1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other iPhone Dev - game genres!

Discussion in 'General' started by pac-man, 14 Jun 2012.

1. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of delving into iPhone app development as a hobby and am interested in knowing the types of games you enjoy playing the most on your smartphones. Feel free to suggest other genres but i had ideas surrounding word games or a 2D platformer. Which would you be more likely to play on your phone?

I know it depends on the actual game and not just the genre but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts nonetheless.

Thanks,

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Really like games like jetpack joyride, and simple 2d games like doodle jump. Unlocks are good too :thumb:. Not really a fan of complicated games though...

Oh yea, and if you do make a game, you could make it ipad compatible could you :)

3. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

My personal favourites for mobiles (bearing in mind I am actually on Android) are puzzle games. For example, there is an app called Unblock Me. Aha just googled it and its also available on IOS.
    Linky

Geared is another example.
    Linky

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

jetset willy

5. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies guys. Hmm, I think I might go for a 2D platformer game since I think that's something I'll find more enjoyable to develop.

The next question to ask would be whether to make it endless i.e. see how far you can get (with objectives) or level based.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Whatever you do, be sure to keep in mind that it's a mobile game. People will want to hop in quickly and hop out whenever they feel like it.

The "see how far you get" setup works well for this because when a player sits down they start it up and go until they die and restart or are finished needing their phone for entertainment. Having either a variety of different levels to start (possibly unlocked after reaching certain scores?) or difficulty levels would help keep the game interesting over time. You want to get the player into the action as soon as possible so having to replay earlier easy sections every time would get old.

If you're going with levels try to keep them small. Short and quick little challenges which will require some trial and error in order to squeeze more gameplay time out of a small bit of content. A player might be able to complete a level in 30 seconds, but if that final run followed five previous failed attempts then you've squeezed some decent enjoyment out.

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Personally I prefer never ending, levels are also good (e.g angry birds) but as mentioned previously, it is often better to have loads of small levels than a couple of big ones.