell in to it.

19. GoodBytes

I don't see how it is a downgrade.
    All I can say is that the default layout of the start screen, sucks. But once you create your groups, organize things, and add the needed folders for quick access to them, then now it becomes nice, and enjoyable to use.

My only complain is the search where their is no "All" filter. You have to pick in some fashion: File, Setting, program, or select a specific program from the list.

20. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Goodbytes they're doing that to stop the 99% getting confused between what are their files and what are the system settings - it makes sense to help those that don't actually love computers. Also, it'll reduce the amount of support that we have to give them!:D

Coltch - so you're ignoring all the actual improvements they've made to the OS over windows 7 (see here for a full list so far http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/ ) and only getting your claws into two minor things - both of which have been fully explained here