1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Noise cancelling fan...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by feathers, 9 Jun 2012.

1. feathers

feathers Minimodder

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Feathers for goodness sake, swearing in tags = not allowed. You know this. The fact that this is a really interesting video is the one thing that saved you from a week long holiday. This will not apply next time.

3. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I don't know what's wrong with my head to be honest. FFS.

It's not even Sunday yet and I'm swearing in tags.

It must surely be stress related.

So the noise cancelling fan could potentially mean a whole lot more cooling in future. I could fit some to my rad and have them spinning higher speed. Price would eventually become more affordable.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2012
  4. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Where's the speaker located for this correct me if i'm wrong but unless it is in close proximity to the fan the noise cancelling will vary highly with your seating position and whether you are in the right place for destructive interference.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Not to mention the fact that air turbulance within the case will create a lot of noise too.

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Must wait and see I guess. It's not gonna get rid of noise completely but should still reduce it. As you say - cases can amplify noise too but still I think this tech should make things quieter. Everything else is digital these days so I guess it's about time the simple fan became a hi-tech one.

Thought: if this is being built into a computer fan, why can't it be built into a computer case to cancel out any noise generated internally?

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

More to the point; Why the balls are they still using XP?! I know it's reliable, but it's been Eleven years, people!

Anyway; I'd love that kind of technology for my 550s. Those things don't have shriek if they spin up too high.

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I was one of the few who couldn't wait to ditch XP in favour of Vista because of the instability I had with it. Vista for me was far more stable.

My old MSI 560ti's used to be noisy too.

So the question is whether this noise cancelling design will be exclusive to Noctua or if it appear in other brands too.

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

A dedicated noise countering device to combat all PC noise would be the ideal solution. Imagine if it could cancel out noise from Delta fans! Also how would this technology interfere with the quality of sound coming from a 5.1 setup. Food for thought!

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

And then scale it up to counter chav noise... engine noise and also subwoofers. I've never even tried noise-cancelling headphones. I do remember when the tech was first shown on Tomorrow's World many years ago.

I do remember one of my Asus mobos coming with soundmax stereo mic and noise cancelling. The noise-cancelling was excellent... turning it on you could hear the fan noise all but disappear (wearing headphones, with the soundmax mic sitting a few feet away).

11. karagiosis

karagiosis Greed

The cancellation may be not perfect but given that at 5khz the wavelenght would be something like ~6cm, a small displacement ( between sources ) would have very little effect. I would be more concerned about vibrations transmitted to the case and lifespan reduction of bearings.

12. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

This tech work best on continuous signals, such as noise on a train/plane, not highly variable signals such as your chav's stereo..

dunx

13. Nomaipaker

Nomaipaker What's a Dremel?

Oh, man. It's pretty cool.
    But what i am concern about is performance.
    I usually wear my headset when playing video game.

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Don't know really. In theory fan should be able to spin full speed without the noise of a regular fan.

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The answer to fan noise is of course is to run two lengths of flexible tubing such as a tumble dryer exhaust tube up into the loft, one for the exhaust and one for the intake, and then install two powerful extractor fans to draw cold air in and push it back out again. Silent PC, lots of mess. :)

Reminds me of the chap (I can't remember if it was on here or on the old CPC forum) who had plumbed his water loop into his home's central heating system.