1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are full screen adverts back on Bit-Tech?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by greypilgers, 4 Jun 2012.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Due to this issue I've installed an AD blocker for the first time. So now thanks to one intrusive advertisement, when I visit the Bit-Tech forums now they can't tempt me by anything! Unless it's in the Marketplace of course! :D

2. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

I believe I was guilty of starting a new thread. For this I apologise:)

3. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

+1 to that. The site loads a lot quicker!

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Now you're making ridiculous excuses for not reading the thread. If you were trolling when you wrote that, you're a douché and I'm George Bush... Senior.

Something has to be done about the members who refuse to use any punctuation whatsoever. Please for the love of all that's holy can we STOP this now. I've seen about 4 members in the past two days post regularly without even making any attempt to punctuate their posts. It's ****ing unreadable.

5. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Can we please get rid of this IE9 ad bar at the bottom of every forum page? I know that I can pin my favourite sites to clutter my taskbar up even more. I'm running Firefox on Windows 7 and I am unable to middle click (open in new tab) any links until I close the ad bar at the bottom.

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

To give the editors and ad folks a bit of feedback, I'd just like to let you know that I actually closed bit-tech last night out of frustration. On the weekends, when I'm done reading the General and Serious sub-forums I often look through some of the other areas of the site, just to see what's new. After getting the IE9 ad on every page, and having my navigation abilities repeatedly hijacked, I got very annoyed and closed bit-tech.

Right now I'm browsing bit-tech on my phone and, while not perfect, the experience seems less intrusive and far less frustrating.

Apophis54 likes this.
  7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I've added the Fanboy Do Not Track adblocker to my IE9, so now no adverts at all now

Apophis54 likes this.
  8. daverobson08

daverobson08 What's a Dremel?

I have also installed AdBlock for the first time ever. An intrusive advert which tells me how to pin a website to my taskbar... on a tech forum?! Come on now, that's just plain silly.

9. Trevor28

Trevor28 Where is the cow?

Not a fan of the latest ads. Getting the same ie9 one on every page gets quite annoying.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Every fcuking page!

Not to mention the fcuking infuriating delay before you can click a link.

Up until now, I've been advocating patience and the hope for some compromise - no longer. We've been putting up with this intrusive ad for days, with no response.

AdBlock deployed. :miffed:

Apophis54 likes this.
  11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yep adblock for crome and tracking protection with the fanboy block for IE, How I miss those wonderful bt adverts :worried:

Seems bt should be advertising AbBlock, They've certainly encouraged a lot of people to use it lately :hehe:

Last edited: 17 Jun 2012
    Apophis54 likes this.
  12. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

+1 to this. AdBlock is now installed and my viewing of Bit-Tech is uninterrupted once more.
    An advert that prevents you from using the site you've visited is broken and should be removed until it's fixed.

13. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Ooooh yes, I also installed adblock and its amazing :D

Sorry bit - I would click your banners every so often before, but I like this forum and want to keep using it, and I know ill stop if things like that ie bar stop me :)

Similar to what teel said, but I reckon that ie advert is really an adblock advert in disguise!! :)

14. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

Stupid IE 9 advert on this forum

For the love of god. There is a stupid IE 9 advert on the bottom of this forum which takes the mouse focus away so I end up clicking like an idiot to read anything. I click the X to tell it to **** off and it comes back with the next topic.

Plus the advert expands and covers about a 3 inch bit of my screen so I cannot read the post topic its doing my F head in now.

Anyone else noticed this?

15. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

This is the 5th thread about this advert!

Please keep it all in one thread.

16. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Ad-block plus is your friend.

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Merging.

Also, people, it's starting to get annoying. You should all really be searching before posting new topics. It's been the top topic in the Feedback and Suggestions subforum for a week now, it's not exactly hard to find. It's basic forum etiquette to have a cursory look around for threads identical to one's own before posting.

Another thing, Bit-tech is funded by advertisements. We can't make up anyone's mind, but it might be nice if individuals who're recommending left right and centre that others' cut off Bit-Tech's funding applied some restraint.

18. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Whilst this I think is accepted by all, as you say this has been the top topic for quite some time, and little has changed.

I installed adblock after years and years of not having it TODAY, after ebay ads, and a few days of fail IE advert stopping me actually using the site.

Whilst I appreciate your position, in that it is your main source of funding, you need to realise that our main point in being here is being able to USE the forums, which the advert is making much harder for us to do.

If you expect us to capitulate and click on ads and stuff your marketing department needs to consider what it thinks people will actually click - it feels right now like we are being tricked into clicking, i.e. making it so we have to interfere with the advert in some way in order to get rid of it, and whoops, now we are on the website. Fail advertising.

http://www.ted.com/talks/rory_sutherland_life_lessons_from_an_ad_man.html is the link I believe your advertising department (or more like your advertisers) are looking for.

edit: those who suggest others install adblock are offering a practical solution to the problem of people in this thread, something Dennis (and therefore bit-tech) are either not doing or are too slow to do.

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Any chance it was a mistake moving it to GD spec? I assume it was merged from F&S with a thread in GD. It's more of a Feedback & Suggestions thread I think.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2012
  20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yeah that was a byproduct of merging. Didn't know threads merged in that direction :O

Moving back.